Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times

Advertisements

I don't usually agree with Alanboy, but he has a good idea. I think a new bypass road would be great in the long-term, but some short-term relief would be nice. How about opening up the HOV lanes for ALL TRAFFIC? The HOV lanes are basically through lanes since they have very few exits north of Woodbridge. They could change the signs to say through traffic (currently HOV only) , and local traffic (the regular lanes) so that drivers could choose accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I don't usually agree with Alanboy, but he has a good idea. I think a new bypass road would be great in the long-term, but some short-term relief would be nice. How about opening up the HOV lanes for ALL TRAFFIC? The HOV lanes are basically through lanes since they have very few exits north of Woodbridge. They could change the signs to say through traffic (currently HOV only) , and local traffic (the regular lanes) so that drivers could choose accordingly.
Sorry, but I stand by my belief that HOV is the best purpose of those lanes since it takes a lot of cars off the road. Maybe the sign could say "thru traffic use HOV lanes during NON-HOV hours."

Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 PM

HOV might be taking cars off the road, but at what cost? Why not invest in more/better public transportation?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
In a way, it is being built, albeit slowly. If somehow, someday, Maryland would allow it, connecting 370 / MD-200 (ICC) to the Fairfax County Parkway via a new bridge, and upgrading all of those highways to interstate standards, and then you''d have an outer half beltway.
Unfortunately, that's going the wrong way! It wouldn't be a likely alternate for the I-95 stretch of the beltway since it's going the looong way around the city. It would ease some of the congestion over in that area though I'm sure.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okay, unless you have been living in Northern VA less than a day or just came out of your mother's womb, you know one of the biggest troubles in NoVA is I-95.

This is a fantasy solution to fix the problem. Since I-95 carries a whole mess of thru traffic as well as local traffic the obvious solution would be to give the thru traffic a seperate highway for them.

This solution would be called the I-95 and I-95E project. We would leave I-95 in it's state with four lanes each way from Springfield to Fredericksburg. Where the thru traffic comes in is I-95E. I-95E would be a three lane each direction highway with VERY limited exits which would specifically designed for those drivers whose final destination is not in the greater DC area. I-95E would start off the Capital Beltway and end ideally with a connection to I-295 in Richmond.

I know this has absoutely no chance of happening but you can't blame a guy for trying.
Seems workable to me.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
I would add to the solution of extending Metrorail. Just extend the blue line to Woodbridge and have stops at Newington, Lorton, Woodbridge, and Dale City/Potomac Mills. I mean, seriously, for Metro, that would be the equivalent of printing money!!!!! Who doesn't want to literally print money????

Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM

fairfaxian: great idea!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I would add to the solution of extending Metrorail. Just extend the blue line to Woodbridge and have stops at Newington, Lorton, Woodbridge, and Dale City/Potomac Mills. I mean, seriously, for Metro, that would be the equivalent of printing money!!!!! Who doesn't want to literally print money????
Building a metro line is like printing money? Oh, yah... sure....

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
As soon as they're finished "printing money" to build the Silver Line through Dulles, I could see an extension to Woodbridge being on the drawing board. For now, I hold to my suggestion in a older thread that running express buses from Woodbridge to the Springfield and/or Huntington Metro stations via Fort Belvoir might be an effective solution.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
For now, I hold to my suggestion in a older thread that running express buses from Woodbridge to the Springfield and/or Huntington Metro stations via Fort Belvoir might be an effective solution.
And yet another big yup! Boy, I sure am agreeing with you a lot today, Tone. We must be in sych.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia