U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
 
2,698 posts, read 1,686,656 times
Reputation: 499
Robbo: its no secret that gays tend to flaunt their gayness. You can't say that all of the discrimination (firing of jobs, etc.) has occured only because they were gay. I don't think we should discriminate against ANYONE. Making new laws won't really change anything. In todays world (lawsuits, harrasment charges, etc.) people are told to be mindful not to offend others. Shouldn't this policy apply to all people? If a gay person flaunts his homosexuality at work and it offends other co-workers are they supposed to tolerate it?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
 
1,155 posts, read 1,314,758 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
legal protection for gays only? Isn't that discrimination? We don't need more laws...Again, laws don't really protect anyone, enforcement does. If someone commits a crime against a gay person then they should be arrested. Likewise, if a gay person commits a crime against a straight person then they should be arrested. No special treatment!

Your argument couldn't be more bogus nor your logic more flawed. We're not asking for special treatment, we're just asking to be treated like everyone else. YOU cannot be fired for being straight, whereas I CAN be fired for being gay in most of the country, and therein lies the difference. I don't know how to spell it out for you any more clearly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 PM
 
1,155 posts, read 1,314,758 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Robbo: its no secret that gays tend to flaunt their gayness. You can't say that all of the discrimination (firing of jobs, etc.) has occured only because they were gay. I don't think we should discriminate against ANYONE. Making new laws won't really change anything. In todays world (lawsuits, harrasment charges, etc.) people are told to be mindful not to offend others. Shouldn't this policy apply to all people? If a gay person flaunts his homosexuality at work and it offends other co-workers are they supposed to tolerate it?
You either need to stop hiding behind this "flaunting" canard or come clean on its meaning.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 AM
 
2,698 posts, read 1,686,656 times
Reputation: 499
Smitty: if you don't know what I mean then I can't explain it to you. I'm not suggesting that all gay people are flaming, but there are many who are. Our country is very tolerant of alternative lifestyles, religion, etc. It is a shame that they are not as tolerant towards others. People need to stop blaming others when life doesn't go as they want. Everyone wants to play the victim so that they can get some sympathy from the mainstream establishments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 AM
 
1,155 posts, read 1,314,758 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Smitty: if you don't know what I mean then I can't explain it to you. I'm not suggesting that all gay people are flaming, but there are many who are. Our country is very tolerant of alternative lifestyles, religion, etc. It is a shame that they are not as tolerant towards others. People need to stop blaming others when life doesn't go as they want. Everyone wants to play the victim so that they can get some sympathy from the mainstream establishments.
I agree completely with everything you just said, but you need to take your own advice. You fail to see the irony in your own comments. If you can't "explain it " to me (flaunting/flaming), then you have no argument.

Last edited by smithy77; 01-13-2010 at 12:15 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
 
5,155 posts, read 3,350,431 times
Reputation: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Robbo: its no secret that gays tend to flaunt their gayness. You can't say that all of the discrimination (firing of jobs, etc.) has occured only because they were gay. I don't think we should discriminate against ANYONE. Making new laws won't really change anything. In todays world (lawsuits, harrasment charges, etc.) people are told to be mindful not to offend others. Shouldn't this policy apply to all people?
I really don't understand. Are you saying that it's ok to fire people not specifically because they are known to be homosexual, but because they "act gay"?

So a man can be fired if he's effeminate? And a woman if she's butch?

I've worked with people who never told me they enjoyed sex with their own gender, but their behavioral traits were common to some gay stereotypes, particularly speech mannerisms. If I had a male employee who was "swishy", should I be able to fire him because he offended me?

I've also worked with people exhibiting these same stereotypes to the point I assumed they were gay, but it turned out they weren't. Should they, a non-gay, be fired because they "acted gay" in the opinion of co-workers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
If a gay person flaunts his homosexuality at work and it offends other co-workers are they supposed to tolerate it?
Yes, absolutely, as long as he or she isn't "flaunting" in ways prohibited to straight people - e.g. hanging up pin-up nudes in his cubicle, using sexually explicit language, etc. If he or she performs the work duties, complies with the appropriate dress code, etc, it shouldn't matter if he keeps saying "girlfriend, that's fabulous!" or whatever it is you consider flaunting it.

I'm curious about what kind of "flaunting" has made you uncomfortable in your experience.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
 
2,698 posts, read 1,686,656 times
Reputation: 499
I never said that someone should be fired for being gay. The argument here is whether we need another law that protects gays only from discrimination. Refering to Robbo's position that straight people should tolerate gay people behaving in ways that offend them-- thats a double standard. Why is it that the gay person is assumed innocent? Why should they get special laws? If a co-workers behavior is offensive to thers then they need to tone it down... but, that doesn't apply if you are gay? People need to treat others with more respect, and stop hiding behind unnecissary laws.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 14,870,398 times
Reputation: 42329
This week's paper says Delegate Bob Marshall is now challenging the legality of this decision. His argument is that local governments are only allowed to do what the state allows them to do. He's gone to Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli.

With all the problems we have to deal with right now, why are our delegates wasting any more time on this issue?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
 
845 posts, read 1,437,211 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Should they be able to not hire people because they're ugly? Fat? Smell bad? terrible acne? No sense of humor? Which people get protected and which ones don't? Why do some count more than others?
If you have flown UAL lately, you would know the answer is no. What's next? A law for people on pogo sticks?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 14,870,398 times
Reputation: 42329
Getting back to the Nova angle.... what do you all think of this argument that local governments are only allowed to do what the state allows them to do?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top