U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,483 times

Advertisements

I live near Glebe Rd and Columbia Pike, and have a new job near King St metro in Alexandria. Today I take the bus and/or metro into downtown, which is cheap and convenient, but is probably 45 mins door to door. I was hoping to cut down on my commute significantly by driving, but not sure what the traffic will be like. Is 20 mins out of the question? Also, is parking going to be as expensive as in DC? I am thinking about taking Walter Reed into Shirlington, across to Quaker Lane, and then either down King St or Duke St. Sound crazy during rush hour? Alternative is bus to Pentagon City, then metro. Any thoughts / experience / advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM

446 posts, read 1,486,628 times
Go to Metro - Home page and use the Trip Planner to look at the transit times. That will give you a good idea how long this trip will take by car.

If I needed to get from Glebe and Columbia to King Street Metro, I'd take Glebe Road to the 395 Shirlington interchange, get off at Quaker Lane and follow that to King Street and then follow it right to the train station. Not sure how long it would take, my guess would be 30 minutes in the height of rush hour.

Regarding parking in that area, I don't know monthly costs. I imagine they are high. You may want to take a drive over there and see how far away you'd have to park in the nearby Russell Road neighborhood to have free, unrestricted parking. Close-in street parking would be restricted, but if you are a good walker, you may find some parking with no time limits.

Good luck at the new job!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,123,043 times
Many of the residential areas in Alexandria have zoned parking. So if you don't have a parking sticker for that zone, you can park 2 or 3 hours max or else get a ticket. The neighborhoods are not meant to be parking lots for commuters. Rosemont isn't going to be a parking option - it's bounded by both King St and Braddock Rd Metro so it's unlikely there are unzoned parking spots.

I found info on some city parking garages. Some are for building tenants only.

Colonial Parking (http://www.ecolonial.com/location.pl?addr=Olde%20Town%20Alexandria - broken link)

Parking in Old Town | Recreation | City of Alexandria, VA

Since Glebe Rd often gets packed, whenever I've traveled from your location to Old Town I have taken Walter Reed to 4 Mile Run, through Shirlington and over 395 to Quaker. You could continue to Braddock, or to King, and take either into town. I don't know how long it would take. Google Maps says it's 4.92 miles using King St. There are other routes to shave a little time, but they go through residential (like Valley Dr between Quaker and Braddock).

Instead of taking Walter Reed, it's a little shorter taking Glebe to Shirlington Rd, then following the same route as above. That's shorter distance-wise, but if Walter Reed has less traffic - who knows?

I think you should ask at your office about parking options. Considering the extra cost driving will entail, I'd live with the longer bus ride and read a book

Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,235,208 times
It shouldn't be a bad drive during normal rush hours. There are multiple ways that you could go depending on how far into old town you have to go. If you work near the king st metro then taking quaker to king is a good option. Otherwise, you might want to stay on Glebe to Rt 1, or you could possibly take Columbia Pike to the GW parway, and take that all the way into old town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia