Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Update: Earlier this month, the Gov. reversed this decision and decided that the LCI will be recalculated, which is a positive for NoVA school districts.

Have you been reading about Central Falls High School in Rhode Island?

They fired the whole damned place...teachers, principal, staffers...all got the boot. That would save some serious money, wouldn't it? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Have you been reading about Central Falls High School in Rhode Island?

They fired the whole damned place...teachers, principal, staffers...all got the boot. That would save some serious money, wouldn't it? LOL
Oh yeah, that's crazy. It seems as though they were fired over contract negotiations more than student performance.

You know, I consider myself a pretty good teacher and if I were looking for a job, that would be the LAST place I would apply.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I thought FCPS spends money like drunken sailors....they even have Blackberries for cryin' out loud!
I have a list of alternate cuts which I'll try to post soon. Guess what! Your Blackberries made the list with a savings of $800k!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 PM

132 posts, read 324,030 times
Quote:
I believe Fairfax spends about $1,200 less per student than Montgomery.
Montgomery county has full day kindergarten. They don't get off half day on Monday either.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I have a list of alternate cuts which I'll try to post soon. Guess what! Your Blackberries made the list with a savings of $800k!
Alternate cuts proposal
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FCFT_Proposed_2010_Budget_Reductions.pdf (67.1 KB, 177 views)

Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Thanks for adding that! I'm surprised I still haven't seen full-day kindergarten eliminated or did I miss that? I won't miss the field trips cut - they are a waste of time and money. My daughter has gone to the same museum two years in a row and they plan to go again this year. Huh? There are hundreds of museums in the DC area - why keep going to the same one? And they barely spend any time there.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Just to clarify, the above budget reductions are proposed by the Fairfax County Federation of Teachers as an alternative to the superintendent's proposal and were sent to the board this week. A flier today said that if these cuts were instituted along with $ gained from a recalculation in the state's LCI, programs such as elementary band, strings, and full day K could be kept off the chopping block. Teachers could also receive a 1% COLA and step.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
It turns out that the budget problem is primarily due to the shortfall in funding the FCPS employees' retirement benefits.

Quote:
FCTA board members attended today's Fairfax County Public Schools budget forum, held at Marshall High School.

The FCTA asked why the school board is urging the supervisors to raise taxes by $81.9M although only $9M is needed to pay for next year's expected increase in student enrollment.

The school superintendent acknowledged that the reason is the increased cost in employee benefits, especially pensions. According to the schools' proposed FY2011 budget, employee benefits costs are increasing by $98M, of which $71M is for pensions and another $15M is for retiree medical benefits.
School board urges higher taxes to pay for pensions (Fairfax County Taxpayers Alliance)

Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It turns out that the budget problem is primarily due to the shortfall in funding the FCPS employees' retirement benefits.

School board urges higher taxes to pay for pensions (Fairfax County Taxpayers Alliance)

I agree that there are alternate cuts that could be made without hurting the students so much in the classroom (see my earlier alternative cuts which FCFT presented). However, the article also makes it sound like school employee benefits are grand, when in reality I believe the school board only contributes $100/month towards retiree premiums. It also makes teacher salaries seem overly generous. Salaries in August 2011 will be the same as they were in September 2008. Is the article lumping county employees (who back in 2001/2002 were receiving 4-5% raises)with FCPS employees (who at the same time were receiving 2%)?

Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
The employer (taxpayer) is being asked to pick up the bulk of cost of making up the shortfall. They plan to increase the employer contribution from 9.7 to 14.2 percent. FCPS teacher contribution rises from just 3.2 percent to a still lowly 4.0 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia