U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times

Advertisements

I saw this on another forum. Anyone know what Virginia school they're talking about... and if the teacher was hired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Did anyone see the news report of the teacher that sexually abused a third grader? Apparently, the district knew about it and had the teacher transfer down to Virginia? The victim received compensation from the Federal Courts. I hope parents start questioning and find out what else they may be hiding.
The forum had this link, but it doesn't say where in Virginia the teacher tried to transfer.

DV School District To Pay $815,000 Sex Abuse Settlement | The Pike County Press (http://pikecountypress.com/wordpress/2010/01/11/dv-school-district-to-pay-815000-sex-abuse-settlement/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
k8p

141 posts, read 354,407 times
no, but I'm disgusted. I would like to know too.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,121,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I saw this on another forum. Anyone know what Virginia school they're talking about... and if the teacher was hired?

The forum had this link, but it doesn't say where in Virginia the teacher tried to transfer.

DV School District To Pay $815,000 Sex Abuse Settlement | The Pike County Press (http://pikecountypress.com/wordpress/2010/01/11/dv-school-district-to-pay-815000-sex-abuse-settlement/ - broken link)
It's not stated he was transferred to a Virginia school or that he was hired by one.

Articles state that Pennsylvania offered employment verification for a position in Virginia. As in, before he was arrested and after he voluntarily resigned, he must have applied to a position in Virginia and the PA school system was willing to vouch for him, without mentioning the allegations.

But he apparently never got to Virginia.

"Matthews, 62, is in state prison serving an 11 to 24-year sentence." (found guilty in 2006)

Sex abuse case costs Delaware Valley School District $815,000 | PoconoRecord.com

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 AM

486 posts, read 1,766,463 times
He's in state prison, serving an 11.5-24 yr. sentance.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,978 times
a little google research says he was HIRED by the Spotsylvania county school system. Sometimes I really can't stand people, who in their right mind would allow that to happen?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
It's not stated he was transferred to a Virginia school or that he was hired by one.

Articles state that Pennsylvania offered employment verification for a position in Virginia. As in, before he was arrested and after he voluntarily resigned, he must have applied to a position in Virginia and the PA school system was willing to vouch for him, without mentioning the allegations.

But he apparently never got to Virginia.

"Matthews, 62, is in state prison serving an 11 to 24-year sentence." (found guilty in 2006)

Sex abuse case costs Delaware Valley School District $815,000 | PoconoRecord.com
I hope that poor excuse of a human being will never get out of prison.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
a little google research says he was HIRED by the Spotsylvania county school system. Sometimes I really can't stand people, who in their right mind would allow that to happen?
Well I'm glad this surfaced before he ever got a chance to start teaching. I can't even begin to tell you how disgusted I am with that PA school system. What could they have been thinking, passing him on to a school in another state like that. Shame on them!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:35 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,642,391 times
I now live in Texas and this year the STATE of Texas mandated that ANYONE working in the public school system has to be fingerprinted by the state. (our district had long done district fingerprinting)
This goes from the Administrators, Office workers, teachers, custodial staff, lunch monitors etc...

Just to get into one of the schools you have to give your drivers license and have it scanned against the state database.

This went into effect in Oct 09 after being legislated in the summer I beleive.

Really helps keep all those creeps from other states skirting the system.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM

320 posts, read 613,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I now live in Texas and this year the STATE of Texas mandated that ANYONE working in the public school system has to be fingerprinted by the state. (our district had long done district fingerprinting)
This goes from the Administrators, Office workers, teachers, custodial staff, lunch monitors etc...

Just to get into one of the schools you have to give your drivers license and have it scanned against the state database.

This went into effect in Oct 09 after being legislated in the summer I beleive.

Really helps keep all those creeps from other states skirting the system.
Same here in Pr. Wm. -- if you visit a school, you have to hand over your ID and it is scanned/checked against the database.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
Same here in Pr. Wm. -- if you visit a school, you have to hand over your ID and it is scanned/checked against the database.
Good! Do they do that in all the Nova counties? They should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or