U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 AM

26 posts, read 46,554 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear from current students or parents of current students about their EXPERIENCE of Marshall. I really would, no offence, prefer not to hear from people who have heard things about the school, or who have statistics to cite, which I can find for myself. I just would like some genuine recent or preferably current opinions from the school population itself. Are you happy there? Are your kids? Are the teachers engaged and enthusiastic? Do they care? Are they challenging you? Is the school doing its job for you? What's great? What sucks?
I know students probably don't look at this forum but I couldn't find anything current for Marshall on Facebook so I am hoping Marshall parents might get their kids to post something here. My kids thank you in advance! (We're looking at houses in the Marshall area but don't have a sense of the school yet.)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM

15 posts, read 10,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupeerosie View Post
I would love to hear from current students or parents of current students about their EXPERIENCE of Marshall. I really would, no offence, prefer not to hear from people who have heard things about the school, or who have statistics to cite, which I can find for myself. I just would like some genuine recent or preferably current opinions from the school population itself. Are you happy there? Are your kids? Are the teachers engaged and enthusiastic? Do they care? Are they challenging you? Is the school doing its job for you? What's great? What sucks?
I know students probably don't look at this forum but I couldn't find anything current for Marshall on Facebook so I am hoping Marshall parents might get their kids to post something here. My kids thank you in advance! (We're looking at houses in the Marshall area but don't have a sense of the school yet.)
Thanks!
Are you trying to learn more about Marshall to "alleviate fears," or to "confirm good things you heard about this HS?"

Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,129,583 times
A parent who sends their child to Marshall is going to tell you that it's a great school. What else would they say? "I allow my kid to go to a bad school with the silly IB program"? Of course not. Not parent admits to sending their child to a crummy school. It would make them look like bad parents if they did.

Personally, I wouldn't send my kids to any school with an IB program but if you hope for your children to go to college in Europe it might be a good choice.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,637,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
A parent who sends their child to Marshall is going to tell you that it's a great school. What else would they say? "I allow my kid to go to a bad school with the silly IB program"? Of course not. Not parent admits to sending their child to a crummy school. It would make them look like bad parents if they did.

Personally, I wouldn't send my kids to any school with an IB program but if you hope for your children to go to college in Europe it might be a good choice.
Hey, what took you so long? Livestrong28 seems to be on an extended hiatus these days, so it falls squarely on your shoulders to slay the evil IB dragon! When you have a chance, you should call US News & World Report, too, and set the record straight:

FCPS - News Releases

I've seen the rest of this movie a few dozen times...but it is awfully cold outside, so I guess we can watch it again.

Last edited by JD984; 01-08-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 PM

247 posts, read 612,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post

This must be really helpful since the OP specifically asked for responses from those with experience at that particular school.... Way to go!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,054,429 times
No personal experience, but I knew two families with kids at Marshall. One was an international family (French and German) who placed their kids in the IB program and were thrilled with it. The other family was from Australia and was so disappointed with the non-IB program (they were in the Marshall pyramid) that they sent their 16 year old back to Australia to finish out his high school year with relatives.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 AM

I am trying not to ask with any preconceptions at all. I have had comments from two adult men, neither of whom have kids at the school, one was super positive the other very negative. So the answer to your question is neither!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowboatfun View Post
Are you trying to learn more about Marshall to "alleviate fears," or to "confirm good things you heard about this HS?"

Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM

186 posts, read 425,218 times
Default my girls went there

Since you were asking for people who had experience with Marshall I can talk about it My 3 daughters all went thru Marshall and had no problems.
All 3 have graduated my oldest was in the Orchestra for all 4 years, graduated went to Marymount and graduated Magna *** Laude and is going to University of London for her masters.

My 2end graduated from Marshall ,not much of a joiner but graduated from Everest College...

My youngest graduated, played Varsity softball for 4 years and now attends a D2 college playing softball..

We like to think of Marshall as the best kept secret in Fairfax County, there is plenty of diversity, there is the IB program for those who want it, there are sports, Drama, music. During my 10 years there was never a problem.
The teachers and the staff are dedicated to the students and responsive to their needs.

When my oldest was in 10th grade we had to move and chose to stay in the Marshall schools...

For those who have no knowledge of the school please keep your opinions to yourself....( you know who you are)

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM

Default thnks

thank you Nancy for the feedback - I really appreciate hearing such specific and personal info. I don't really want to get caught up in the whole IB/AP debate, just wanted to know about the school itself. Did your girls feel happy about the school too? Thanks

Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM

116 posts, read 386,221 times
Did you look at www.greatschools.net and see the reviews there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or