Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM

24 posts, read 70,939 times

Advertisements

We plan to move to NOVA this summer for approx. 3 to 5 years. Which do you think will keep it's value (or ideally increase in value more), a closer in townhouse (in Alexandria or Belle Haven/View) or a suburban single family house (ie., Burke or Mount Vernon)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
My opinion: closer in, followed by close to Metrorail. And if you're planning on a short stay, I'd think a townhouse could have less potential upkeep expense. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
In my layman's opinon, I think all of those choices would be solid investments but I would agree with robbobobbo for the reason stated.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for any confusion I may have caused when referring to the Belle Haven area as Belle View, per the latter's namesake condo community and Boulevard.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Generally it's a better bet in NoVa to buy closer in, but your actual question is which will retain it's value better and/or which may increase in value more.

I would agree with the others that the TH in Arlington is less likely to lose value (location, location, location). However, if you can get a great deal on a SFH in Burke or a similar area (and that's more likely than finding a great deal on a TH in Arlington IMO) you may actually get more out of it as an investment.

I would 1) fully check out your options in both of these areas and 2) consult some real estate professionals rather than ask random people on C-D (like me) that may not know what the h*ll they are talking about.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
I assume that you also care about your sanity, so closer in is a better option ;-)
Its a little risky moving to the burbs with gas prices so high. If you can afford a SFH down towards Mt. vernon, then that would be great! Ft. Belvoir is expanding big-time so you will have a huge number of potential buyers when you decide to sell. I love Belle Haven/Belle View too, and its worth checking out. I always just call that area (south of the golf course) Belle View, even though its also known as Belle Haven... Belle Haven Rd is 2 blocks N of Belle View BLVD.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skterrill View Post
We plan to move to NOVA this summer for approx. 3 to 5 years. Which do you think will keep it's value (or ideally increase in value more), a closer in townhouse (in Alexandria or Belle Haven/View) or a suburban single family house (ie., Burke or Mount Vernon)?
Kind of a weird question to me because Belle Haven/Belle View is not what I think of when I think "close in". It's 10 miles away from the center of DC. Also there aren't many townhouses there. It's mostly single-family homes and condos.

Now if you take Belle Haven out of the equation, it depends what part of Alexandria you mean. If you're talking an Old Town Alexandria townhouse vs. Burke/Mt. Vernon, I'd say the advantage goes to Old Town Alexandria, mostly because of the Metro and walkability of the place. Places like Old Town will always be in demand.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
pcity: Belle view may be 10 miles from DC, but its an easy drive. You're right about Belle View being mostly condos, and SF homes in the surrounding neighborhoods. And, I also agree that Old Town is a great option.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:58 AM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
my opinion: Closer in, followed by close to metrorail.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia