U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM

509 posts, read 855,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
One anecdotal story doesn't mean there are more rude people here than anywhere else.
Exactly! You can find anecdotal stories like that anywhere in the USA. To extrapolate from these kind of stories to say the whole area has more rude people per capita - this is a perfect example of the statement "statistics can be made to lie" not that one or two anecdotal stories even constitute statistics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,828,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Then again another time on the weekend, there was some Christian evangelist group that got on at West Falls Church, and immediately started going up to every passenger in the car and trying to push their ideas on us. A bunch of us switched cars at the very next stop we were able to - as these folks (in their 20's) were ultra pushy and wanted to know everyone's religion - and started saying negative things about mainstream religions other than Christian, implying those people wouldn't be saved, etc. etc.

That was really strange - to be minding your own business and some pushy person demanding to know what religion you were, etc.
That's a shame, I wish people wouldn't do that. Evangelists like that were one of the very few things I really didn't like about living in GA. To me Nova is a bit of fresh air because it's easier to avoid the evangelists (at least for me it is--sorry to hear you weren't as lucky).

It's one thing to sing a religious song, and let everyone decide for themselves what it might mean. I choose to interpret that as simply someone enjoying singing. It's quite another thing to demand to know what religion other passengers are. I'm Christian but I'd get uncomfortable if I saw people acting that way, especially in a confined space like a metro car. I think I would do the same thing you did, move to another car.

Hmmm... wonder if that was the secret goal? Maybe they really wanted to have a train to themselves.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That's a shame, I wish people wouldn't do that. Evangelists like that were one of the very few things I really didn't like about living in GA. To me Nova is a bit of fresh air because it's easier to avoid the evangelists (at least for me it is--sorry to hear you weren't as lucky).

It's one thing to sing a religious song, and let everyone decide for themselves what it might mean. I choose to interpret that as simply someone enjoying singing. It's quite another thing to demand to know what religion other passengers are. I'm Christian but I'd get uncomfortable if I saw people acting that way, especially in a confined space like a metro car. I think I would do the same thing you did, move to another car.

Hmmm... wonder if that was the secret goal? Maybe they really wanted to have a train to themselves.
That's the problem - these people were really "in your face" and made denigrating remarks about Jews, etc. They had on identical t-shirts that had the name of some evangelist ministry on it - I forget exactly what. I was tempted to send that ministry a letter telling them how despicable I thought the behavior was, but decided it wasn't worth the bother.

Maybe they were just trying to clear out the train so the 5 or 6 of them could have it to themselves! You might be on to something there... It was rather over-the-top behavior to say the least!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,081,650 times
Quote:
Pants-less day? LOL, I missed hearing about that. How many people did this, and just how pants-less were they?
I did the no pants metro ride. It was awesome. So I guess I'm the weirdest thing I've seen on the metro. There was a guy walking around dressed like a Grateful Dead bear. One couple was literally on their way to the airport. One woman just kept smiling at me. Another woman told her friend "I got a story to tell now!"

It was really fun getting the reactions. But really and truly most people smirked and then went about their business. The rules were no riding outside downtown, U street and Dupont. The cops were in the downtown stations and didn't say anything but I missed the last stop and found myself alone in VA. The couple chickened out once we crossed the state line but I kept my pants off. I got off at the Pentagon got a few "where are your pants?" when I went to L'Enfant Plaza to get my car I was so cold but a few folks were walking downtown with no pants it was awesome. I can't wait for next year it was a lot of fun despite the chilly metro stations. There were several reporters but so far haven't seen myself on the news. Oh well so much for stardom.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM

Actually, one time I had some girl in a really strange hippy type outfit approach me at Dulles - she was I guess one of those "Moonie's" and tried to hand me some book to read, etc. When I said I wasn't interested she kept on following me until I got to the security for passengers who had tickets! Thank goodness for only letting ticketed passenger through - or she might have followed me all the way to the gate!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I did the no pants metro ride. It was awesome. So I guess I'm the weirdest thing I've seen on the metro. There was a guy walking around dressed like a Grateful Dead bear. One couple was literally on their way to the airport. One woman just kept smiling at me. Another woman told her friend "I got a story to tell now!"

It was really fun getting the reactions. But really and truly most people smirked and then went about their business. The rules were no riding outside downtown, U street and Dupont. The cops were in the downtown stations and didn't say anything but I missed the last stop and found myself alone in VA. The couple chickened out once we crossed the state line but I kept my pants off. I got off at the Pentagon got a few "where are your pants?" when I went to L'Enfant Plaza to get my car I was so cold but a few folks were walking downtown with no pants it was awesome. I can't wait for next year it was a lot of fun despite the chilly metro stations. There were several reporters but so far haven't seen myself on the news. Oh well so much for stardom.
Too bad you didn't take a video--you'd get instant stardom on you-tube. (Plus, now I'm nosy. I wish I could have seen it!) Who needs the nightly news, the internet is where stars are born these days.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Actually, one time I had some girl in a really strange hippy type outfit approach me at Dulles - she was I guess one of those "Moonie's" and tried to hand me some book to read, etc. When I said I wasn't interested she kept on following me until I got to the security for passengers who had tickets! Thank goodness for only letting ticketed passenger through - or she might have followed me all the way to the gate!
LOL, I've always said the worst evangelists are in southern California... and they aren't pushing Christianity. Moonies, Jehovah's witnesses, and various cults are extremely pushy there.

But... I'm veering off topic here. Getting back to metro, why did they decide to hold pants-less day in the middle of January? Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM

36 posts, read 77,734 times
I am a mom and sometimes forget I am not EVERYONE'S mom; so I am on the Metro and these low riding teens get on and take the first seats (which are handicaped) instead of walking three feet to the regular seats like the rest of us. No one says anything. But the next stop an elderly couple get on and they don't make a move. I see that the door is about to close on the couple so I get up to help them and along the way berate the teens into moving and respect their elders (crap I don't say outload on purpose ever because it makes me feel old). They move and everything is fine except I stand instead of facing them again in case they can sense my embarassment.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM

The trains are fun right after the July 4th fireworks. It's one big party. That's a time you can see some mildly bizarre antics.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM

23,649 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
The trains are fun right after the July 4th fireworks. It's one big party. That's a time you can see some mildly bizarre antics.
Also, going to a night Redskin game on the Metro is just fun, especially when the Cowgirls are in town. Heck it is more exciting than that stupid FedEx field itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or