U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 62,999 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NOVA in June. I'm coming next week to meet with a realtor to see some houses. With our budget ($600K) and two elementary school kids and my husbands commute to Crystal City, one area that we are looking at is Burke and West Springfield.

My question - what is the commute like from those areas to Crystal City - would my husband take the VRE (he'd like to get to his office around 7:15 a.m. and depart around 6:30 p.m.)? Or is the metro better? Or is driving the best option?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM

446 posts, read 1,488,890 times
I guess if you are near the VRE, the VRE right to Crystal City would be best. Not sure how much it costs. I would avoid the driving option. If you did Metro, you'd take an express bus to the Pentagon and take the train two stops to Crystal City.

Check out the VRE website for detailed time information.

Burke and West Springfield have good schools overall. With your budget though, you may want to look at Vienna for fun as they have even better schools. Although the commute might be more time. Last but not least, check Arlington zips 22205 and 22207 just for fun as then you'd have a GREAT commute with great schools in a fun, unique place.

Good luck here in Northern Virginia!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,542,580 times
We live in a subdivision called Burke Station Square in Burke. My husband takes the VRE every day. It's right across the street from our subdivision. He just walks across the street unless it's raining or snowy. I think the station is "Rolling Road" although it isn't on Rolling Road.

VRE is much, much, much nicer than the Metro. There is a VRE stop right at Crystal City. (Metro isn't horrible. We use it all the time to get into D.C. But it can be a pain to find parking at the Metro Stations. And you have to deal with getting to the stations, switching trains, etc....) My husband loves the VRE. It's one of the reasons we chose to live in this neighborhood.

Schools are great in this area! Elementary School is King's Park (K-3) and King's Glen (4-6). Lake Braddock Secondary is 7-12. I have kids in the elementary and secondary schools. They are all excellent!

There are (were) a couple of houses for sale in our neighborhood. And there are some townhomes as well. I'm not sure if any of those are for sale or rent. We have a community center, pool, walking trails, .... We absolutely love it! This is the third time we've lived in the area.

Good Luck with the move! Let me know if I can help!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 PM

696 posts, read 1,499,172 times
I second mississippimagnolia. Sounds like we are in the same area. I'm in King's Park West and the VRE station is just down the street (5min drive). My husband takes the express bus from our neighborhood (leaves car in driveway) to Pentagon and then transfers to his final destination. There are a few houses in our neighborhood for sale as well (22032). Our youngest will be in kindy next year so we haven't started in the schools, but my initial research says yeah! Good luck!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,616,796 times
VRE would be much easier if you live close to a station and your husband's schedule is flexible (i.e., he'll work during regular business hours M-F). Parking is free and he'll get a seat on the train.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 62,999 times
Thanks for all the posts. I think the VRE will be a great option for my husband and Burke/West Springfield will be a great option for our family. I'm also looking at Vienna and Arlington and Southern Alexandria.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 PM

246 posts, read 1,215,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
We live in a subdivision called Burke Station Square in Burke. My husband takes the VRE every day. It's right across the street from our subdivision. He just walks across the street unless it's raining or snowy. I think the station is "Rolling Road" although it isn't on Rolling Road.

VRE is much, much, much nicer than the Metro. There is a VRE stop right at Crystal City. (Metro isn't horrible. We use it all the time to get into D.C. But it can be a pain to find parking at the Metro Stations. And you have to deal with getting to the stations, switching trains, etc....) My husband loves the VRE. It's one of the reasons we chose to live in this neighborhood.

Schools are great in this area! Elementary School is King's Park (K-3) and King's Glen (4-6). Lake Braddock Secondary is 7-12. I have kids in the elementary and secondary schools. They are all excellent!

There are (were) a couple of houses for sale in our neighborhood. And there are some townhomes as well. I'm not sure if any of those are for sale or rent. We have a community center, pool, walking trails, .... We absolutely love it! This is the third time we've lived in the area.

Good Luck with the move! Let me know if I can help!
Hows the noise given you live across from the VRE...do other trains use that line at all hours

Old 07-11-2010, 04:10 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,542,580 times
zotmeister,

I don't remember any noise from the trains. And we were within easy walking distance of the station. Maybe half a mile away at most. There are other trains that use the tracks. Maybe Amtrack? The only time I ever heard the trains was late in the afternoon when we were outside. And honestly, that's because I was listening for them. My husband's train got in around 6:15. When I heard the train whistle, I would start walking down to meet him.

We moved from Burke to Florida about two weeks ago. We'll likely end up back in the D.C. area again in a few years, and we'll immediately look for a house in Burke Square Station. I'm not crazy about the D.C. area in general. But we really liked our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia