U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 20,821 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we need some advice. My husband and I are moving to Northern Virginia, I am in my mid 20s, he is early 30s. We do not currently have children, but plan to sometime in the near future. I will work near Fort Belvoir, and he will more than likely be downtown in DC. We both love the idea of living in Arlington near all of the public transit as we are hoping to get involved and see all there is to see and do all there is to do... BUT, we wanted to try and stay around $400K. To add to the problem, we have 3 big dogs. We LOVE LOVE LOVE a lot of the condos in Arlington, but I'm assuming none of them are going to allow all 3 of our dogs. Alexandria seems pretty nice as well, and if nothing else we can always hop the metro to get downtown and do and see things downtown. Any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:25 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,051,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaTexan View Post
Okay, so we need some advice. My husband and I are moving to Northern Virginia, I am in my mid 20s, he is early 30s. We do not currently have children, but plan to sometime in the near future. I will work near Fort Belvoir, and he will more than likely be downtown in DC. We both love the idea of living in Arlington near all of the public transit as we are hoping to get involved and see all there is to see and do all there is to do... BUT, we wanted to try and stay around $400K. To add to the problem, we have 3 big dogs. We LOVE LOVE LOVE a lot of the condos in Arlington, but I'm assuming none of them are going to allow all 3 of our dogs. Alexandria seems pretty nice as well, and if nothing else we can always hop the metro to get downtown and do and see things downtown. Any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
$400K will be tough to get anymore than a townhouse or possibly a rancher in most areas between DC and Fort Belvoir.

Check out the Hollin Hall area in the Route 1 South area towards Fort Belvoir. This is in the unincorporated Alexandria section of Fairfax County as opposed to the actual City of Alexandria. You'll see a lot of unique-looking ranch homes there. You may also find homes (mostly ranchers) in your range in the nearby Hybla Valley and Gum Springs neighborhoods. However, the perception of the working-to-middle-class neighborhood is often mixed by those looking for the quintessential suburban experience.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:31 PM

How much do you think we would have to raise our price range to get more of what we are looking for?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,051,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaTexan View Post
How much do you think we would have to raise our price range to get more of what we are looking for?
Ironically, someone here mentioned that there are homes in the tony Mount Vernon neighborhood going for $500K. I don't know whether these are one- or two-story homes. Generally speaking, it appears these days that finding a detached single family home in a moderately desirable and convenient area will run between $500-600K. Townhomes may run approximately $100K less than that.

Why is it so much more expensive in Northern Virginia than Texas, you may ask? Supply and demand in the "best" job market in the country.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 PM

722 posts, read 1,753,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Generally speaking, it appears these days that finding a detached single family home in a moderately desirable and convenient area will run between $500-600K. Townhomes may run approximately $100K less than that.
This is right on the money. I live in Falls Church, very close to Arlington, and not far from public transit. So a good area, overall. There are 2 houses for sale on my street between $500 and $600K. These are older homes with some updates, not brand new, but functional and livable.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,109 times
I grew up in NoVA and met my husband while he was here for TBS (The Basic School) to be an officer in the Marine Corps. He is a native Texan thru and thru and went to college in San Marcos. We have been stationed all over - to include Dallas and hands down, if he can't live in Austin, he wants to live in VA. I have always lived inside the beltway and LOVED it. A couple of times we have been stationed at Quantico and lived in Stafford. As a NATIVE NoVA girl, I protested at first but found that albeit further, the quality of life is a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I still would rather be in NoVA but the housing prices have gone insane!!! I suggest you avoid areas around Landmark Mall, and Balston and some areas of Falls Church are still pretty good. Sadly, North Springfield and Annandale have gone to pot with either the houses being dated or being bought up and McMansions built on the site.
Either way, good luck! I'm so jealous. The Marine Corps has sent us to crappy Portland, OR - the armpit of the world.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 AM

I'm right there with your husband... i LOVE Austin... and what I've seen of the NoVA area thus far makes me very excited to be moving there! Everyone from Texas won't shut up about the cost of living... I understand that it's higher, I've done my research, but hey, sometimes you get what you pay for!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 PM

188 posts, read 314,546 times
I did the reverse - moved to San Antonio from NoVA 6 years ago. You may want to check out the Kingstowne area. It is located in Fairfax County just south of 395, but has an Alexandria mailing address. It would be a good split between Fort Belvoir and DC. The majority of the housing is townhomes from very small to 3,000 sq. feet. About 10% is single family. It is a very large planned community with a lot of walking paths if you get outside a lot with your dogs - plus two community pools, and tennis courts. When I lived there, there was Fairfax Connector bus service to the Van Dorn Street Metro stop on weekdays. It is also a short drive to the Franconia-Springfield Metro stop. I haven't lived there in 6 years, but it was a nice area to live with small kids as well. (Kingstowne Residential Owners Corporation - Welcome to Your Community Online)

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,236,422 times
There are many options in south Alexandria in both the rental and resale market. If you check out Craigslist (and sift thru the "junk" ads) you will get a good idea of the current costs. Areas East of rt 1 are great because you have nicer homes and less traffic than right along rt 1 or neighborhoods inside the beltway. The areas that I am referring to are in zip codes 22307 and/or 22308. You will be close to Ft belvoir, and approx 10 miles to DC. You could also find duplexes/rowhouses in old town Alexandria, or the Del Ray neighborhood 1.5 miles north of old town. You will also find "affordable" housing in parts of south Arlington. (Columbia Pike, Glebe Rd, Four mile Run)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or