Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times

Advertisements

I've been meaning to do my first photo tour (ScranBarre-style) of the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor of Arlington, and I finally got a new digital camera to replace my 10 year old one - which looked more like an original nintendo gameboy...

So it's on! But before I venture out this coming weekend, I'd like to know...
  • For those familiar w/ that area of Arlington, are there any specific landmarks/restaurants/places of interest that you'd like me to include?

• Are you interested in seeing photos of different styles of housing (i.e. high-rise apt, low-rise apt, SFH) as well, or should I focus more on public places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
For those familiar w/ that area of Arlington, are there any specific landmarks/restaurants/places of interest that you'd like me to include?
- The crazy metal sculpture that indicates how traffic flows in Rosslyn (at the intersection of Clarendon, Wilson, and some other streets)
- The Rhodeside, Whitlow's, Clarendon Ballroom, Four Courts

Almost everything else is gone from when I hung out over there in the late 90s - Bardo, the 7-11 - replaced by condos, condos, condos.

Definitely do residential - we all know what Barnes and Noble and the Cheesecake Factory look like.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Personally, I like seeing different kinds of houses as well as shots of public spaces. Also, photos that give a taste of what it's like to live there--maybe a shot of traffic, cars parked along a street, street lights, people walking to a local cafe, sidewalks, flyers for local bands on a telephone pole--those sorts of details.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
What would I like to see?

-Each of the neighborhood map signs photographed (i.e. the ones from the "Arlington Rap" video on YouTube)
-The Silver Diner
-That church that's getting apartments built on top of it.
-A photo of part of the Key Bridge and/or Georgetown as seen from Rosslyn.
-Ray's Hell Burger (if it's in the area). I've never been there and have always wanted to try.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:48 PM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
You definitely have to take photos of the following (my list is more Rosslyn-centric than Ballston-centric, as it's where I live):

- The gas station with a church above it in Rosslyn
- Colonial Village, to show that Arlington still has attractive, low-rise residential areas
- The strip mall with Ray's/Guajillo/Pho 75/an ABC store (i.e. the best strip mall in VA)
- The courthouse, to demonstrate that Arlington is in fact a real county
- Galaxy Hut, Iota, or a similar, "old-school" joint in Clarendon
- The Iwo Jima Memorial
- Chez Manelle or Cafe Assorti, the DC area's only restaurants with Tunisian/Kazakh food, respectively
- At least four Starbucks

Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I've been meaning to do my first photo tour (ScranBarre-style) of the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor of Arlington, and I finally got a new digital camera to replace my 10 year old one - which looked more like an original nintendo gameboy...

So it's on! But before I venture out this coming weekend, I'd like to know...
  • For those familiar w/ that area of Arlington, are there any specific landmarks/restaurants/places of interest that you'd like me to include?

• Are you interested in seeing photos of different styles of housing (i.e. high-rise apt, low-rise apt, SFH) as well, or should I focus more on public places?
Take a photo from the Mall skybridge over Wilson Blvd.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'd like to see what they did with the old Newseum.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Please take a photo of Wellburn Square -- that's a great park/public space right near the Ballston Metro station (and they have a farmers' market there on Fridays during the summer).

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
Great to hear all of your ideas so far -- keep 'em coming!

Also, ScranB, where is the church is it that has apartments being built on top of it? I've seen the church in Rosslyn that has a gas station underneath it (no joke), but I can't think of where this church+apartment building is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia