U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,791,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I just let it go and quietly roll my eyes and whisper under my breath, "Well, la dee, dah!"
LOL, that's so funny--that's exactly what I do. I thought I was the only one in the world who still said la de dah! You just made my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 PM

49 posts, read 99,608 times
Quote:
And this is why you're moving here?

Just kidding.
Ha! Thats exactly why!

Of course I realize big box retail and shopping malls are a dime a dozen any where you go. I just didn't know exactly what you meant by lack of retail. I suppose its something you get a feel for when living there.

What I mean when I refer to shopping and restaurants being "better" has no relation to per capita ratios of what other large cities or even specific neighborhoods with in a city have. I think KC does pretty good in its local economy, culinary, shopping, diversity and overall culture for its isolation and size. Its more to do with DC/Baltimore as a metro area/region. There is simply a certain caliber of designer shopping and culinary offerings (whether a chain or not) that regions with high population, density and diversity can offer that smaller more isolated ones can offer.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 PM

845 posts, read 2,068,657 times
I've heard KC is cool, or maybe I should say "coo-ul" but how does one put up with that aggrevating "twang." And I though listening to the Hispanics rattle at 300 words per minute was pretty bad.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:18 AM

1,273 posts, read 3,932,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
All true, except the liberal attitude part, or do you mean socially liberal? You have to around here because of the competition, Either dominant or be dominated.

I know plenty of Republicans.
Northern Virginia, while trending Democratic, still remains the top choice of Republicans moving to the DC area. McLean is nicknamed 'GOPtopia'. If you are looking for liberal I would suggest Montgomery County, Maryland but there are GOP folks there too.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM

116 posts, read 385,831 times
I would just be very discerning and do a lot of research related to the schools. It seemed to me when I recently moved that the schools can vary quite a bit even when they are geographically quite close to each other. I know a lot of people on this forum say all the schools in the area are good even if some are better than others, etc. But I wanted to find the very best school possible, and it takes a lot of research to figure that out.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,403,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
I've heard KC is cool, or maybe I should say "coo-ul" but how does one put up with that aggrevating "twang." And I though listening to the Hispanics rattle at 300 words per minute was pretty bad.
adolpho, KC's actually in the sort of Standard American 'broadcaster' English belt that starts more-or-less in Kansas and goes all the way to the Pacific. If you want a Southern 'twang' near KC, though, you'll find it big time as soon as you head out of KCMO and out into greater Missouri.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM

845 posts, read 2,068,657 times
They're twanging pretty hard in Grandview and Lees Summit which is probably about as far from the city as Duke St. is to DC.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 PM

49 posts, read 99,608 times
Yeah there are certian areas that more southern speaking people seem to reside (all pretty much in MO), but over all a large majority speak as Alicia says Standard American.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,403,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
They're twanging pretty hard in Grandview and Lees Summit which is probably about as far from the city as Duke St. is to DC.
Yup... they're Missouri people. Basically, once you're out as far as , say, Harrisonville, it's hard to find someone who *doesn't* have a Southern 'twang.'

But, as datbird says, running into someone with even a hint of a Southern accent in most of KC (particularly the KS side, but the closer in MO suburbs, as well) is pretty statistically unlikely.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,463,481 times
Every time I visited KC, I noticed how much more friendly the people were there. While you might have more "educated, liberal, etc" people here, they're usually always the "I was too good for where I'm from, so I'm doing to DC!".. I'm one of the few natives around here, and I think the DC area serves a purpose, to collect the nasty people from other areas, leaving the more pleasant people behind... I hope you are one of the exceptions.... But if you are into unfriendly and snobby, then NoVa will be great for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia