U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 AM

83 posts, read 158,952 times

Advertisements

Well I finally got a job offer today!! I'm quite excited , although its in Haymarket which is about 25 miles from where I live in Falls Church. I will be working 8:30-5 Monday through Friday.

What I'm wondering is, how bad would the commute be? I know I'll be going against most of the traffic which is in my favor, but to be there by 8:30 what time should I leave? And I know coming home at night I'll probably run into some gridlock as I get inside the beltway towards my exit.

I'm thinking that later this week I'm going to make the drive in the morning to scope it out. I have no experience driving during rush hour down here, with the HOV lanes and whatnot. I'll be taking 66 which I assume is the easiest way to get there considering the office is just off exit 40. Would this drive be a bit crazy or not so bad? I just wanted to get some input from the board since you've been pretty helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,632,846 times
My husband commutes from Vienna to Manassas. It's about 40 minutes give or take. He gets on I-66 at Nutley Street (exit 62) and gets off at Business 234 (exit 43, I believe). It's not an awful commute, but he does put lots of miles on our car and uses up a lot of gas. Traffic is pretty light in the morning. Sometimes he gets stuck in some bottlenecks in the afternoon - not too bad. He still usually makes it home in 45 minutes. We used to live in Falls Church near Marshall High School, and the commute wasn't too much longer. I would leave an hour to be safe (maybe a little more in the beginning) and adjust accordingly. You could get a worse commute in this area! Good luck with your new job!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the tip, we signed a year least but depending on how things work out we may move in the future. I'm used to having a longer commute where I used to live, so I don't think 40-45 minutes will be too bad. I wish I could have found something closer but this was the first full time thing that worked out.

We'll see how it goes though, if the commute gets to be too much I can alway start the job hunt again. Thats one good thing about working in healthcare, different things open up all the time

Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,787,570 times
congrats on getting the job offer!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,031,221 times
That's a good commute. Most of the morning jam on Westbound 66 is East of there in the AM. If you were going the opposite direction it'd be horrific.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the advice. If I don't have anything going on Friday I'm going to make the morning part of the drive just to check it out and see how much time I should give myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or