U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,749,817 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried going to one of these meetup group activities? Did you like it, and did it turn out to be what you expected?

Also... is it also something you'd recommend for an older married couple or are meet-ups just for 20-something singles?

There's a meetup group in my town for getting together to play board games. Sounds like it could be fun, I'd enjoy meeting a new group of friends and I'd rather hang out with a mixed-age group than hang out at the senior center. But is it cool for older people to show up for these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 AM

7,964 posts, read 18,014,710 times
The answer is: it depends. Some groups I've seen are purposely age-specific (e.g. "Social Activities for 30-49 Year Olds") while others are vague ("Travel Club"). I'd say that if you decided to join Co-Ed Flag Football, then more power to you! But I've also seen an "Alexandria Sunday Brunch Club" that I'm sure attracts adults of all ages. FWIW, I sometimes go to a international language Meetup where I see people from their 20's to 50's (and probably beyond).

So I say find what you like, show up and see what happens.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,520,218 times
I really have a lot of fun with the DC Chamber Music Meet Up group. Meet Up is not just for the 20-somethings. I've got new friends from 20-something to late 70's from participating in this group.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,785,602 times
Do you feel safe going to these meet-up groups? I've thought about trying this, but I'm a little worried about going to someone's house. (And, of course, the groups that seem most interesting to me always seem to be the ones that meet at homes. Figures.)

Old 01-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Do you feel safe going to these meet-up groups? I've thought about trying this, but I'm a little worried about going to someone's house. (And, of course, the groups that seem most interesting to me always seem to be the ones that meet at homes. Figures.)
The ones I've attended always happened to be at a restaurant. I've seen some movie-fans who go to the multiplexes. There is a board game group that meets near me in Del Ray and, while I haven't had the chance to join in, the attendance per the e-mail seems pretty consistent.

I suppose you could try a group that meets at a house in a location that's close to you or that you're otherwise very familiar with. I can understand feeling funny about going in a stranger's house - I imagine the host gets a bit nervous too - but I doubt they'll be setting you up with knockout drops in your soda.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM

So Tone, it sounds like you've tried a few of them. In general, what did you think? Was it what you expected? Any advice how how to choose a good group? One thing I wonder about is some of the groups are labelled "private." What does that mean, and are those the good groups or the groups to avoid?

I'm not too worried about safety. I've been active in all sorts of groups over the years, which means I've going to meetings at stranger's homes. The first time you go to any group that meets in a home, you're going to a stranger's house. If you have some basic common sense I think you'll be just fine.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 AM

722 posts, read 1,749,626 times
I've been to a few. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.

Most of the groups I've been involved with have been SAHM groups (meetup has a slew of them), but I've also joined an all-ages, all-interest book club in Arlington. I haven't made one of their meetings yet, but I'm really hoping to, it looks like a great group.

Normie, a private group just means that you can't access any information about the group or its meetups until you join it. And one of the group organizers will generally have to approve it if you ask to join one of these groups. The SAHM groups use this function a lot for obvious security reasons - for instance, if they make a habit of posting pictures of the kids from our meetups, then we don't want those pictures accessible to anyone except other members of the group.

Some groups will want you to go through a process to join - fill out a full profile, submit a photograph, maybe even talk to one of the organizers on the phone. But others, especially ones not involving kids and meeting in public places, will let anyone join.

One SAHM group I investigated (but ultimately didn't join) would only invite new/prospective members to outings at public places until everyone was comfortable with each other.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,520,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yes - all the Meet Up's I've been to have been at people's houses. I've even hosted several at my house. Once one of the participants did call someone to check in after she arrived to let they know that everything was OK.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 PM

athousandlogins' answers pretty much summed up what I would have said. I've only actually been to one group here - the language group - but I subscribe to a few others that I haven't been able to get out to yet.

Assuming the group you're interested in isn't private, check out the membership to get a feel if they are in demographics that you would feel comfortable with. Other than that, most groups will be fairly obvious as to those that they are most interested in attracting. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
One SAHM group I investigated (but ultimately didn't join) would only invite new/prospective members to outings at public places until everyone was comfortable with each other.
I like that idea--a group that does something like that sounds like a smart group to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia