U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times

Advertisements

Thank you thank you whoever is out there rubbing a lucky rabbit's foot. I have a feeling we are going to luck out big time as far as tonight's snow is concerned.

When I watch the news it looks like this storm is dumping quite a load on most of the country. But it looks like we'll be dodging a bullet. We'll get some flurries tonight, and some light snow overnight that may leave an inch or so of snow on the ground. By 8 a.m. tomorrow it will be all over, and it'll be sunny. Cold.... but sunny.

I'll take it! Considering this storm made the Mississippi River freeze over I can't believe we're going to be so lucky. Who ever's got that rabbit's foot, keep rubbin' it!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,536,751 times
I'm not ready to write this storm off yet. I think it's unlikely to dump a lot of snow on us. It doesn't have a lot of moisture to work with. However, some of the models are showing the clipper interacting with some Gulf moisture. If that happens (still unlikely) we could get several inches.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I'm not ready to write this storm off yet. I think it's unlikely to dump a lot of snow on us. It doesn't have a lot of moisture to work with. However, some of the models are showing the clipper interacting with some Gulf moisture. If that happens (still unlikely) we could get several inches.
LOL, nothing would surprise me. Weather around here can change on a dime.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
About 4 years ago, I made the mistake of writing off an Alberta Clipper. It had been VERY cold here (just like now) and this thing was supposed to move through VERY quickly and leave a dusting of snow.

Well, around 10:30 that day, the flurry-like activity began and it wasn't a very heavy snowfall. But do to the extreme cold temperatures and the cold road surface, it started to stick quickly. After two hours, it was still going on and there was this odd, white, slick coating on the roads. About 1:00, I decided I should maybe go home. We got up on the freeway in DC and were immediately gridlocked. For 30 minutes the car did not move. We finally had to exit back off and go back to work. By this time, we had a good 3 inches of snow and it was some of the slickest stuff I've ever seen. The freeway was gridlocked because there was a sheet of ice and no one could move. Accidents all over the place.

I stayed at work until 4:30. I left again and didn't get home to Woodbridge until 9:30 p.m.

They were in no way able to predict any of this. But based on the cold temps and the kind of snow that comes in a clipper, it apparently iced everything over (it wasn't the kind of snow we had a few weeks ago). Fortunately, by the time we get up in the morning, we will pretty much know the conditions rather than get caught be surprise.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
About 4 years ago, I made the mistake of writing off an Alberta Clipper.
Agreed, Alberta Clipper's can be treacherous. If you have plans tonight, stay inside. It's a good night to stay warm with hot cocoa and snuggling in close. BTW, if some of you romantic snugglers end up conceiving a daughter during this storm, will you name her Alberta? (If it's a boy you could name him Clipper.)

Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 18,584,025 times
It's not over til it's over. So I will have my shovel ready for Justin Case.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM

125 posts, read 360,262 times
Well, I'm glad I brought a shovel back from NY when we went home for the holidays...it was in storage for the last storm. Nothing like making our neighbors (who know very well where we hail from!) laugh because we are in 2 feet of snow without a shovel.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
It's not over til it's over. So I will have my shovel ready for Justin Case.
Ah yes, Justin. He's been hanging around here a lot this year.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,825,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
About 4 years ago, I made the mistake of writing off an Alberta Clipper. It had been VERY cold here (just like now) and this thing was supposed to move through VERY quickly and leave a dusting of snow.

Well, around 10:30 that day, the flurry-like activity began and it wasn't a very heavy snowfall. But do to the extreme cold temperatures and the cold road surface, it started to stick quickly. After two hours, it was still going on and there was this odd, white, slick coating on the roads. About 1:00, I decided I should maybe go home. We got up on the freeway in DC and were immediately gridlocked. For 30 minutes the car did not move. We finally had to exit back off and go back to work. By this time, we had a good 3 inches of snow and it was some of the slickest stuff I've ever seen. The freeway was gridlocked because there was a sheet of ice and no one could move. Accidents all over the place.

I stayed at work until 4:30. I left again and didn't get home to Woodbridge until 9:30 p.m.

They were in no way able to predict any of this. But based on the cold temps and the kind of snow that comes in a clipper, it apparently iced everything over (it wasn't the kind of snow we had a few weeks ago). Fortunately, by the time we get up in the morning, we will pretty much know the conditions rather than get caught be surprise.
I remember that. I worked in Old Town and they closed the overpass- off of Eisenhower because of Ice. I took all the back roads home and avoided the mixing bowl which was slammed. There was a couple of weather men who hinted that ice may become a problem early that morning and may accumulate around 1pm, as I recall.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:19 PM

11,368 posts, read 20,163,370 times
We haven't been "scheduled" for snow until tonight so don't count your chickens yet (I think you posted a day early)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia