Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 25,734 times

Advertisements

So I was looking at pet friendly condos and apartments both in Arlington and Alexandria and every single one had Rottweiler listed as a breed restriction. How does anyone with a Rottie live in the area? My boy is the sweetest dog you've ever met... well mannered, calm, lazy, and wouldn't hurt a fly! UGH, there shouldn't be breed restrictions! Instead require a license to own a dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Maybe you'll have better luck out in the burbs?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:55 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
I sympathize with you, my daughter has 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers and they are the kindest, sweetest dogs you can find. You may have better luck finding a rental from a private owner. Go to HomesDatabase - Home for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, most of the listings will specify if dogs are acceptable. Also, you may want to advertise on Craigs list under rentals wanted.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I've seen Rotts in Alexandria, but their owners probably have their own homes. Apartments and condos have to consider insurance policies for breeds that have a dangerous reputation, so I'm guessing most don't want to do it.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
I didn't even realize that there were specific breeds that made renting difficult. I knew that sometimes apartments specified "small dogs only". We have a 128 pound German Shepherd....I wonder if he's considered a "dangerous breed"?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 25,734 times
some condos and apartments do list a german shepherd as a breed restriction... sad very sad! my husband has trained military working dogs, tsa dogs, and pet dogs his entire career... it's not the breed of the dog, it's the owner's dedication to the dogs training... sad!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
and so few of the owners are dedicated. Few of the large dogs I see in urban areas get walked enough. Maybe 10%. The rest are victims of animal cruelty. I don't like people's dogs getting near me. I have serious doubts about their abilities to compensate me for my losses, should I be bitten.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaTexan View Post
So I was looking at pet friendly condos and apartments both in Arlington and Alexandria and every single one had Rottweiler listed as a breed restriction. How does anyone with a Rottie live in the area? My boy is the sweetest dog you've ever met... well mannered, calm, lazy, and wouldn't hurt a fly! UGH, there shouldn't be breed restrictions! Instead require a license to own a dog!
Wondering if you had any luck finding an apt that was Rottie-friendly?

I'm moving down to DC in August and need to find a Rott-friendly apt as well in the event that my Mother has to be moved to an elderly home, in which case we'll be taking her lovely, sweet Max. We've been gearing our search toward MD 'burbs thinking it might be easier to find something there.

It has been a nightmare trying to find a place that won't slam a door in our face once we utter "Rottweiler" - and we're not even sure he'll be with us, we just want to be prepared in the event that my Mom can no longer take care of him. I understand the issues with insurance - I work with a Rottie rescue in New England - but there has GOT TO BE some place that will allow Rotties in the DC metro area.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcages7 View Post
Wondering if you had any luck finding an apt that was Rottie-friendly?

I'm moving down to DC in August and need to find a Rott-friendly apt as well in the event that my Mother has to be moved to an elderly home, in which case we'll be taking her lovely, sweet Max. We've been gearing our search toward MD 'burbs thinking it might be easier to find something there.

It has been a nightmare trying to find a place that won't slam a door in our face once we utter "Rottweiler" - and we're not even sure he'll be with us, we just want to be prepared in the event that my Mom can no longer take care of him. I understand the issues with insurance - I work with a Rottie rescue in New England - but there has GOT TO BE some place that will allow Rotties in the DC metro area.

Thanks!
You're going to run into double trouble with apartments. First, the weight limit--second, the breed. You'll have much, MUCH better luck finding a private landlord to rent a house/townhouse from. We placed a "housing wanted" ad on craigslist with a little doggie resume for our border collie mix (showing she had her obedience titles, was a therapy dog, provided references from former landlords, etc). We now rent from a great landlord.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM

53 posts, read 85,479 times
I have my Dobie and has been looking online, and aparments and condos are very hard, but I noticed out away from from DC like manassas, reston, woodbridge, etc may have better luck finding a place through realtor.com or Craigslist. Keep us posted if any of you find anything PLEASE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia