U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM

28 posts, read 87,750 times

Advertisements

For you Ashburn residents, I'm curious to know what you would rate as the "best of" in your community - for example

best park
best walking trails
best pool
best high school/ elementary/ middle school
best shopping
best dining
best date night venue
best movie theater
best place to spend time with kids
best indoor gym

etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,301 times
best park - Trailside and Dinosaur Park (= Ashburn Park), both are excellent

best walking trails - everywhere.. I'm in Ashburn Farm and can walk pretty much anywhere (the library, store, parks..)

best pool - haven't tried any but all look inviting in Ashburn.. There are two water parks close by, one in Sterling (off of Algonkian) and a brand new one in Leesburg.. Claude Moore has a great new indoor gym/pool facility!

best high school/ elementary/ middle school - only experience with Legacy Elementary in Brambleton, so far we absolutely love it!

best shopping - Wegmans for food (technically in Sterling), Dulles Town Center or Tysons Corner for other shopping

best dining - Red Robin for family meals in Broadlands

best date night venue - Brambleton town center (dinner and movie, followed by coffee)

best movie theater - see above

best place to spend time with kids - local parks and walking trails, Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, animal park in Leesburg, Ida Lee in Leesburg etc.

Last edited by EuroExpat; 01-22-2010 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: adding a pool..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Why do they call it dinosaur park?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Why do they call it dinosaur park?
Because most of the play structures are dinosaur themed :-D There is a huge t-rex looking structure you an climb on etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Because most of the play structures are dinosaur themed :-D There is a huge t-rex looking structure you an climb on etc.
Cool! I've got to go check that out. Where is it?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Cool! I've got to go check that out. Where is it?
It's off of Ashburn Rd. Turn onto Partlow Rd and go all the way to the end. There is a parking lot in front of the park. Most of it is wooded so it can be really nice on a hot summer day. There are trails leading to small bridges where kids love to play. I live within a 5-10min walk away so we never drive there. It's an awesome place for kids to play.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM

989 posts, read 2,466,785 times
I'll take a stab, too

best park- Agree with Dinosaur park and Trailside Park (if you take a little hike west on the W&OD trail you can check out Luck Stone quarry-there is a pretty nice view-it's about a 10 minute walk from Trailside).

best walking trails- I am also partial to the Ashburn Farm trails and the W&OD is nice, too, but lots of bicycle riders

best pool- Lifetime Fitness has a great outdoor pool with a beach entry and two waterslides. Downside is you have to be a member to enjoy. They also have two indoor pools as well.

best high school/ elementary/ middle school- this is a point of contention for EVERYONE. I am partial to Stone Bridge HS because that's (currently) our local school/ we like Cedar Lane Elementary/ don't have enough data to make a recommendation for a middle school

best shopping- Wegmans for food (as long as you go "off" hours), Global Foods at the corner of Ashburn Rd and Ashburn Farm Parkway (where the Shoppers used to be) has great prices on produce, Leesburg outlet mall for deals.

best dining- depends on what you're looking for. Chinese eat in-Cafe Opera in the Broadlands, chinese carry out- Yens Cafe near the Home Depot, pizza- Rubinos in Ashbrook, sushi-Tokyo in Ashburn Village, Mediteranean- Moby Dicks in Ashbrook, best family dinner- Original Steakhouse on Wednesdays (kids night) although the food is hit or miss. I could go on and on and on...

best date night venue- Melting Pot in Reston, Bonefish in Broadlands, Nagoya in Ashburn Farm (teppanyaki or, as my son calls it, "the sushi place with the fire")

best movie theater- Brambleton (Fox theaters?)

best place to spend time with kids- Air and Space Udvar Hazy (at Dulles), Reston Zoo or Leesburg Animal Park, Ashburn Ice House, any of the bounce house places

best indoor gym- Lifetime Fitness, although they are opening a Sport and Health in Brambleton in 6/10 so that may be as good or better.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,354,435 times
best park- Dinosaur. Love it. Kids love it. Fun for all ages.
best walking trails-I too am partial to the Farm. I can walk just about anywhere on our trails
best pool-Heard lifetime for a gym pool. (I belong to LA fitness which just has an indoor but it is fine) As far as HOA pools, I like the one by the Library (Breezyhill) and Windmills is nice. I like breezyhill better for little children
best high school/ elementary/ middle school-no experience yet as mine are young but one thing we liked about our current home is that Stone Bridge is our school (unless they do change the boundaries which will just make me furious since we are so close)
best shopping-Dulles Town Center is good. In terms of grocieries it is Wegmans hand down
best dining-depends what you are looking for. We like Ashburn Cafe in the village for cheesesteaks. We like China Taste for chinese. We like Ledo's for pizza. Clydes is nice for an adults night out. Red Robin is great for the kids
best date night venue-our couch
best movie theater-Brambleton
best place to spend time with kids-all the parks are good. Jumping Jack Sports, Loudoun Sports Bounce, My Little Gym, Broadlands HOA has a cute Nature Center, Ashburn Library
best indoor gym-again I have hear it is Lifetime, but that is just too expensive for us so we go to LA Fitness in the mall. Curves is also here in Ashburn
Edit to say: I just did Ashburn. There are many places outside of Ashburn that I love-especially for food!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
best date night venue-our couch
LOL, that's my favorite date night venue too--been there hundreds of times!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Oh yes! The bouncy places.. Totally forgot about those! We haven't tried them all but really like Loudoun Sports Bounce next to the post office in Ashburn. Some of the gymnastics places also have free play times, my son used to love those but unfortunately our schedule doesn't match with any free plays anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia