U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM

639 posts, read 1,152,058 times

Advertisements

Oh, man! I cannot wait to start riding these trains!

If the name of this thread was called "Weirdest Thing That's Ever Happened to You at an Airport or on a Plane," I would have stories for days. Surely, it would extend to public transit systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,477,375 times
About 7-8 years ago there was this crazy woman who would start yelling on the metro, in German. She would hold up a german passport, and shout "ausdauern!" and once in a while she would shout "i'm not subject to your laws!" as she would flash the passport. Haven't seen from her in a while, but I did see this happen several times...

My worst personal experience was taking the blueline from rosslyn to king street, and by about national airport, someone farted really badly. I was on the verge of throwing up, and once I got to king street, I had to go to the hotel acrross the street and got sick.. It was horrible, and people were gagging, trying to get off, but when you're stuck in between stations, there's no place you can go... I almost got sick on the metro that time.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM

219 posts, read 411,494 times
Several times I rode in the same car as a fellow with Tourette's Syndrome. It's wrong of me, and I'm sure caused him much consternation and difficulty in life, but this was pretty entertaining, especially the looks on the faces of some of our fellow passengers.

Our packed rush hour orange line train stopped at Rosslyn. As soon as the doors opened, a large guy in the middle of the car leaped up and charged through the crowds like an NFL player and flung himself off the train into the crowd waiting to board.

One evening coming home from Farragut West there were 2 guys who had been to the gentlemans clubs on M street. Pretty tipsy, one guy kept insisting that one of the girls really seemed to 'like him' and be interested in him as more than just some guy with dollar bills at a strip club. His more level headed friend kept trying to talk him out of that idea.

I think I saw the hymn guy once, but usually it was young women with headphones on who were the singers, just for their own entertainment, and making you wish their batteries would die.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,152,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
Several times I rode in the same car as a fellow with Tourette's Syndrome.
This is exactly what I'm talking about; on my flight home, I sat next to a guy with Tourette's. Not the blurting out kind, but he did compulsive movements. Super nice guy, and we talked almost the whole flight. But since he was a large and tall man, everytime he "ticked," the whole row of seats jerked

Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 PM

473 posts, read 990,965 times
This is not weird, per say, but kinda like how truth is stranger than fiction. I was getting on a train at Union station and I go around this group of kids (early teens) in a circle. They were all lauging and cracking jokes. Nothing threatening. I walked by them so I could be at the end of the train so I could exit close to the escalator at my stop.

It was a saturday or sunday so the trains were not running as often. The train comes, I get in, and there was a woman who rushes in to get in before the doors close. She announces to the folks seated in the seats by the door (me included) how she thinks one of those kids had just been stabbed.

As the train rolls by the group, sure enough there was a kid seated in one of those granite benches holding his stomach. And, a station manager is running down the escalator, presumably, to offer aid.

Anyway, it was all so "normal". I guess I'm so used to seeing violence on TV with music and loud threats and this kid just gets stabbed a few feet from me. Recollecting the scene on the moving train I guess I remember how the kids kinda quieted down at some point so this may have been when the kid got stabbed.

I wish I could have paid attention and been a witness to the authorities, but to tell you the truth I didn't even count the number of kids in the circle or if the assailant or assailants ran off after they did the stabbing.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,964,161 times
Last year when the American Idols came to perform in DC, my husband was in a Metro car with several of them. He didn't talk to them but a lot of others did. (I would have!) They got off at Pentagon City since they were staying at the Ritz-Carlton there.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,834,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Having the metrorail driver announce stops in a fake Australian accent. It was funny.
LOL, I know what driver you're talking about. He's funny! He has the orange line on the weekends a lot of times. He uses a couple of different accents, and every stop he uses a different accent or some silly joke to encourage people to move to the back trains.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM

815 posts, read 1,110,833 times
In this afternoon's rush hour there was someone standing on the platform at Metro Center for the Orange and Blue lines who had wrapped his head, chest, and arms in strings of blinking lights. Not the brightest bulb on the tree, I think.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,367,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I know what driver you're talking about. He's funny! He has the orange line on the weekends a lot of times. He uses a couple of different accents, and every stop he uses a different accent or some silly joke to encourage people to move to the back trains.

HAHAHAHAHA that's the first I've heard of that. Which line is he on????

Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,878,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Wow, he's still doing it? I haven't lived in the DC area for 4 years. And when I heard the announcer doing the fake accents, that had to have been 8 or 9 years ago. It's good that he's having fun with his job. I'd rather have him as a driver than some cranky person with a bad attitude who hates his/her job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or