U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I thought NoVA was all sunshine and puppies?
LOL, he sings in DC, not Nova... but if you'd like, you can try singing on the metro yourself and see what sort of response you get. Just make sure you wait until the train goes into Virginia... and sing a song about sunshine. Followed by a rendition of "Puppy Love."

Oh and be sure to videotape it. Because this we gotta see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,003,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Amazing. You post this, and crickets chirp. I post a while ago about the rude woman at Chick-Fil-A, and I "must be making it up." Why don't people understand that there are more rude people here per capita than other areas?
One anecdotal story doesn't mean there are more rude people here than anywhere else.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,961,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Because there aren't.

Alicia posted an experience about a rude, possibly mentally ill, person, but didn't extrapolate to claim that Crystal City, or better yet, all of Northern Virginia, was the worst place with the worst people in the world, unlike where she grew up/went to school/formerly lived/never lived but is certain it's better.

She also didn't claim she was so angry about this horrible person that she fantasized about crashing her car into hers.

There is a difference. We don't think NoVA is sunshine and puppies. We also don't think it's overcast and pitbulls.
Ha! And just today I was wondering where Scran-Barre had disappeared to ... how's the Pittsburgh job search going, Scran?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,961,595 times
This past summer my son saw a guy propose on the Metro -- he got down on one knee and pulled out a ring and had a friend along to videotape it.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,541,867 times
Check out these Metro Riders!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs137.snc3/18457_1236509805096_1599775676_30604295_3909175_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 01-20-2010, 07:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times
The wierdest thing I've ever seen on Metro was when a group a 5 segway riders boarded my train compartment. They had colorful, almost matching outfits and color coordinated helmets so I think they might have been part of a drill team or maybe an advertising stunt.

I've seen a few bad things happen on metros, too, but so far not here (knock on wood). I saw a small scuffle on a train in San Francisco. I saw a mugging while I was waiting for the light rail in Pittsburgh. I'm sure things like that happen in Nova, but I don't feel nervous waiting for a train here like I do in many other cities.

The wierdest thing we have is some guy singing? I'll take that kind of wierdness, any day.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Check out these Metro Riders!
LOL, reminds me of some of the costumes people wear for the marathon. And of course you get to the marathon by taking metro.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 9,122 times
The other day there was a serious body builder looking type with a Metallica shirt on- rocking out to Lady Gaga. Was very entertaining because it was so out of place.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM

509 posts, read 855,211 times
A couple of years ago I saw a teenage normal looking girl get on the Metro in Vienna dressed just like an average teenager. By the time we had gotten down to DC, she had completely changed her outfit and appearance to an extreme goth look - I'm talking makeup, nail polish, jewelry, clothes, the works. She was really busy changing herself over - most likely she didn't want her parents to see her this way. A lot of people watched the spectacle as it became apparent what she was doing. Words don't really do it justice - it had to be seen to believe it (included changing pants and top - basically revealing underwear garments)!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM

509 posts, read 855,211 times
Then again another time on the weekend, there was some Christian evangelist group that got on at West Falls Church, and immediately started going up to every passenger in the car and trying to push their ideas on us. A bunch of us switched cars at the very next stop we were able to - as these folks (in their 20's) were ultra pushy and wanted to know everyone's religion - and started saying negative things about mainstream religions other than Christian, implying those people wouldn't be saved, etc. etc.

That was really strange - to be minding your own business and some pushy person demanding to know what religion you were, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or