U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,791,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I don't understand people saying they're from D.C. unless they live in Arlington, which used to be a part of D.C.. When I speak to people who don't know where Sterling is I tell them about 10 miles east of Leesburg.
I say different things depending on who I'm talking to. We have a family-owned business with clients from all over the world. Even though I'm retired, I still talk with clients from time to time. I also travel a lot and meet a lot of people. When I'm talking with someone from Belgium, for example, I say I'm from DC. They don't know diddly squat about where Virginia might be. Same goes with a lot of clients from other states. Hard to believe, I know, but Nova is not the center of the universe and many people in other states aren't all that familiar with the area (oddly, people from large metro areas have heard of Nova. It's the clients in places like Hot Springs, Arkansas who haven't.)

If I'm talking to someone who knows Nova, I'll tend to say I live in Loudoun County. If they know the area fairly well, I'll say Sterling (or, like Margery, I'll sometimes say east of Leesburg, since more people have heard of Leesburg.)

If I'm talking to someone within a 20 mile radius of the house (which is probably 80% of my conversations) I usually say I live in Lowes Island. Sometimes I say Sterling, but the word "Sterling" isn't very helpful since it covers such a wide geographical area. If friend or a client wants to drop something off and needs an idea of how far to drive, saying Lowes Island is much more helpful to them.

My mailing labels say Potomac Falls. We use the ones that Williamsburg sends out, and that's what they happened to print on them. When I write down my address, I use Sterling. It's the shortest of all the names, and who wants writer's cramp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I thought The Hook was in Sterling? That's another one of my pet peeves of people who live in Northern Virginia. They try to "pose" as being people from "DC." If you're in Loudoun County, you're NOT DC. If you want DC, then move 25-30 miles to the east. This isn't the first time I've had to correct people/businesses.
You're getting your panties in a bunch because someone said "The Hook is claiming it offers the best seafood in all of DC"? Don't you think you're over-reacting just a little? 1. You're reacting to hearsay from a third party who's telling you what he heard, not to an actual ad from the restaurant. 2. The restaurant is, in fact, in the DC metro area. Which is what the poster meant (and I think everyone knows this). The poster was simply abbreviating, which is very common in this forum. When people write posts they're often multi-tasking and that frequently leads to abbreviations or typos. He also called the place "Hook" when it's name is "Hooked."

Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM

30,109 posts, read 67,233,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You're getting your panties in a bunch because someone said "The Hook is claiming it offers the best seafood in all of DC"? Don't you think you're over-reacting just a little? 1. You're reacting to hearsay from a third party who's telling you what he heard, not to an actual ad from the restaurant. 2. The restaurant is, in fact, in the DC metro area. Which is what the poster meant (and I think everyone knows this). The poster was simply abbreviating, which is very common in this forum. When people write posts they're often multi-tasking and that frequently leads to abbreviations or typos. He also called the place "Hook" when it's name is "Hooked."
This is just a pet peeve of mine. We should be proud to be from Virginia, not a separate entity 20-30 miles to our east. Do people in Cherry Hill, NJ say they live in Philadelphia? No. Do people in White Plains, NY say they live in NYC? No. Do people in Oakland say they live in San Francisco? No. Why would someone living in Sterling or Centreville, for example, say they live in DC?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Why would someone living in Sterling or Centreville, for example, say they live in DC?
Because they may be talking to someone from another country who knows where DC is but doesn't have a clue where Sterling or Centreville are. (And, more important... doesn't care.)

The bigger question is, why allow this to bother you? Why do you care about what somebody else chooses to call the area where they live? What's it to you?

Even though I think it's silly to let something like this become an irritation, for the sake of easing an irritation try to think of it this way. It has to do with not allowing unimportant details trip up the point of a conversation. For example, when people ask me where I've lived (and they're not asking a about a specific city), I say Cleveland, Miami, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Denver, Houston, Asheville, North Georgia, New York, Seattle, and Chicago.

Sure, I could say University Heights, Cleveland Heights, Liberty City, Hialeah, West Mesa, Englewood, Montrose, Biltmore Forest, Dahlonega, Shoreline, and Evanston but that list would have no meaning to someone who didn't know what metro areas I was referring to. They would be confused and exhausted by the time I said all that, and still have no idea what states I was talking about. And they'd probably be ticked off with me--because frankly they didn't really care what specific community I lived in, they just wanted to know what metro areas I've lived in. (If they do care, they can ask. I'll say "do you know the area" and if they do that's the point to go into all sorts of detail.)

Complicating it further, the US has dozens of communities named Montrose, Englewood, Shorelines etc. And god knows how I'd breakdown Los Angeles, since I lived all over the place. It's much easier to just say I lived in LA (or sometimes I just say southern California).

The bottom line is you use a name that has meaning to the person you're talking to--lots of times you just use the metro area if that's the only name the person you're talking to might recognize.

Last edited by normie; 01-24-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,637 times
Default Caliente

Quote:
I thought The Hook was in Sterling? That's another one of my pet peeves of people who live in Northern Virginia. They try to "pose" as being people from "DC." If you're in Loudoun County, you're NOT DC. If you want DC, then move 25-30 miles to the east. This isn't the first time I've had to correct people/businesses.
Let me clear the air for you ScranBarre and Margery, The Hooked Restaurant is claiming they were voted by OpenTable.com as "The best seafood restaurant in all the DC area" which everyone from our area knows that it refers to Northern Virginia, DC and Maryland. It wasn't my personal quote as I would have corrected them to say "The best Seafood Restaurant in the Potomac Run Plaza". My point was that claiming to be the best seafood restaurant in the DC area is absurd.

Last edited by jpj028; 01-25-2010 at 12:44 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 AM

509 posts, read 853,895 times
Who cares if people in Northern VA say they live in DC or near it. When I'm out of town I tell people I live in the Washington, DC suburbs. People from far out of town - to them Northern VA doesn't have as much meaning as "DC suburbs".

If that gets someone upset, that's a pretty crazy thing.

I don't see any problem with a restaurant saying it is near Washington, DC either. Big deal. Now, I get the OP's point about it being absurd to say it's the best seafood restaurant in the DC area. But it is fine for it to say it's a Washington, DC area restaurant.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post

I don't see any problem with a restaurant saying it is near Washington, DC either. Big deal. Now, I get the OP's point about it being absurd to say it's the best seafood restaurant in the DC area. But it is fine for it to say it's a Washington, DC area restaurant.
LOL, I think you're right, there are better seafood restaurants. Maybe it's time to start a thread on which restaurant really is the best seafood restaurant in the DC area.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 AM

Here's an article on Hooked that was in today's paper. I guess the Local Gourmet likes it.

hooked-sterlings-new-seafood-restaurant

Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,392 times
We ate at Caliente last night. The fish tacos were great; calamari was average - service could have been better. The menu is good - it's very simple southwest fare - tacos/fajitas/ceviche..... We sat outside - it's a nice big patio - and they should make it a NON-SMOKING PATIO. If they do that - we'll come back.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa24 View Post
We ate at Caliente last night. The fish tacos were great; calamari was average - service could have been better. The menu is good - it's very simple southwest fare - tacos/fajitas/ceviche..... We sat outside - it's a nice big patio - and they should make it a NON-SMOKING PATIO. If they do that - we'll come back.

I thought all restaurants were non-smoking now. Didn't we just pass a law on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia