U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 PM

11,382 posts, read 20,186,364 times

Advertisements

Anybody else feel like me that winter is done and over with? I know in my head that I shouldn't think that way but I think it's psychological that we had this big snow, bitter cold, etc. (even though it's usually in Jan/Feb here) - I don't think my head can handle another (pretty wimpy, huh?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,236,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Anybody else feel like me that winter is done and over with? I know in my head that I shouldn't think that way but I think it's psychological that we had this big snow, bitter cold, etc. (even though it's usually in Jan/Feb here) - I don't think my head can handle another (pretty wimpy, huh?)

Yeah, I feel the same way. The real key is depends on whether or not that groundhog sees his shadow. I'd feel a lot better if we could just take him out this year... Does anyone know Bill Murray's (or Tonya Harding's) phone number?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,852,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post

Yeah, I feel the same way. The real key is depends on whether or not that groundhog sees his shadow. I'd feel a lot better if we could just take him out this year... Does anyone know Bill Murray's (or Tonya Harding's) phone number?
Just don't whack the groundhog before he gets a chance to see his shadow. It's part of his secret protection clause--if he gets whacked before shadow-time we'll have snow until June!

Saw lots of people in shorts today. OK, what the heck I may even surrender to it myself and put on a pair of shorts. But I'm not going jogging, I'm just going to stand outside for ten minutes and then realize it's still crazy to wear shorts in January.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,364,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That's one problem I have with the weather around here, this has happened before.. It's cold and then it gets warm and feels like spring. I dig out all the spring clothes out and BOOM it's snowing again. So I'm not letting myself think this is spring because it will get colder. I'm also a big wimp when it comes to winter weather..

Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,791,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
So I'm not letting myself think this is spring because it will get colder.
Absolutely right, this isn't spring--it's winter. The way Virginia winter's are supposed to be!

Anyway, it's a good thing you didn't go to Santa Barbara, EuroExpat. We've got nicer weather than they do right now.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Saw my first daffodil sprouts today. Hunndreds of them poking through, all up and down the garden. Now that's a cheerful sight.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Oh, and you know what else is a cheerful sight? The giant snow mountain that the snowplow created during the blizzard finally melted almost all the way down to the pavement. There's still about an inch of ice, but by tomorrow that will be gone too. It was once 4 feet high and I thought that thing would be there until May!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,637,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Oh, and you know what else is a cheerful sight? The giant snow mountain that the snowplow created during the blizzard finally melted almost all the way down to the pavement. There's still about an inch of ice, but by tomorrow that will be gone too. It was once 4 feet high and I thought that thing would be there until May!
I still have a dirty brown mountain on my corner, though it is shrinking. Hopefully it'll be gone by the end of this week.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I still have a dirty brown mountain on my corner, though it is shrinking. Hopefully it'll be gone by the end of this week.
LOL, we may need to have a contest to see whose "snow mountain" lasts the longest.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM

696 posts, read 1,496,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Saw my first daffodil sprouts today. Hunndreds of them poking through, all up and down the garden. Now that's a cheerful sight.
I saw some too! Having seen what this house looked like before they "flipped" it and we bought it, I would've never dreamed of seeing daffodils sprouting in the flower bed. My 4 1/2 yo and I were quite excited at the sight. Our family enjoyed organizing the garage today (finally all boxes are unpacked) with a late afternoon visit to the park. It was a beautiful day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia