Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

In the game against Philadelphia Gilbert Arenas was joking around with his teammates and pretended his fingers were guns. As a result, he was suspended indefinitely without pay by the NBA commissioner.

So.... what do you think of this? Was it a fair punishment or too harsh?

Gilbert Arenas indefinitely suspended by NBA - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-arenassuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 AM

Here's my two cents:

I've always liked Arenas because he jokes around and I think that's a healthy way to deal with life. I deal with all sorts of problems by joking about them. But... there are times when joking is inappropriate and disrespectful. If you don't learn that lesson early on in life, life has a harsh way of teaching it to you eventually.

Arenas should have known better, and he deserves the punishment. I was surprised they even let him play that night. He should have thanked his lucky stars and been on his best behavior instead of pushing his luck.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 AM

12 posts, read 27,363 times
Since it's indefinite, he could be reinstated tomorrow, or kept out the entire year. So I guess fair, not enough, or unjust can only be determined when the definite length is known. I think that will hinge on if charges are pressed in the District for bringing weapons in - much like how Mike Vick was given the "indefinite" tag by the NFL and not until after the legal system took its course was there ever a time-frame put on it. I honestly think Crittenton should have a similar punishment... but at least he's kept quiet. Arenas already admitted his guilt, but then killed his case for remorse by making light of it.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
He wasn't suspended for pointing his fingers! He was suspended for bringing 4 real guns (unloaded) to the locker room and placing them on the bench next to Crittenton and placed a note of "pick one" as his way of joking about resolving their dispute.

Guns in the locker rooms is against NBA rules and probably broke DC law (prosecutors are looking into it).

The NBA decided to suspend Arenas after he kept acting like it was a joke to the media, and then did the finger-pointing-as-gun shtick. From reports I heard, they felt he was making light of the gun offense.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Sorry, normie, don't quite agree with you on this one. Yes, he should have known better to make light of a very serious situation. But I think the suspension was wrong. Mostly I think it was wrong because the terms are so vague and because it was given to him too late. It should have been handed to him the moment they found out he brought guns into the locker room (not to mention into DC, considering he did not have a license to have guns in DC).

Getting back to the vagueness of the suspension, "indefinite" is at once too harsh and too wombly. I can see suspending him for one game. Or even for a few games... but it should be a concrete punishment.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-07-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
He wasn't suspended for pointing his fingers! He was suspended for bringing 4 real guns (unloaded) to the locker room and placing them on the bench next to Crittenton and placed a note of "pick one" as his way of joking about resolving their dispute.

Guns in the locker rooms is against NBA rules and probably broke DC law (prosecutors are looking into it).

The NBA decided to suspend Arenas after he kept acting like it was a joke to the media, and then did the finger-pointing-as-gun shtick. From reports I heard, they felt he was making light of the gun offense.
Thanks for clarifying this, I too thought I heard on the news it was because he had guns in the locker room.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
He is in very deep. His career is in Jeopardy.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM

So what's the prediction as far as how long the suspension will last? I'm predicting he'll be back after a few games. Like it or not, he's a good player (and that seems to be what really matters these days).

Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
From what I read, the NBA and the Wizards were waiting to determine what they were going to do until the investigation was over or law enforcement decided how they were going to proceed. But after Arenas showed such stupidity and lack of awareness of his actions before the Philadelphia game, Stern decided to suspend him because he was unfit to play. He wouldn't have been suspended yesterday if he'd shown some awareness of the gravity of the investigation and some class.

As people have said, if Arenas was Joe Schmo in a regular workplace, his butt would be fired and he would already be in jail for bringing firearms to work. I don't think Arenas is dangerous, but his lack of understanding about what he did and how it's perceived in the community shows just how out of touch with reality he is. Not that that's surprising. All along their careers, from high school on, elite athletes learn that the rules don't apply to them.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
All along their careers, from high school on, elite athletes learn that the rules don't apply to them.
It's a problem with celebrities in general. Think of Brittany Spears or any of the other young actresses who shoplift or drive drunk and don't take their court dates seriously. I guess you really have to throw the book at them just to get the message across that there are just some things you don't do, no matter how much of a celebrity you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia