Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times

Advertisements

Met with the investigator today. Keep in mind, the investigator doesn't give you an on the spot pass / fail decision. he / she takes notes and passes the info to someone else who makes the decision. The level I am going for is pub confidence which is a pretty low level. Most of the info we talked about was on the from I filled out however he did throw me a few questions which I was suprised about. For example, he asked me 'what was the reason my ex wife wanted a divorce' I understand he was looking for abuse or infidelity. I Kinda laughed a bit at that question, and he laughed a bit at my answer. He also wanted to know specific details about the 2x times I got arrested while in the Military even though both of these were more than 20yrs ago. He didn't care at all about my civilan bust from 1983. He also wanted to know if the cops have ever been at my house and if so he wanted details. In my case it was yes, I reported stolen property just so I could have the police report in
case I decided to file a homeowners insurance claim. Keep in mind the details that that he asked for are things that I could not possible still know but they understand that you are not going to remember a cop's name from a 25yr old dui. As far as finances go, they wanted to know if I was 6 months or more late on anything, if I had any major financial problems within the last 7yrs and if I was up to date on child support. They also want to know how you supported yourself during any employment gaps. He also asked about education gaps. I don't think any of the info will be 'used againt me' and I doubt that I will have any issues getting the clearance. My only advise is to not BS the investigator but keep your answers on point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 AM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
Met with the investigator today. Keep in mind, the investigator doesn't give you an on the spot pass / fail decision. he / she takes notes and passes the info to someone else who makes the decision. The level I am going for is pub confidence which is a pretty low level. Most of the info we talked about was on the from I filled out however he did throw me a few questions which I was suprised about. For example, he asked me 'what was the reason my ex wife wanted a divorce' I understand he was looking for abuse or infidelity. I Kinda laughed a bit at that question, and he laughed a bit at my answer. He also wanted to know specific details about the 2x times I got arrested while in the Military even though both of these were more than 20yrs ago. He didn't care at all about my civilan bust from 1983. He also wanted to know if the cops have ever been at my house and if so he wanted details. In my case it was yes, I reported stolen property just so I could have the police report in
case I decided to file a homeowners insurance claim. Keep in mind the details that that he asked for are things that I could not possible still know but they understand that you are not going to remember a cop's name from a 25yr old dui. As far as finances go, they wanted to know if I was 6 months or more late on anything, if I had any major financial problems within the last 7yrs and if I was up to date on child support. They also want to know how you supported yourself during any employment gaps. He also asked about education gaps. I don't think any of the info will be 'used againt me' and I doubt that I will have any issues getting the clearance. My only advise is to not BS the investigator but keep your answers on point.
It sounds to me you are fine. Indeed, the best thing is not to hide anything, and it's clear you were up front with the investigator. None of what you have written sounds like any problem since you admitted all of it. If you didn't admit it, and they found out about it (which they obviously would from some police records) that would be another story.

You are right - the interviewer is NOT the decision maker - they just pass on what they gleaned from the interview. It now goes to some other "in box" and may sit for a bit. But it sounds like you'll do fine, from my own experience and what I know of other people's experiences.

Almost no one has a perfectly clean boring record, and as long as it is nothing major and you admit to everything, and show you've got nothing you are hiding or are worried about and trying to hide, it seems like people do fine.

It is just ones who have really bad records, multiple credit issues, abuse issues (domestic violence), ongoing alchohol problems they have not ever sought any help for, and so on, that are the problem cases. Or, again, as others have said, anyone that hides something like a prior arrest, and then that is found out.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLivinNCities View Post
Definitely not a reason to not grant a security clearance. Smoking pot when you were a kid is as normal as being a kid and we see it and almost expect it on every young applicant we see.
Thanks so much, I'm sure a lot of people found this helpful. As for my friend... well guess what I passed this information on, and immediately got a whole new wave of excuses. "Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but....." I don't know why this guy is afraid to try for a job with a clearance, but whatever the reason I'm going to drop it. Besides, he'll be just fine--there are plenty of non clearance jobs too.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 AM

722 posts, read 1,980,757 times
This has been a very illuminating thread. I'm not working in a job where I need or have access to clearance, but living around here it is always a possibility for the future, and it is good to know about the process.

Can I ask a question for those of you with knowledge? My husband is Canadian. He's a Permanent Resident now and will be eligible for citizenship in a few years. What impact does a marriage like this have on clearance eligibility?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Can I ask a question for those of you with knowledge? My husband is Canadian. He's a Permanent Resident now and will be eligible for citizenship in a few years. What impact does a marriage like this have on clearance eligibility?
I'm no expert, but I doubt it would be an issue. My brother's college-age daughter went to Costa Rica for an internship and came back with a boyfriend. So he ended up with a Costa Rican kid living in the house with them for 2 years, and this kid wasn't even interested in citizenship. After the kid moved in, my brother got a TS--so I guess having a household member from another country isn't a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia