Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM

96 posts, read 261,751 times

Advertisements

We are about to move to NOVA area for 2 to 4 years. My husband will work downtown D.C. near the Mall. We did this 10 years ago and lived in a small townhouse at Tysons Corner. While the bus/metro commute for us was complicated, it worked out all right. However, this time we would like to find a house since we now have a very well-trained dog that will require some yard space. I've been searching on line for a few weeks and solicited help from a property management company. They've been sort of helpful but they don't have much to choose from. I attempted to use a realtor site, but they have chosen not to respond. We need 2 or 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a yard. We don't care about schools and want a nice home. We are ideal tenants as we have adequate budget, are extremely neat, and don't object to putting money into a home that really isn't ours to make it even nicer. We will be keeping our own home in Santa Fe as well so we would like to keep the rent at around $3K/month or less. This forum is outstanding and I've read a lot, but I wonder if someone can point me to a good real estate firm or property management company that can really help us, or advise in any way a method of accomplishing this search. I think Old Town looks wonderful and I'd like that area, but we are open to all suggestions as long as the area is nice and there are commuting options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
If you can find a place in Old Town Alexandria in your range (might be possible but not sure) then that would certainly be a convenient commute to DC. Perhaps North Arlington as well. For something more bucolic, Falls Church would be a nice choice. Mount Vernon, below Alexandria would make for a pleasant drive via the George Washington Parkway; there's also an express bus into NW DC.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-20-2010 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: meant to say an express *bus* not *car* :)

Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFean View Post
We are about to move to NOVA area for 2 to 4 years. My husband will work downtown D.C. near the Mall. We did this 10 years ago and lived in a small townhouse at Tysons Corner. While the bus/metro commute for us was complicated, it worked out all right. However, this time we would like to find a house since we now have a very well-trained dog that will require some yard space. I've been searching on line for a few weeks and solicited help from a property management company. They've been sort of helpful but they don't have much to choose from. I attempted to use a realtor site, but they have chosen not to respond. We need 2 or 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a yard. We don't care about schools and want a nice home. We are ideal tenants as we have adequate budget, are extremely neat, and don't object to putting money into a home that really isn't ours to make it even nicer. We will be keeping our own home in Santa Fe as well so we would like to keep the rent at around $3K/month or less. This forum is outstanding and I've read a lot, but I wonder if someone can point me to a good real estate firm or property management company that can really help us, or advise in any way a method of accomplishing this search. I think Old Town looks wonderful and I'd like that area, but we are open to all suggestions as long as the area is nice and there are commuting options.
Check on Craigslist. There should be some that fit on there. The homes in Mount Vernon are nice as they're older and so tend to be on bigger lots relative to the size of the house. The commute up the GW parkway into DC isn't too bad. You can definitely get a nice place for $3K.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
I know an agent who only does rentals and knows the area well. His name is Eddie Edwards, with Century 21 New Millenium in McLean. His cell is 703-748-6154. This is not an advertisement, I get nothing from this. He did a good job with his clients who rented one of my listings. Most agents do not like rentals because the commission is so low, but this is his area of expertise. This is my good deed for the day.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Check on Craigslist. There should be some that fit on there. The homes in Mount Vernon are nice as they're older and so tend to be on bigger lots relative to the size of the house. The commute up the GW parkway into DC isn't too bad. You can definitely get a nice place for $3K.
You are right, CACA1990. We did find a beautiful home in Mt. Vernon; however, we would like to find something that will enable a commute into DC via metro and not have to drive. So, we are still looking. I will check Craigslist. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I know an agent who only does rentals and knows the area well. His name is Eddie Edwards, with Century 21 New Millenium in McLean. His cell is 703-748-6154. This is not an advertisement, I get nothing from this. He did a good job with his clients who rented one of my listings. Most agents do not like rentals because the commission is so low, but this is his area of expertise. This is my good deed for the day.
Margery, thanks a million! I wish I could find a home where the owners need their property well cared for until (1) they return or (2) they want to wait for the market to improve to sell their home. I'm fully aware of how weary one is about leasing their home out to strangers. I am in that position as well since it would be nice to have someone live in our permanent home and take care of it while we are in the DC area.

Again, thanks for your response.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM

Thanks so much, JfromReston. There are a couple of possibilities here; however, many of these will not accept a pet - no matter how well trained. Interestingly, these properties are from the real estate agency that has failed to respond to my 'on line' inquiries. I guess I need to call the agents individually. Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:01 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
Try militarybyowner.com, you don't have to be military to use it. I just took a look and some said pets allowed, others said on upon approval. When you search, choose VA, then Pentagon as the station.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Try militarybyowner.com, you don't have to be military to use it. I just took a look and some said pets allowed, others said on upon approval. When you search, choose VA, then Pentagon as the station.
Thanks very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia