U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM

79 posts, read 125,779 times

Advertisements

FRESH FRUITS FOR THE HOMELESS
FROM A COMUNITY FOR A COMUNITY
A COMUNITY SERVICE PROJECT BY ASPIRE0085 1/7/10

the vision

to inspire others that no matter how little a deed may be , that there is no limit to what you may inspire in others . my deed is as little as a fruit for the homeless . in hopes that others will reach out and help my cause or even find there own cause.
i am a courrier that drives throughout nva, dc , and maryland 6 days a week . i pass by homeless people throughout the days with there hands out asking for help, holding signs up saying hungry please help . i have been giving out parts of my lunch and waters for the last year . there is only so much i can give by my own means . if i had more to offer i would .i dont hand out money for i have no idea what this money would be spent on . so i came up with the idea for passing out fresh fruits , for they are rich in nutrients and can quench thirst and hunger.
i am reaching out to my own comunity to help me reach other comunitys by passing out fresh fruits to the homeless around the nva dc and maryland areas . all i am asking for are fresh fruits to help my cause . so that i can pass out more than just a fruit but a good deed from one to another . i hope to get enough fruit so that i can fill a bag of 4 fruits to each person in need that has a hand out with a measage of hope inside .
i know it is not much that i am doin but i am doin what i can with what i got . will appreciate any help anyone has to offer .

aspire0085
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Post first day out

i passed out two bags today it is the beginin to a long journey ahead, i have never done this type of thing before so i am stepping out into the unknown . if anyone has any ideas on how i may continue this journey i would apreaciate any help , tomorrow is another day

1st bag with the pic is of georgetown at the corner of Mst and 35th NW DC

the 2nd bag was at 15th NW Hst NW DC the other person did not want a pic taken of him
Attached Thumbnails
comunity project by aspire0085-h1.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-bags1.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-bags.jpg  

Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Default 2nd day out

today was very cold for most of the nva there havnt been many homeless people out lately , but i still am tryn to reach them one way or another , , today i was only able to pass out 1 bag to a man sitting in the middle of the park at the corner of Kst NW and conneticut ave NW . he appreciated it and said "i understand it is not much but it is something , thank you "
JAN 9 2010 DAY 2

NO PICTURES THIS TIME BUT TOM I WILL REMEMBER TO TAKE CAMEREA

Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Default day 3

today i passed out three bags one to a man at the corner of the 495 exit ramp and conneticut ave bethesda maryland , i aslo left one on a bench wit someones stuff at 6th st se dc and pensylvania st se dc . and the third one wit a man at 13th sr nw and g st nw dc

Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Since everyone else in Northern VA is late to the party on this. I will give you a thumbs up on what you're doing to help the homeless. They really appreciate it espically during this arctic weather.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Default 4th day out

today i passed out 6 bags three at new hampshire ave nw and 23rd st nw and at masschusetes ave ne dc across from uninion station , i got three pictures the others asked if i did not so i respect them i wish i could take all the pictures cause theses people appreciate it more than a picture could ever express,i have been rejected a few times i plan on thinking about how i could go back to them with more to offer so that they accept my offer. the ones that do let me take pictures are happy to let me . i had pictures from yesterday but the format of pictures wouldnt let me post them . well tomorrow is a new day i plan on gettin across to the whole city sooner or later . just one day at a time . JANUARY 11, 2010

thank you alanboy395 you gave me alittle more push ,
Attached Thumbnails
comunity project by aspire0085-homeless.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-homeless2.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-homeless-3.jpg  

Last edited by Aspire0085; 01-11-2010 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: to add date

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire0085 View Post
today i passed out 6 bags three at new hampshire ave nw and 23rd st nw and at masschusetes ave ne dc across from uninion station , i got three pictures the others asked if i did not so i respect them i wish i could take all the pictures cause theses people appreciate it more than a picture could ever express,i have been rejected a few times i plan on thinking about how i could go back to them with more to offer so that they accept my offer. the ones that do let me take pictures are happy to let me . i had pictures from yesterday but the format of pictures wouldnt let me post them . well tomorrow is a new day i plan on gettin across to the whole city sooner or later . just one day at a time . JANUARY 11, 2010

thank you alanboy395 you gave me alittle more push ,
I think I gave a bag to the third guy on a homeless outreach I did with my church last month. Was he near that traffic circle not too far from georgetown?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,795,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire0085 View Post
. . .to inspire others that no matter how little a deed may be , that there is no limit to what you may inspire in others . my deed is as little as a fruit for the homeless.
I remember awhile back when people would complain about the homeless folks being alcoholics and buying alcohol with the money they collected. In response, people passed the word around to give the homeless sandwiches, a bag lunch, or walk with them and buy them a cup of coffee or some lunch. I used to see students at GWU do this and I thought was great.

Kudos to you for taking on this task! Thanks for sharing your stories . . .

Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,898,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I remember awhile back when people would complain about the homeless folks being alcoholics and buying alcohol with the money they collected. In response, people passed the word around to give the homeless sandwiches, a bag lunch, or walk with them and buy them a cup of coffee or some lunch. I used to see students at GWU do this and I thought was great.

Kudos to you for taking on this task! Thanks for sharing your stories . . .
Yes, I agree. I was hesitant to comment on your posts at first because I thought it might be a scam or you'd want donations. But since all you seem to be doing is reporting on how your project is going, I salute you for doing this.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Default day 5 JAN 12 2010

today i passed out 7 bags i packed the bags with a pair of socks , a debbie cake the valentine special , an oarange and a bottle water , the first was to a man at the exit ramp of 495 28a and new hampshire ave i think this is silver spring maryland but im not too shore i dont wanna say the wrong thing but that was the corner, the second was at new hampshireave and piney branch rd maryland right down the street from the first. the third was at m st nw and potomac ave nw georgetown , this man said they same thing that alanboy365 was talking about, then the last 4 were right over the key bridge in alrington va , at the corner of lyn st and 28 i think , well today i got pictures of everyone except for a man who was missin a leg that asked that i didnt take picture of him witch i fully understand , but the bag left alone is where that man stood that morning, one day at a time , and tomorrow is a new day

i cant help everyone but everyone can help someone , i know that we all do good deeds
that may never be seen , but that doesnt mean they mean any less than any other deed, because it is all the thought that counts i would like to hear anyone who has done a deed and post there day here inspire others
Attached Thumbnails
comunity project by aspire0085-dscn0593.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-dscn0594.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-dscn0595.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-dscn0596.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-dscn0597.jpg  

comunity project by aspire0085-dscn0598.jpg   comunity project by aspire0085-dscn0599.jpg  

Last edited by Aspire0085; 01-12-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia