U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,078,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
It seems like Northern Virginia is doing better than most of other counties in the country. Do you think foreclosures are disappearing and the house prices increasing?
I definitely felt my house was worth 30% lower last year than this year looking at Zillows and MLS sites.
i seriously considered moving there 6 months ago but the cost of living, the taxation, the price of homes and the commute was outrageous. And it was rumored that in some areas you own the home but not the property (land) that the house is built on. Now how crazy is that!!!! That my friends is called modern-day slavery with a touch of lifetime indebtedness; you lose all the way around. I opted for Texas; sorry NoVA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:15 AM

437 posts, read 1,075,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
i seriously considered moving there 6 months ago but the cost of living, the taxation, the price of homes and the commute was outrageous. And it was rumored that in some areas you own the home but not the property (land) that the house is built on. Now how crazy is that!!!! That my friends is called modern-day slavery with a touch of lifetime indebtedness; you lose all the way around. I opted for Texas; sorry NoVA
It's always a good decision to make life-changing decisions based in part on bizarre rumors. Unless you're talking about "condominiums" - and I think even Texas has those!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
It's always a good decision to make life-changing decisions based in part on bizarre rumors. Unless you're talking about "condominiums" - and I think even Texas has those!
OK let's minus the rumor and let's just look at the total expense and cost to live there ...hmmm, let me think about that ... it is still not reasonable or rational Oh yes we do have a few condos but we look at them as more on the level of apartments; not homes. What you pay for an apartment/condo there; you can buy a very decent home here with your choice of a liitle land or much acreage; it's your preference pretty much.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,020,894 times
Quote:
OK let's minus the rumor and let's just look at the total expense and cost to live there ...hmmm, let me think about that ... it is still not reasonable or rational Oh yes we do have a few condos but we look at them as more on the level of apartments; not homes. What you pay for an apartment/condo there; you can buy a very decent home here with your choice of a liitle land or much acreage; it's your preference pretty much.

good lord people...not everyone wants to live in Texas. Not everyone wants to live in Virginia. Does it matter?

Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
good lord people...not everyone wants to live in Texas. Not everyone wants to live in Virginia. Does it matter?
no it doesn't. people live where they please; as they please But you have to use wisdom when choosing a location. Even in Texas the city of Plano thought of themselves more highly than the surrounding cities because of there home values, pay wages, the 4 to5 cars in the driveway and the types of "professional people" they attracted (i.e the techies. lawyers,etc) But when everyone began to outsource staff to other countries, the city of Plano was hit hard. Only then did the area found out that most living there were only ONE paycheck from bankruptcy. And let look at CA too! My point is use wisdom in deciding where to live; not egos or popularity...it always falls short of wisdom

Last edited by eyewrist; 01-13-2010 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 AM

2,018 posts, read 2,712,626 times
The answer every NoVA property owner, real estate agent, and local investor wants to hear is: Yes.

Yes, there are jobs here. But some NoVA sellers are still asking way too much for their houses.

Real estate statistics can be manipulated to suit anyone's agenda. There are only so many people you can crush into this region. At some point, you reach supersaturation with traffic and housing.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,834,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Yes, there are jobs here. But some NoVA sellers are still asking way too much for their houses.
LOL, gotta agree with this. In a way I salute their optimism, but I also think these sellers are unrealistic. A house in my neighborhood just went on the market trying to get 2006 prices. I wish them well, but it's not gonna happen IMO. When the owners get serious about selling, they'll drop down to the 2004 prices. That seems to be where my neighborhood settled.

...Then again, what do I know? I'm no real estate expert, I didn't predict how high prices would jump in 2006 either.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,834,488 times
Quote:
I'm happy for you, it's good to like the city where you live. I have to wonder though... if life in Texas is so great, why are you wasting time on the Virginia forum? Why aren't you out enjoying life in Texas? You must be really bored if you're reading threads about some place you didn't choose to move to.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,244,151 times
Normie, she's probably at work...so at least she is getting paid to browse the VA forum :-)

Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,244,151 times
Jeb77: you make a good point about sellers becoming more realistic. I've noticed There are many rentals on the market right now. -- probably because homeowners want to ride out the downturn, and then sell when it heats up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia