U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

I have lived here for about 40 years and want to get out before my kids get to connected. Northern Virginia will bring you to your Knees. My suggestion is if your really going to do it is Clifton Va. Burke Va. Vienna Va. All very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:24 AM

268 posts, read 1,553,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul l Wade View Post
I have lived here for about 40 years and want to get out before my kids get to connected. Northern Virginia will bring you to your Knees. My suggestion is if your really going to do it is Clifton Va. Burke Va. Vienna Va. All very expensive.

Where do you plan to go? Don't think the grass is greener. Mayberry doesn't exist and never really did. What do you mean by "bring you to your knees"? And "before your kids get too connected"? I do notice that everyone buying thinks prices are too high and everyone selling never thinks they're high enough. And, that's everywhere, VA doesn't win the award for that mentality. Cost of living is not expensive compared to income in NOVA. Why do people think they can take their incomes from here to cheaper areas? It won't happen. Rarely does a move from here keep your income at the same level. VA is a great place to raise kids as it exposes them to a lot of history, culture, diversity and the big one, safety. The best thing we've found about NOVA is the schools and the state universities. I have friends who deliberately moved to VA when their kids were in middle school so they could attend VA colleges as state residents. I hear people complaining, but none are willing to do anything to change what they perceive as wrong. If you really don't like what's going on, run for office or leave.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,643,172 times
Quote:
Just an update.. We are looking for rural.
Lorton is not what I would consider "rural" by NYC standards maybe. You really aren't going to get "rural" 30miles outside of DC.

back on page 1 I posted a list of rural towns that are still within an hour or 2 of DC so you can get there for a day trip etc...go back and check some of those out.

I live in leesburg and it still retains some rual feel. (AWAY from the 15 interchange...and the outlet mall) There are lots of small towns around here that have good schools etc...
housing is cheaper right now than it's been for a few years so yes you can get a 4 bedroom house in loudoun county for under 450K. we have good schools, it's very safe etc...

Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,956 times
Ashbrn4 makes a good point. Northern VA is not for everyone but if you check out the other states' forums on this site, you'll see people upset about the high cost of housing in areas where housing is WAY less expensive, because the job market operates on different pay scales in different areas.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,096 times
I was told this was "horse country" - Aldie, Ashburn, Middleburg (just a few to mention). When I got here all the horse people said they are being forced out by the lack of control on construction in this area and rising prices because of the construction.

I don't have a gripe with anyone - like I said - to each his own.

I just don't understand how one way of living can take over such a large county like a tidal wave. I would think that developers would have been required to have so many "horse property's" per acreage or even have "horse communities." since that was what this county was in the first place. We should all be invited to stay within a decent commute of our work and still enjoy our homes and lifestyles.

If someone can purchase 3-8 acres for a huge mansion I should be able to buy the same for my smaller home and a horse.

I disagree with you. I don't think I had high expections when I moved to this area. I just think it's ashame to completely metropolitanize an area.
And time management is an issue to me because of the time school lets out. I can only figure that is because of the late hours people are at work - convience for child care etc.

Virginia does have a lot to offer. And I am not complaining. I'm slightly overwhelmed and disappointed in what seems to be happening in this area.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:54 PM

268 posts, read 1,553,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgarden View Post
I was told this was "horse country" - Aldie, Ashburn, Middleburg (just a few to mention). When I got here all the horse people said they are being forced out by the lack of control on construction in this area and rising prices because of the construction.

I don't have a gripe with anyone - like I said - to each his own.

I just don't understand how one way of living can take over such a large county like a tidal wave. I would think that developers would have been required to have so many "horse property's" per acreage or even have "horse communities." since that was what this county was in the first place. We should all be invited to stay within a decent commute of our work and still enjoy our homes and lifestyles.

If someone can purchase 3-8 acres for a huge mansion I should be able to buy the same for my smaller home and a horse.

I disagree with you. I don't think I had high expections when I moved to this area. I just think it's ashame to completely metropolitanize an area.
And time management is an issue to me because of the time school lets out. I can only figure that is because of the late hours people are at work - convience for child care etc.

Virginia does have a lot to offer. And I am not complaining. I'm slightly overwhelmed and disappointed in what seems to be happening in this area.
Actually, Ashburn was farmland as was most of NOVA at one time. Middleburg, Aldie and western Loudoun has been known as horse country. Not by the working locals, but by the wealthy in DC who bought land for their country homes. Don't romaticize the "horse country" aspect. It didn't exist for the average family living out here. Heck, not that long ago, Vienna was wide open spaces too. You wanted to move here, so did others. No one is entitled to decide that it's full enough for them so the growth should be stopped right now.

Building is happening to support the boom in the economy here. There is industry, technology and government here so people have to live somewhere and why not in Loudoun?

BTW, the 3-8 acre with large homes is a result of the western county trying to control growth. Look what good it's done them?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times
I can confidently say, that the best place to live in Virginia is Northern Virginia, SPECIFICALLY - Burke, or Fairfax (the Fairfax Bordering Burke). I have been living here for 19 years, (I was born here, thus, 19 years...) But I will tell you why - in lists why it is the best place to live in VA.

1) Atmosphere - The people you are surrounded by are intellectuals, wealthy (BUT NOT "SNOBBISH") , and hospitable. Shopping Malls, Grocery Stores, Minimals, are in driving/walking distance.

2) SAFETY - They're rarely any kind of crimes, you can leave your house door open, leave your house, and no one will break in.

3) Schools - We have one of the best and largest schools in VA (public), and in the nation. Our universities are also one of the best, UVA (business, architecture, engineering, politcal science), VT (engineering, architecture), William and Marry (law, business, political science), GMU (law, computer science)..I can go on.

4) Commute - So many people are complaining about the commute here, it only depends what times you leave. For example, Fairfax county parkway, 495, braddock road, 395, those are only jammed at 4, and trust me, the traffic doesn't last for hours, as if you were in Manhattan, or LA. You are

*important* , if you live anywhere in NOVA, it will only take you 25 minutes, to reach THE NATIONS Capital.

Conclusion, if you have a Family, and want to be safe, and have a fun and strong family, there is no doubt in my mind to choose Burke or Fairfax, or anywhere else in NOVA (there are some low class areas, but those are minimal).

Old 06-05-2007, 11:19 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,033,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetsam View Post
I can confidently say, that the best place to live in Virginia is Northern Virginia, SPECIFICALLY - Burke, or Fairfax (the Fairfax Bordering Burke). I have been living here for 19 years, (I was born here, thus, 19 years...) But I will tell you why - in lists why it is the best place to live in VA.

1) Atmosphere - The people you are surrounded by are intellectuals, wealthy (BUT NOT "SNOBBISH") , and hospitable. Shopping Malls, Grocery Stores, Minimals, are in driving/walking distance.

2) SAFETY - They're rarely any kind of crimes, you can leave your house door open, leave your house, and no one will break in.

3) Schools - We have one of the best and largest schools in VA (public), and in the nation. Our universities are also one of the best, UVA (business, architecture, engineering, politcal science), VT (engineering, architecture), William and Marry (law, business, political science), GMU (law, computer science)..I can go on.

4) Commute - So many people are complaining about the commute here, it only depends what times you leave. For example, Fairfax county parkway, 495, braddock road, 395, those are only jammed at 4, and trust me, the traffic doesn't last for hours, as if you were in Manhattan, or LA. You are

*important* , if you live anywhere in NOVA, it will only take you 25 minutes, to reach THE NATIONS Capital.

Conclusion, if you have a Family, and want to be safe, and have a fun and strong family, there is no doubt in my mind to choose Burke or Fairfax, or anywhere else in NOVA (there are some low class areas, but those are minimal).
You make very good points but I have a counterpoint to make: You've only lived there all your life and you have nothing to compare NoVA to. Some people who complain are people that may have seen bigger, better.

And as a general statement to those who hate NoVA (playing devil's advocate?), I've noticed a lot who have decided NoVA sucks are those who have lived in the area for a long time and saw it "metropolitanize". Keep in mind that many people who are moving there now are going FOR the metropolitan and have such expectations.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,344,802 times
I actually have to disagree with almost all of what sunsetsam wrote (agree with the schools though), particularly the commuting issues.

You cannot reach DC from "anywhere" in Northern Virginia in 25 minutes. Perhaps this varies on what one considers Northern Virginia but you cannot get to DC in 25 minutes from any points in Loudoun or Prince William counties, nor the bulk of western Fairfax County, areas which are probably home to a combined one million residents and the fastest growing portion of Northern Virginia. That is in non-rush. In rush hour, if driving, it narrows even further and it's difficult to get to DC from anywhere in Northern Virginia in under 25 minutes unless in Arlington, Alexandria or maybe Falls Church or McLean. And while the commute does indeed depend on the time that you leave, the brutal rush hour commute does not just hit at 4pm, but as most of us who commute daily can attest to, lasts at least from 7-9AM and 4-6PM. Maybe the Burke/Fairfax border area is a unique traffic-free bubble, but if so, it certainly does not represent the majority of the DC area which has serious traffic woes.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:07 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,043,542 times
We should all be invited to stay within a decent commute of our work and still enjoy our homes and lifestyles.

In a perfect world, we should. But that's not how the market works in this world. Those who want a 5 acre spread for horses within easy reach of DC or Tyson's have to be prepared to pay top dollar. Surely you knew that BEFORE you moved here.

Actually, that has little to do with it. In large sprawling districts, it's about distance between homes and the schools and the bus schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia