Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 24,810 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Haymarket. I work in DC so for the commute I am considering driving to the Vienna metro station and taking the train in to work. What is the traffic like between Haymarket and Vienna around 6:30 or 7am? What is the parking siutation like at the Vienna metro station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,396 times
If you take some back roads and pick up 66 in Manassas, you can make in under 30 minutes.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Thank you DavidS827. Would you recommend taking route 15 to Sudley to 29? Or taking 15 to route 55 to Lee Highway? I am not familiar with the area so I'm taking a guess by looking at the maps. The house that I am considered is right off Old Carolina.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't try to pick up 29 at Sudley as that is only a two lane road and it gets quite congested during the morning rush and 15 to 55 is just as bad. From Old Carolina I would take Heathcote to Catharpin. Turn left and go a few miles to Artimus. Turn right on Artimus. Take that to Pageland and turn rught. Take that to 29 and turn left. Then go a mile or so and turn right on Groveton. Then go to Balls Ford and turn left. Then go to 234 (Sudley) and turn left. You can pick up 66 from there. I know it seems a little out of the way, but it will save you a lot of time.

Soon Heathcote will open up completely and you can take that straight to 29, but that wont be until some time in the summer.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM

Thank you very much. Really appreciate it.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Glad to help. Let me know if you need anything else.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM

15 posts, read 72,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
I wouldn't try to pick up 29 at Sudley as that is only a two lane road and it gets quite congested during the morning rush and 15 to 55 is just as bad. From Old Carolina I would take Heathcote to Catharpin. Turn left and go a few miles to Artimus. Turn right on Artimus. Take that to Pageland and turn rught. Take that to 29 and turn left. Then go a mile or so and turn right on Groveton. Then go to Balls Ford and turn left. Then go to 234 (Sudley) and turn left. You can pick up 66 from there. I know it seems a little out of the way, but it will save you a lot of time.

Soon Heathcote will open up completely and you can take that straight to 29, but that wont be until some time in the summer.
Hello, can either of you tell me what this commute is like now, since I see this post is over a year old? I think David mentioned that Heathcote would be opening up? I would be also be traveling from Old Carolina to the Vienna Metro early in the morning (for about a year until I transition to working primarily from home). So, any tips re. route and times of day to shoot for and avoid both coming and going would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Last edited by knoxville_girl; 11-12-2008 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-12-2008, 11:25 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,328,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxville_girl View Post
Hello, can either of you tell me what this commute is like now, since I see this post is over a year old? I think David mentioned that Heathcote would be opening up? I would be also be traveling from Old Carolina to the Vienna Metro early in the morning (for about a year until I transition to working primarily from home). So, any tips re. route and times of day to shoot for and avoid both coming and going would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Dear Knoxville Girl. Hope this post finds you well. You may want to consider taking the VRE from Broad Run station to DC L'enfant Plaza or to Union Station. I am the resident VRE expert "train rider" and could get you started.

Please find out if your company is sponsoring your commute in any way, because you can use metrochecks to purchase VRE tickets.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 AM

15 posts, read 72,115 times
VRE332, thanks so much for your response. Yes, my employer would subsidize my commute and I could use metrochecks to pay for part of my monthly VRE commute.

However, while I hear the VRE is a great method of transportation, I am wondering if I wouldn't make better time taking the metro, since my stop is McPhearson Square on the Orange Line. So, if it takes 30 minutes from Old Carolina (around Piedmont) to the Vienna Metro, it would be a straight shot from the Vienna Metro to McPh Sq (30 min) for a total commute of 1 hour. Whereas if I took the VRE, it would be commute time to the VRE (15 mins?) + VRE to L'Enfant Plaza (1 hr?) + transfer to orange line back 4 stops to McPh Sq (15 mins?) = total commute of 1 hr 30 mins. Do my time estimates sound accurate?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,328,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxville_girl View Post
VRE332, thanks so much for your response. Yes, my employer would subsidize my commute and I could use metrochecks to pay for part of my monthly VRE commute.

However, while I hear the VRE is a great method of transportation, I am wondering if I wouldn't make better time taking the metro, since my stop is McPhearson Square on the Orange Line. So, if it takes 30 minutes from Old Carolina (around Piedmont) to the Vienna Metro, it would be a straight shot from the Vienna Metro to McPh Sq (30 min) for a total commute of 1 hour. Whereas if I took the VRE, it would be commute time to the VRE (15 mins?) + VRE to L'Enfant Plaza (1 hr?) + transfer to orange line back 4 stops to McPh Sq (15 mins?) = total commute of 1 hr 30 mins. Do my time estimates sound accurate?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.
I suggest you try both methods because the commute can cost you a lot of wear and tear on your car. In addition, the parking at the Metro lot is not free. Parking at the VRE is free and you can sleep on the train, in addition your employer pays for it; which is a great way to save money. In my experience, my commute is a lot longer than the 66 to Metro, but the stress of the commute plus the 1 hour nap on the train each way is well worth it. And of course, I'm saving about $300/month on commuting

You could also take the Linton Hall PRTC bus to the West Falls Church Linton Hall Metro Direct AM Map

http://www.prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/LHMD.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia