Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 PM

6 posts, read 9,737 times

Advertisements

My husband will be doing his residency at three different locations - Walter Reed in Silver Spring, MD, the Navy Hospital in Bethesda, MD, and at Fort Belvoir, VA. After looking at all of our options for buying a home within our budget as well as living within driving distance of all three locations, we are leaning toward living in Fairfax or Herndon, but desperately need some advice about the commute times and neighborhoods worth looking at as well as neighborhoods to stay away from. We need to stay within our budget of$395k or less for a 3bed/2.5bath home.

After reading several forums, it looks like commute for a 5AM drive won't be horrible, but what does afternoon and evening traffic look like from Silver Spring and Bethesda to Fairfax? To Herndon? To Countryside/Potomac Lakes?

We have young children and prefer a neighborhood that is very safe and very family-friendly with walking trails, or at least sidewalks, and parks/playgrounds (within walking distance if possible), etc.

Thanks for any help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
My first thought would be that Herndon and Fairfax are going to make all three commutes difficult. I'd probably think about whether I could find something reasonably convenient to Bethesda and Silver Spring, then just endure the time at Fort Belovoir, which depending on a lot of variables might not turn out to be all that much worse from MD than from Herndon...

Old 01-22-2010, 06:19 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
The commutes from Fairfax, Herndon, or Countryside would be terrible to all three places. Your best bet is Kensington, MD - lots of houses in your price range and really close to 2 of the 3 places.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Herndon is too far west in my opinion. Is he going to be at all three equally? I think I'd pick Falls Church near the beltway - fairly quick to Bethsda, not too horrible to Silver Spring, and mostly against traffic to Fort Belvoir.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone. When we first found out where we'd be going for residency, our immediate impulse was to find a place in Bethesda, Kensington, or even as far north as Olney. But after looking at the real estate options, it looks like if we want a home in our price range, that takes us out to either Gaithersburg or down to Northern Virgnia (Fairfax and Herndon). Any suggestions/input on how to get around this? The homes under $400k in Bethesda/Kensington are so old, small, and look like they need a lot of renovating. Am I wrong? We're open to any suggestions! Keep in mind we do have kids and so neighborhood is also a big deal to us, but we also can't go over our budget.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestudent View Post
The homes under $400k in Bethesda/Kensington are so old, small, and look like they need a lot of renovating. Am I wrong? We're open to any suggestions! Keep in mind we do have kids and so neighborhood is also a big deal to us, but we also can't go over our budget.
The general areas you are considering are among the most desirable in the DC area, because of their safety, strong schools, and commuting convenience. Most homes in these communities will cost well over $500K. If you want something under $400K, it's unfortunately going to be old, small, and in need of renovation. There aren't really any ways to get around it. Your alternatives are to consider a townhouse, renting instead of buying until your husband has completed his residency and you can afford a house in move-in condition in the neighborhood you want, or having your husband endure a long commute to a further-out location.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:16 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Traffic coming back to Virginia from Montgomery County was awful back when I did it - I can't imagine it's gotten better. The worst part was on the Maryland side of 495 just before River Rd. Getting over American Legion Bridge was ok, but luckily I got to exit at GW Parkway just before 495 turned into a parking lot. Traffic from GW Parkway to at least Rt 7 can be extremely slow.

If you lived in zip codes 22308 or 22309, you could get to Belvoir easily, and go to Maryland on the GW Parkway (slowest part is going through Old Town). To be within your budget, you'd be limited to a townhouse.

Or do the opposite: live in Maryland to be closer to 2 of the 3 places, then commute using GW Parkway to Belvoir.

Herndon would be about the worst choice location-wise.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Traffic coming back to Virginia from Montgomery County was awful back when I did it - I can't imagine it's gotten better. The worst part was on the Maryland side of 495 just before River Rd. Getting over American Legion Bridge was ok, but luckily I got to exit at GW Parkway just before 495 turned into a parking lot. Traffic from GW Parkway to at least Rt 7 can be extremely slow.

If you lived in zip codes 22308 or 22309, you could get to Belvoir easily, and go to Maryland on the GW Parkway (slowest part is going through Old Town). To be within your budget, you'd be limited to a townhouse.

Or do the opposite: live in Maryland to be closer to 2 of the 3 places, then commute using GW Parkway to Belvoir.

Herndon would be about the worst choice location-wise.

I'm curious, why would Herndon be the worst choice???

Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestudent View Post
I'm curious, why would Herndon be the worst choice???
I mean "worst" in terms of commuting, I'm not commenting on any other aspect than that.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Herndon is not near any of those three locations, and not centrally located for them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia