Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I couldn't believe it -- there is a small patch of GRASS that has become visible under the tree in my front yard -- even though the snow mounds on the periphery of the yard are still several feet high! I feel like posting a sign and charging admission to see it .
LOL, a reminder that spring exists? I'd pay to see it!

Actually, we can see grass along the edge of my driveway. Every sunny day I kick (or shovel) a lot of snow into the driveway because by the time I get home the sun has melted it. Believe it or not I'm getting rid of a lot of snow that way. The power of the sun! We've now carved our snow piled all the way off the street and off the driveway and back to the grass. That may not sound like much, but it was 4 feet high and stuck several feet out into the road. The driveway was initially just wide enough for our cars to drive through (and we scraped the snowbanks at first). Now we have the whole drive cleared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Capitol Weather Gang is now saying:

While there's a 50/50 chance the precipitation may begin briefly as snow early Monday, it is likely to change to a wintry mix and eventually rain. In fact, the change to rain could happen rather quickly if the low passes far enough to our west.

Snow accumulation probabilities:

65%: Less than 1"
20%: 1-3"
10%: 3-6"
5%: 6"+

Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 PM

I wonder if the rain on Monday will melt away a portion of the snow mounds? That would be cool. I wouldn't want to see enough melting that it'd cause flooding, but I wouldn't mind seeing them all shrink 3-4 feet.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Capitol Weather Gang is now saying:

While there's a 50/50 chance the precipitation may begin briefly as snow early Monday, it is likely to change to a wintry mix and eventually rain. In fact, the change to rain could happen rather quickly if the low passes far enough to our west.

Snow accumulation probabilities:

65%: Less than 1"
20%: 1-3"
10%: 3-6"
5%: 6"+
The capital wx gang might have been suckered into a snowy forecast by all the snow we've had this winter. I hope its all rain.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
The capital wx gang might have been suckered into a snowy forecast by all the snow we've had this winter. I hope its all rain.
Actually, I'm a recent convert to Capitol Weather Gang. Of all the forecasters in town this winter they've been the most accurate and the least prone to exaggeration. Topper Shutt, on the other hand, loves to talk snow-snow-snow whether its accurate or not.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Well I was going to post and see how all the snow levels were but this answered my question. I sure hope if we come back in June the snow is gone. LOL I also hope if we come back there is not a repeat of this winter for a couple of years. I hope you are all coping.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM

722 posts, read 1,980,757 times
I have a window cracked open right now, and I can hear the drip-drip-drip from all the melting going on. It will definitely be gone by June

Well, except for some of the bigger piles

Capital Weather Gang is now saying all rain on Monday. They're less certain about Wednesday, but as of now, they do seem to think that possibilities for snow on that day have decreased a lot. It seems like we're finally getting back to our normal weather pattern, where the forecasters call for snow several days out, but then nothing comes of it. Well, except clouds and rain!

While I used to find that a little frustrating, this year I think I'll be dancing in the street to see it rain instead of snow!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:33 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
I have a window cracked open right now, and I can hear the drip-drip-drip from all the melting going on. It will definitely be gone by June

Well, except for some of the bigger piles

Capital Weather Gang is now saying all rain on Monday. They're less certain about Wednesday, but as of now, they do seem to think that possibilities for snow on that day have decreased a lot. It seems like we're finally getting back to our normal weather pattern, where the forecasters call for snow several days out, but then nothing comes of it. Well, except clouds and rain!

While I used to find that a little frustrating, this year I think I'll be dancing in the street to see it rain instead of snow!
It is nice to know I won't be trudging through piles of snow looking for a house to rent in June. Although I would be willing to bet it is possible some of parking lots could have snow piles left over. LOL

Old 02-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
It is nice to know I won't be trudging through piles of snow looking for a house to rent in June. Although I would be willing to bet it is possible some of parking lots could have snow piles left over. LOL
LOL, I HOPE not but hey, nothing would surprise me this year. The good news is, it looks like we've turned the corner. Spring is in the air. You can smell it. The snow is starting to melt big time--although we may be able to shoot fireworks from some of the snow mounds on the 4th of July.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:02 PM

96 posts, read 261,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, I HOPE not but hey, nothing would surprise me this year. The good news is, it looks like we've turned the corner. Spring is in the air. You can smell it. The snow is starting to melt big time--although we may be able to shoot fireworks from some of the snow mounds on the 4th of July.
It is remarkable how different our weather is between Northern and Sourthern New Mexico. You smell spring and we are getting dumped on with snow today. My husband is in D.C. today and says it is warm (almost 50s). I hope some of the snow melts off there in the next two weeks because we are headed to NOVA to look for a house to rent. However, seems like the snows we get, VA gets a few days later. I'll probably be househunting in the snow. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia