U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 07:09 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,340 times

Advertisements

Hi all, this is our first entirely free weekend since well before Christmas and we are still in the exploring the area phase since we've only been here not quite 3 months.

SO, we are not winter weather sports people, other than the fact that our kids ice skate, so does anyone have any suggestions of things to do this weekend for a family with 7 yr old kids? We'd rather not travel too far from our Western Loudoun location, less than an hour I'd say. We're going into DC next week to pick up MIL from the train station so no DC for this weekend. Any suggestions? We went shopping in Tysons Corner last weekend so no malls/shopping either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
At that age, my kids loved just wandering around the neighborhood taking photos in the winter. And with digital cameras, you don't even need to worry about wasting film. There are all sorts of things to record--animal tracks, the way ice shimmers on a driveways, snow on playground equipment, etc.

If you want local events, there might be something in here that would interest you:

What's going on around Nova this week

Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM

722 posts, read 1,751,852 times
My husband is out for a walk with our 3 year old right now, normie. The kid needs his Vitamin D, even if it is *freeeezing* out there.

Our Kids is a good resource for finding local things-to-do.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 AM

372 posts, read 1,010,521 times
Spend money at the mall and drink beer.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM

216 posts, read 559,175 times
We just took our 3 y.o. to a swim lesson at our local rec center. The kid loved it and it's inexpensive.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,301 times
Visit the library? I just got back and it was PACKED! Never seen so many people at a library.. Or go to the movies? Alvin Squeakquel and Princess & Frog are playing. The Brambleton theatre is great. If the weather was nicer (no wind and no ice), I'd suggest that you take a walk at the Balls Bluff Battlefield in Leesburg.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:27 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,354,435 times
We like to go to the "bounce houses"...Loudoun Sports Bounce, Pump It Up. Jumping Jack Sports has an indoor gym with lots of activities.
The Air and Space Museum is another option. There is a McDonalds there so you can also do lunch there.
Dulles Town Center Mall has a play area, train, carosaul (sp?), and chik fil a. We go there a lot and walk around. (I don't let my kids in the play structure b/c of germs but that is just me)
Sometimes we just go to Toys R Us and Go Bananas to play around and look at the toys
Movies are always an option-I really like Brambleton Movie Theatre.
Ashburn Ice Rink is good for ice skating
Chuck E Cheese is by the mall
DC Zoo is open all year so if you find a not too cold day that is an option. (we drive to Vienna and get on the Metro)
My kids love Costco (Free samples help, lol! And we get pizza there. Plus they just have a lot to look at)
You can always sign up for classes at: My Gym, The Little Gym, etc.
Anyway, have fun!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
So arielmina, what did you and the twins end up doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia