U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Virginia
Yea 36 51.43%
Nay 34 48.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM

30,220 posts, read 67,365,623 times

Advertisements

It should come as no surprise to anyone who lives in the DC Metro Area that Northern Virginia (NoVA) is intrinsically far removed from the rest of Virginia (RoVA) on numerous levels. We tend to be moderately liberal, overall, on social issues such as same-sex marriage, socialized health care, and even abortion. Most of the rest of the state, save for a couple of select pockets like Charlottesville, are solidly socially conservative. The high-earners in NoVA send tax dollars to Richmond; only a fraction of that comes back to us, meaning we, in effect, are helping to shore up RoVA financially at our own expense. Many in RoVA dislike NoVA because we are officially a part of the BosWash Megalopolis and have lost any "Southern Hospitality" we may have once had.

Fairfax County has been pressing the idea to incorporate itself into one of the nation's largest cities to spite the Commonwealth of Virginia, which has cut the share of transportation funding coming to us so drastically that we can barely function. With major "tax hubs" like Tyson's Corner, Reston, Great Falls, and Fairfax in its midst, the rest of the state would be brought to its knees financially with billions in lost revenues. Instead of having the District of Columbia become a suburb of the much larger City of Fairfax County (not to be confused with the existing City of Fairfax which wouldn't be absorbed), should the possibility of NoVA seceding from RoVA be explored?

I've read on numerous Internet forums about how much people in RoVA despise us in NoVA, even though without OUR tax dollars propping them up people in RoVA might still have dirt roads, outhouses, and one-room schoolhouses. Should we give them what they want and cut them off from our "tax tap?" Should we do this for ourselves so we can actually get some decent services for a change? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 03:53 PM

23,649 posts, read 33,451,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It should come as no surprise to anyone who lives in the DC Metro Area that Northern Virginia (NoVA) is intrinsically far removed from the rest of Virginia (RoVA) on numerous levels. We tend to be moderately liberal, overall, on social issues such as same-sex marriage, socialized health care, and even abortion. Most of the rest of the state, save for a couple of select pockets like Charlottesville, are solidly socially conservative. The high-earners in NoVA send tax dollars to Richmond; only a fraction of that comes back to us, meaning we, in effect, are helping to shore up RoVA financially at our own expense. Many in RoVA dislike NoVA because we are officially a part of the BosWash Megalopolis and have lost any "Southern Hospitality" we may have once had.

Fairfax County has been pressing idea to incorporate itself into one of the nation's largest cities to spite the Commonwealth of Virginia, which has cut the share of transportation funding coming to us so drastically that we can barely function. With major "tax hubs" like Tyson's Corner, Reston, Great Falls, and Fairfax in its midst, the rest of the state would be brought to its knees financially with billions in lost revenues. Instead of having the District of Columbia become a suburb of the much larger City of Fairfax County (not to be confused with the existing City of Fairfax which wouldn't be absorbed), should the possibility of NoVA seceding from RoVA be explored?

I've read on numerous Internet forums about how much people in RoVA despise us in NoVA, even though without OUR tax dollars propping them up people in RoVA might still have dirt roads, outhouses, and one-room schoolhouses. Should we give them what they want and cut them off from our "tax tap?" Should we do this for ourselves so we can actually get some decent services for a change? Opinions?
I'm kinda torn on this.

On one hand as a native "RoVA" guy (Hampton Roads), I'm sick of the attitudes of Northern Virginians have about us. A lot of NoVAns think we are stupid poor trash. NoVA thinks RoVA would be absolutely nothing with NoVA's money. I think RoVA could survive without NoVA's money because of the military, federal government presence, and tourism in Hampton Roads, and some corporate presence in Richmond.

On the other hand, RoVA is running a pretty good scam with leeching off of NoVA and I always like getting over on NoVA. So I would hate to give that up.

All in all, I would probably tell NoVA if you want to leave, SCRAM!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,141,231 times
You aren't the first to suggest this. Virginia is going to stay Virginia. Urban sprawl from DC is spreading down 95 and will soon bring Richmond into this megalopolis you speak of.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
LOL, well it's an idea that has its plusses and minuses.

Plus: Being the most employment-oriented of the states, it makes sense that we would call our governor the boss. Which means that at official functions they could announce him while the band played "Blame It On The Boss-of-Nova."

Minus: The State of Nova wouldn't have any beach front property. Don't know if I can live in a state without beaches.

Additional Minus: The Salahis will still be living in my state. Or.... could we draw the state line leaving a little island right around their winery?????

Maybe a plus, maybe a minus: The word SuperNova will be used in our state motto. Depending on how they use it... it might be cringeworthy.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:22 PM

30,220 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Default Boundaries?

If we were to stake out claims for "North Virginia", where does everyone think we should draw the boundary lines?

http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/cou...county-map.gif

I'm thinking the following jurisdictions should be considered (2008 populations):

Alexandria: 143,885
Arlington County: 209,969
Clarke County: 14,458
Culpeper County: 46,203
Fairfax: 23,844
Fairfax County: 1,015,302
Falls Church: 11,169
Fauquier County: 66,839
Frederick County: 73,898
Fredericksburg: 22,818
Herndon: 22,045
Leesburg: 39,641
Loudoun County: 289,995
Manassas: 35,205
Manassas Park: 11,319
Prince William County: 364,734
Rappahannock County: 7,158
Spotsylvania County: 120,031
Stafford County: 121,736
Vienna: 14,903
Warren County: 36,663
Warrenton: 8,947
Winchester: 25,897

Total Population: 2,726,659

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-21-2010 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Copyright issue - please post links to images that are not your own. Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM

631 posts, read 1,141,231 times
Why are you people advocating to get rid of your potential for growth. You might think this is a good idea now but what about 30 years from now? Remember how Fairfax was 30 years ago? My bet is that most of you don't.

Last edited by RVA-Jsn20; 01-20-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,120,745 times
Every single state has their intra-state squabbles.

People from Upstate NY hate NYC and vice versa. People from Philly hate people from the rest of PA and vice versa.

In every large state, the cities and suburban areas produce the most wealth per capita and the rural areas get the most state money per capita. This has been going on for years and yet for all the talk about the subject, no area has ever seceded from a state based on this. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
Quote:
The high-earners in NoVA send tax dollars to Richmond; only a fraction of that comes back to us, meaning we, in effect, are helping to shore up RoVA financially at our own expense.
Here is an example:

Bounty may bypass N.Va. schools if formula change is delayed

Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM

23,649 posts, read 33,451,681 times
Quote:
If we were to stake out claims for "North Virginia", where does everyone think we should draw the boundary lines?
How about just Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax County? You take 1.2 million people away from Virginia.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM

1,542 posts, read 4,002,292 times
IF this ever happened I would be packing my bags and moving down to Richmond, but this will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia