U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM

30,218 posts, read 67,358,468 times

Advertisements

It's foolish to judge an entire community in Northern Virginia as being "bad news" based upon hysteria, assumptions, and generalizations. Granted Annandale is a part of Fairfax County that has a negative reputation (along with unincorporated Falls Church, Seven Corners, parts of Springfield, and the Route 1 Corridor in the Alexandria section of the county), but even all of these areas DO have their redeeming qualities. Even the "well-off" areas have their slums---McLean, for example, is noted for being one of the most exclusive addresses in the entire metropolitan area where all of the rich and famous reside, and yet its haphazard downtown looks miserable, and its Tyson's Corner section, where I work, is a complete armpit by the account of many besides just myself.

I made the mistake when moving here of initially writing off Falls Church City as being undesirable based solely by my experience with Broad Street (Route 7) through the heart of town---surface parking lots, strip malls, shady-looking people, etc. However, when I explored some of the nearby residential neighborhoods the difference was like night and day as I marveled at well-kept homes, shade trees, and happy children riding bikes. Friends and I enjoy the State Theater and Elevation Burger. If it wasn't so expensive I was considering trying to find an apartment or condo there someday myself. Hard to think that a city I initially thought was a disaster due to its ugly downtown (that for seem reason they don't seem to want to revitalize) could also turn into a place that I LOVE to visit now!

Sterling is another example of this. I personally have had negative experiences with Sterling Park, but Normie, who lives in Sterling and loves Sterling Park, went trouncing around on a photo tour to try to prove to me and others that it was indeed a neighborhood worthy of consideration and wasn't as bleak as I had portrayed it as. Even Reston, where I live now, that is mostly upper-middle-class and college-educated, has its pockets of undesirables, generally south of the toll road. However, our new Apple Store has already been brazenly robbed thrice, and people continue to get mugged on the trails at night (hence why I still avocate for sidewalks to be built in Reston, but I digress).

You need to view NoVA on a NEIGHBORHOOD level---not on a community or even zip code level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's foolish to judge an entire community in Northern Virginia as being "bad news" based upon hysteria, assumptions, and generalizations. Granted Annandale is a part of Fairfax County that has a negative reputation (along with unincorporated Falls Church, Seven Corners, parts of Springfield, and the Route 1 Corridor in the Alexandria section of the county), but even all of these areas DO have their redeeming qualities. Even the "well-off" areas have their slums---McLean, for example, is noted for being one of the most exclusive addresses in the entire metropolitan area where all of the rich and famous reside, and yet its haphazard downtown looks miserable, and its Tyson's Corner section, where I work, is a complete armpit by the account of many besides just myself.
I wouldn't even agree that Annandale or the unincorporated parts of Falls Church, for example, generally have bad reputations. There may be some people who feel that way, but quite honestly they are misinformed and their views shouldn't be portrayed as reflecting some broader consensus. Moreover, there are no "slums" in McLean or Tysons, or anything close, even if their poorly planned "downtowns" don't really deserve that title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You need to view NoVA on a NEIGHBORHOOD level---not on a community or even zip code level.
That's very true, although some zip codes are a bit more uniform in the composition of their neighborhoods than others.

Last edited by JD984; 01-29-2010 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia