Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 PM

239 posts, read 710,915 times

Advertisements

Ok, it is cold at night. Coming from So CA I do not have warm bedding; at this point I have about 3 quilts on my bed and wear way too many clothes so I feel as though I can not move at night!
Any advice on down comforters? There are too many on line and I do not know what to look for.
And here in NoVA does one want one for summer and one for winter or one that can work all year long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM

107 posts, read 250,676 times
I've got a down comforter and an electric blanket on my bed right now. The electric blanket is kind of too much but I love coming into a warm bed. It's never set as high as it was when I was in Montana. My down comforter is on my bed all year and is rated right in the middle as far as its thermal value. Not too much down, not too little.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,183 times
We have a down comforter from Pacific Coast. I love it! We stayed at a Marriott in LA and that's when I discovered down comforters. It keeps me very warm. I put it between our regular comforter and the sheet. I don't know what the warmth value is on it though. I refuse to sleep under an electric blanket after having had one short out on me and burn a hole in the blanket.... scary!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM

83 posts, read 181,638 times
I hate being too warm at night, I sleep better in a cooler bedroom. That being said, I have a down comforter and I love it. I like the puffiness of of it, and its one of those things that can be warmer or colder depending on what you want it for.

I have a comforter that I received for christmas, its from JCPenny, and its very nice. (I believe its the 4 star rated JCPenney : 4-Star Premium Down Comforter (http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=59474&CatID=59516&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID =183f4a3&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=59474|59483|595 16,59474&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=7&cmVirtualCat=&CmCat Id=59474|59483|59516 - broken link)) If you do get one, make sure its got the boxed quilting, it helps hold the down in place so it doesn't move all over. There are tons of choices at lots of different price points though.

The one I have worked in frigid NY and just as well down here where my bedroom is a lot warmer than in my previous house. I would recommend getting a medium to light weight fill. Down here you don't need anything too heavy. I think a down comforter would be a good solution to your problem of feeling overwhelmed in blankets and clothes. Its lightweight but keeps you nice a toasty.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,529 times
I'd try ebay.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:36 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,460 times
Bed Bath and Beyond has a wide selection of down comforters. You can also get them at Target, some for well under $100. The Company Store is a catalog that specializes in comforters. You can even wash most down comforters in a commercial washing machine. They come out of the washer looking as though you've killed them, but a long time in the dryer brings them right back to life. Take a good book to the laundromat.

You don't really need a heavyweight comforter, unless you keep your bedroom thermostat low (we did). But the a/c in our room worked too well, so we ended up getting second "year-round" comforter for the summer months.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
The Company Store is a catalog that specializes in comforters.
I recommend a medium weight one from The Company Store.
Designer Quality Bed & Bath Linens, Down Comforters | The Company Store

Wash them in any front load machine and dry with no heat for a couple of hours with dryer balls to fluff it back up.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,179 times
i would go with a light weight, unless you like to roast at night I despise being hot while sleeping and had a medium weight, high quality down comforter from Macy's which was just toooooo hot for me, even on the coldest nights in CT. I don't think you'll want it year around either. Just my opinion of course....

Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 AM

239 posts, read 710,915 times
Thank you for all the information!

I have it narrowed down to an LL Bean king size or a Company Store Queen...they are the same price (the LLBean queen is a bit small for my large-sized queen bed). I cant find Company Store's return policy and I know LL Bean has a great one.

I do think I like the idea of medium weight just because my house is so cold!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:09 AM

230 posts, read 757,723 times
I love IKEA comforters. We have them on all the beds in our house for the winter months. They come in warmth levels between 1-6 (6 being the warmest). They are reasonably priced and feel SO soft! It's hard to get out of the bed in the morning all snuggled underneath one of these! I would recommend going to the IKEA store at Potomac Mills and checking them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia