U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
vsn vsn started this thread

12 posts, read 28,358 times

Advertisements

This forum has been so great and helpful. Thanks for all your suggestions about my earlier questions. We moved from NJ late last year to this area. After heeding to all the advice on this forum we decided to rent in Reston ( my husband works in Reston and I work in Tysons) while we look for a SFH in the area.

Now we have narrowed the home search down to two new builders -miller and smith and pulte in brambleton. Does anyone know about any complaints or issues with these builders? How is the HOA, neighborhood, elem schools etc? I found it weird that the Pulte kids go to Creighton's Corner while the M&S kids go to Legacy ( while Creighton's is right next door to the M&S development)? Are they going to change the school boundaries next yr?

Since loudoun county has only half a day kindergarten what are the other day care options in the area? What do people generally do for the rest of the day? I already checked the day care on Creighton Rd, turned out to be very expensive. My older one will be in 2nd grade next yr. So he will be going to CASA. How does CASA compare to SACC in Fairfax county? I really like the SACC center in his school now.

Thanks again to all the folks who posted community pictures. They did an excellent job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,637,771 times
I have lived in Brambleton for 6+ years (and I did the photo tour!), so I'll take a stab at your question. I live in a Centex single family home. Pulte bought Centex; we've been very happy with our home, but I don't know how different the Pulte process is. I have lots of friends who live in Miller and Smith townhomes and single family homes, and I know someone who works for M&S. They build very nicely designed homes, and the complaints I've heard about them tend to be subcontractor-related issues (for example - almost everyone I know in a Phase I single-family home has had to have their trim repainted already because the primer wasn't done correctly - but I haven't heard the same complaint from the townhouse residents). But that's how it is with all the builders - you just have to stay on top of things during construction and make sure you hire your own inspector to do pre-drywall and pre-closing inspections, and take full advantage of your warranty period.

The HOA and neighborhood are awesome. We are very happy living here and have made some good friends. There are great activities and events throughout the year, targeting all types of residents (families with kids, adults-only, teens, etc). The HOA fee may seem high but a lot is included, including Verizon FIOS (we were a test community for the product) TV and Internet. The town center is cool and will only get better as it's built out. It's wonderful to live in a friendly, walkable community.

School boundaries in eastern Loudoun are always in flux. Currently, everyone in Brambleton south of Creighton Road attends Creighton's Corner (here are the current boundary maps - Creighton's Corner (http://cmsweb1.loudoun.k12.va.us/509905169119/lib/509905169119/ES_Zones/CreightonsCornerES.pdf - broken link) | Legacy (http://cmsweb1.loudoun.k12.va.us/509905169119/lib/509905169119/ES_Zones/LegacyES.pdf - broken link)) Almost every year, the issue comes up where Legacy is overcrowded and they try to send the kids west of Belmont Ridge to Creighton's Corner - and every time (so far) that's been scrapped because Phase I fights tooth and nail to stay at Legacy. I don't know anyone whose kids go to Creighton's Corner, so I can't compare.

Daycare - some of the places that pick-up in Brambleton are Golden Pond, Tiger Den, C3-Cyber Club, Bean Tree, Minnieland - I'm sure there are others. Many of these have "kindergarten enrichment" because of Loudoun's half-day structure. Some people send their kids to private full-day kindergarten.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
vsn vsn started this thread

12 posts, read 28,358 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will check the school on the day care.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,359,933 times
I have a Pulte home and have been very happy with it. I am not in Brambleton but am in Ashburn.
CD is correct-you just have to stay on top of the contractors when building a home. We built a NV Home in Philly and LOTS of corners were cut and I only wish I would have checked on them more. I did A LOT of complaining and some things did get fixed. Sub contractors can just get sloppy after house, after house, after house.
Good luck!
Oh, and I know there are several places that do after school care. For example, Kindercare will pick up your kids from AM Kinder and take them back to their center for the rest of the day. Don't know what the cost is, but I LOVE the Kindercare on Waxpool Rd in Ashburn. The director runs a tight ship. (My kids do full time daycare there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia