Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM

24 posts, read 70,923 times

Advertisements

I want to thank you all for the wonderful posts on this site. Although I haven't moved to NOVA yet, I feel that from your postings, I'm getting a much better sense of the neighborhoods/areas in NOVA.

My husband is working in Crystal City and we are looking for a 3+ bedroom home for around $600K. We have two elementary school age kids - so we are looking for good schools. My husband has already started working there (he's renting an apartment in Mark Center) and I will be coming to meet with a realtor later this month. I've learned from your site that I want to look at some houses in 22307/22308 (the part of Alexandria towards Mount Vernon on the GW Parkway) as well as in Burke (22315). I also thought I'd look at some townhouses (although I think I'd rather a house) in Alexandria (22302, 22305) and Kingstowne (22315), but are there other areas I should look at as well? It seems from your site, that Falls Church, Vienna, other more northern parts of NOVA would be unwise because of the commute? Am I correct? What are the pros and cons of the various areas?

Thanks again for all your wonderful advice. You all are making my house searching much more interesting and informed!

Last edited by skterrill; 01-11-2010 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skterrill View Post
I want to thank you all for the wonderful posts on this site. Although I haven't moved to NOVA yet, I feel that from your postings, I'm getting a much better sense of the neighborhoods/areas in NOVA.

My husband will be working in Crystal City and we are looking for a 3+ bedroom home for around $600K. We have two elementary school age kids - so we are looking for good schools. My husband has already started working there (he's renting an apartment in Mark Center) and I will be coming to meet with a realtor later this month. I've learned from your site that I want to look at some houses in 22307/22308 (the part of Alexandria towards Mount Vernon on the GW Parkway) as well as in Burke (22315). I also thought I'd look at some townhouses in Alexandria (22302, 22305) and Kingstowne (22315), but are there other areas I should look at as well? It seems from your site, that Falls Church, Vienna, other more northern parts of NOVA would be unwise because of the commute? Am I correct?

Thanks again for all your wonderful advice. You all are making my house searching much more interesting and informed!
All of your considerations are very good choices. Actually both Vienna and Falls Church would actually be reasonable commutes assuming your husband is able to use the Metrorail. Crystal City has a convenient Metro stop.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
k8p

141 posts, read 394,914 times
i live in 22308 and just love it. Husband has an easy commute to the Pentagon and everything I need is within a couple of miles. My child is only in preschool right now but I know that the elementary is good (Stratford Landing) but I've heard that the middle school (Carl Sandburg) isn't as great.

I've been in this area just a year and if we bought a home I would stay in this zip code or go out to Kingstowne. I would also love to live in Del Ray.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
k8p

141 posts, read 394,914 times
this house is right around the corner from me and it was recently gutted and remodeled. They did a nice job and even fixed the yard and fence and added a deck. It is at a stop sign but its not a terribly busy intersection.

8200 RIVERSIDE, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22308 (MLS# FX7231769) - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - CBMove.com

Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,225,940 times
Will his job stay in Crystal City or move to the now-under-construction Mark Center due to BRAC? This could have an impact if he's planning to use Metrorail for commuting to work. Crystal City has a Metro stop - Mark Center does not (but there will be bus service).

Old 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Will his job stay in Crystal City or move to the now-under-construction Mark Center due to BRAC? This could have an impact if he's planning to use Metrorail for commuting to work. Crystal City has a Metro stop - Mark Center does not (but there will be bus service).
That commute and traffic will be a disaster at Mark Center. What was going through the heads of the BRAC folks putting those jobs there? If BRAC wasn't my ticket out of here I'd be at them.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
They should take those non-military jobs off of the BRAC list. They want all military or DOD personel to work at a military installation...so, the offices in Crystal city & Rossyln will have to move to an approved facility. It sounds logical until you realize that the DC area has way too many people in this situation. The size of Gov't is way too big!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8p View Post
i live in 22308 and just love it. Husband has an easy commute to the Pentagon and everything I need is within a couple of miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8p View Post
My child is only in preschool right now but I know that the elementary is good (Stratford Landing) but I've heard that the middle school (Carl Sandburg) isn't as great
My son went to Stratford and Sandburg. Sandburg was fine, expecially if you can get your child into the GT program (and at Stratford, which is a GT Center). He also liked West Potomac. If you stay around there he/she will probably want to stay with his/her friends all the way through.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 AM

His job will stay in Crystal City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia