U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,098,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Crazy airline pricing - just searched a ticket the other day. A to C (with layover in B) was $362. If you only wanted to go A to B ticket was $513!!!!! Same flight from A to B for both tickets!!!

Haha, yep...you'll see that too. People that fly alot call those hidden cities (or something to that effect). Basically, you buy the A to C ticket, but don't take the B to C leg of the flight. Obviously, the airlines frown upon this, but if you're not worried about frequent flier miles, etc, then I don't know much of what they can do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 PM

15,402 posts, read 17,448,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Haha, yep...you'll see that too. People that fly alot call those hidden cities (or something to that effect). Basically, you buy the A to C ticket, but don't take the B to C leg of the flight. Obviously, the airlines frown upon this, but if you're not worried about frequent flier miles, etc, then I don't know much of what they can do.
Airlines have always been dumb about this sort of thing. Years ago when we moved here, I drove the rental van but my husband flew here (He needed to attend a meeting Monday morning in LA and start the new position in Nova the next day). Believe it or not it was cheaper to buy him a round trip ticket and just use half of it than to buy a 1-way ticket.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM

577 posts, read 1,125,215 times
I agree about taking Amtrak. You don't have to get there early, you have more space, and can get up and walk around during the ride. DC and NYC are points of origination so finding a seat is no problem. It's a comfortable way to go.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM

239 posts, read 431,179 times
The way I find flights (I do it often, used to be in a long-distance relationship and now I send my daughter to CA once per month to see her dad) is to do a search on expedia or side step and look for what I want. I then go to each of the sites and see if I can get it for lower than expedia. If you look on Side Step they will indicate which airlines they did not compare so you can dig a little deeper. I checked Southwest- they have a non-stop from BWI to Laquardia but it is more than the Expedia flights. I just did a quick Expedia search for non-stop to NYC and here are the results:
Delta JetBlue Airways UNITED US Airways American Airlines Continental Nonstop from [SIZE=2]$107
[/SIZE]
$129 total see below from [SIZE=2]$107
[/SIZE]
$129 total from [SIZE=2]$107
[/SIZE]
$129 total from [SIZE=2]$117
[/SIZE]
$139 total from [SIZE=2]$117
[/SIZE]
$139 total from [SIZE=2]$117
[/SIZE]
$139 total

Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,584,400 times
I wish one of those bus services to NYC would leave from Reston. It's a pain to have to drive in to Rosslyn or Union Station. Reston's a highly populated area with a lot of New Yorkers, those bus companies are missing out on a big market by not having one of the busses leave from out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia