U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM

123 posts, read 360,902 times

Advertisements

I know that Fairfax County is often talked about as being the best nationwide for schools but how does Prince William County Public Elementary compare as far as being good schools? Are they planning to build more elem. schools in PWC? Also, I've seen posts on here that parents are not happy with the gifted programs offered at PWC elementary schools. How do Fairfax County schools differ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,018,313 times
in my research when I found out I was moving to the NoVA area, the Price William county schools were not as well regarded as Fairfax and Loudoun. I think there are still some good schools in parts of the county, but overall, it is not regarded as being of the same level as Fairfax. Just what I heard though, no first hand exp here

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM

123 posts, read 360,902 times
arielmina - would you be able to elaborate? Where would the "good" schools in PWC be or do you know why PWC are as well regarded? Thnx!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,018,313 times
unfortunately I do not have any additional info. We basically decided early on that overall the PWC schools weren't as good as Fairfax and Loudoun so we focused out home search in Loudoun. It was basically word of mouth and using Greatschools.net which helped us determine where to avoid and where the better schools were.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,534,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
in my research when I found out I was moving to the NoVA area, the Price William county schools were not as well regarded as Fairfax and Loudoun. I think there are still some good schools in parts of the county, but overall, it is not regarded as being of the same level as Fairfax. Just what I heard though, no first hand exp here
I agree with this. On average, I would consider Fairfax schools to be better than Prince William schools.

We were pleased with the education our kids received in Prince William County pubic schools, but that was quite a few years ago - our youngest just turned 29. So my first-hand experience is a bit dated.

Although it's only one measure of high schools in the Washington area, this might help: 2010 Challenge Index | washingtonpost.com

As you can see, various Fairfax schools are listed before the first one is listed from Prince William, but there are some Prince William high schools listed above some Fairfax high schools.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
It is just my personal opinion that the PWC schools, at the elementary level, offer a curriculum that is on par with Fairfax. The difference is that Prince Williams is MUCH more economically diverse than Fairfax or Loudoun. Disadvantaged children don't test as well, even if they are provided the same learning environment as in Fairfax. I'm pretty sure that if the economically disadvantage students all swooped into the Fairfax system, their test scores would show it.

It then comes down to which environment you want your child in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia