Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,950 times

Advertisements

I typed out a long rant about the DMV...took a deep breathe...and deleted it. It's not worth getting my blood pressure up.

I'll say this...if you can drive on an out of state license legally (military?), it's worth the money to fly back to your home state and get it.

We've lived all over this world and overseas. I have driven and registered vehicles in 14 states. Never have I experienced anything like the Springfield DMV. I would call the folks working there idiots...but that would be an insult to idiots everywhere. I'm not sure how they are able to breathe in and out, much less hold a job.

It's not worth it. ....and now I'm going back to my happy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 AM

207 posts, read 752,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If your old one hasn't expired yet, do it online. I did mine last Monday and had it in my hand in Friday's mail. You'll save $5 also this way.
I think the OP said he was getting a NEW Va license not RENEW a VA license. You must suffer in person for that...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 AM

207 posts, read 752,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I typed out a long rant about the DMV...took a deep breathe...and deleted it. It's not worth getting my blood pressure up.

I'll say this...if you can drive on an out of state license legally (military?), it's worth the money to fly back to your home state and get it.

We've lived all over this world and overseas. I have driven and registered vehicles in 14 states. Never have I experienced anything like the Springfield DMV. I would call the folks working there idiots...but that would be an insult to idiots everywhere. I'm not sure how they are able to breathe in and out, much less hold a job.

We must have been there the same day...

Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM

214 posts, read 499,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

I had good experiences at the Franconia DMV recently. The only problem was the cameras being down, but they couldn't control that. I'm glad I skipped going to the Springfield one because I saw the huge line through the mall, and chose to go Target instead!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
You can check online to see how long the waits are, generally the Franconia and S. Arl. have very short wait times.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,586 times
They have a new stupid policy in VA, where you can't even smile when having your photograph taken for the new Driver's License. They claim it's because of the new facial recognition software, which I find to be dumb, because if it finds issues with matching smiling faces in such a controlled setting, then how will it ever perform its intended duty in a chaotic uncontrolled situation? It is utterly absurd, and downright Orwellian if you ask me.

Yeah, I have to get my license renewed within two weeks as well. What a bummer (I actually have a great photograph on my current "Old" license, which is my first btw).

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM

7 posts, read 13,241 times
A question that I hope doesn't get too complicated as I'm writing it out:

I understand that you no longer have to go to the DMV to renew your license as long as you didn't renew online the last time (along with a couple of other restrictions). I swear I've read the DMV website a million times looking for this answer.

When I was 20 (now 24), I got a reckless driving ticket and had my license restricted for six months. I got my license back after that 6 months, without taking any kind of tests, and that also put me on a new "renewal" date. I haven't since had any moving violations.

I received a notice that said I must go into the DMV to renew, but it doesn't give me any reason why I have to go in person. I've heard several different responses to this -- but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to take the written tests. I'm god awful at taking tets and want to prepare big time if it comes down to it @ the DMV that day.

Does anyone know, with my history, if I'm going to have to take the test or not?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kismekate View Post
A question that I hope doesn't get too complicated as I'm writing it out:

I understand that you no longer have to go to the DMV to renew your license as long as you didn't renew online the last time (along with a couple of other restrictions). I swear I've read the DMV website a million times looking for this answer.

When I was 20 (now 24), I got a reckless driving ticket and had my license restricted for six months. I got my license back after that 6 months, without taking any kind of tests, and that also put me on a new "renewal" date. I haven't since had any moving violations.

I received a notice that said I must go into the DMV to renew, but it doesn't give me any reason why I have to go in person. I've heard several different responses to this -- but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to take the written tests. I'm god awful at taking tets and want to prepare big time if it comes down to it @ the DMV that day.

Does anyone know, with my history, if I'm going to have to take the test or not?

It should say somewhere on the renewal notice what tests are required...always used to, anyhoo.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kismekate View Post

Expect to be tested. If not, at least you will know the rules better because you studied.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,323 times
Does it still apply that you can't get it the day you request it? Lost mine yesterday and leaving on a plane Tuesday. Gotta get one so I can get my tickets and past security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia