U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

696 posts, read 1,494,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oh, I'm glad to see this thread again! I've had a few things happen lately that should be added to the list, but the one that really struck me was when I was on the metro a few weeks ago after a Nats game.

I think I already told this story on this forum, but what happened was the train was very crowded after the game. A elderly lady got on, and a man gave her his seat. He was so classy about it.

And the cool thing was it started a wave of people doing the right thing. At the next stop, 4-5 people did exactly the same thing and gave up their seats. I got off at that stop but I wouldn't be surprised if it continued at the next stop, too. Seeing that made my whole day.
Hey, that was my husband! He was at the Nats game a few weeks ago and that is something that he would TOTALLY do!

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,759,541 times
This is just a small one, but a few days ago I was at Meadowlark Gardens and saw a guy taking a photo of his wife and two kids at the gazebo on the lake. A stranger offered to take the photo so he could be in the shot. I thought that was a nice thing to do.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,130,735 times
Today I drove over to the Walmart in Burke, when I was getting ready to pull out of my parking spot this women allowed me to go in front of her, I assumed she wanted my parking spot, but no, she was just being nice. It was a small thing but was nice.

Normie, we saw several people last week in DC offering to take pictures for people, funny how if you just ask most people are more than willing to take a picture.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post

Normie, we saw several people last week in DC offering to take pictures for people, funny how if you just ask most people are more than willing to take a picture.
Nice to hear that that's just an ordinary part of life around here. That wasn't typical in LA at all. I would have been afraid to hand my camera over to a stranger where I used to live.

It's funny--so many times this past year some random nice thing happened and I would think about posting them in this thread. But now that it's been revived I can't think of them. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next one...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 PM

189 posts, read 328,948 times
I have to say... normie, Caladium, and movingtodcfromseattle... I've been on this forum for a few hours, and you folks are the kind of people I dearly hope to be neighbors with when we finally land.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM

11,342 posts, read 20,111,332 times
Not to be too cynical but some things posted as "kind" to me are just things you do and don't give a second thought to. I read some things and think to myself "I've always done that" etc. and don't think twice about it - just the way to be (if that makes sense).

Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM

30,075 posts, read 67,129,749 times
One day last week I was having one of my "down" days and went for a run on the Washington & Old Dominion Trail to try to shirk it off. As if on cue God sent me an angel---a complete stranger---who came up behind me on her bike as I ran and gave me a very kind compliment that boosted my self-esteem and brought a smile to my face. Just as soon as she sped up behind me she was gone.

I was so touched by this I even tried to find her on CraigsList by posting an ad, but thus far no success in thanking her in person for her kindness. Sometimes just one nice thing can make someone go from crying their eyes out inside to feeling a reason to live again.

Angel on the W&OD Trail, ME: Runner; YOU: Cyclist - m4w (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mis/1870645939.html - broken link)

Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,130,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not to be too cynical but some things posted as "kind" to me are just things you do and don't give a second thought to. I read some things and think to myself "I've always done that" etc. and don't think twice about it - just the way to be (if that makes sense).
I understand what you are saying, these are things that you just do, but in this area they seem to be few and far between. The kind thing that happened to me is something that happens all the time where we moved from but not very often here, most just want you to get out of the way so they can have your parking spot.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not cynical at all. I think there are a lot of people like you (and I think I'm one of them too). Treating people kindly was the way I was raised, and I've noticed that when you're like that you tend to attract other people like that into your life. But even though it seems like a very ordinary thing to me, the thing to remember is kindness is contagious. I think it's good to stop to take note of it--it means you're passing it on so hopefully it becomes ordinary for lots of other people, too.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Yesterday at Wegman's, they were giving away coupons for free sodas to anyone who bought a sub sandwich. The lady in front of me offered us the coupon, since she didn't want a soda. We didn't want it either. Now most people at this point would just shrug and say "oh well." But this lady went out of her way to find someone who wanted it and give it them. That was a nice thing to do.

Also, the other day my son's car got a flat tire, and someone stopped to help him jack the car up and replace the tire.

These are both things that go on the "everyday kindnesses, no big deal" list. And yet, they're the sorts of things a lot of people don't do anymore. I'm glad we live in a place where people still act that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia