U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-28-2010, 06:31 AM

125 posts, read 229,579 times
Default Best place to make household donations???

Can anyone suggest an organization for me to donate household items? We are unpacking boxes from our move and I have items I've had packed away in boxes since last May. I haven't missed them. I'd like to donate them to a place that distributes them to families who might need them -whether it goes to local folks or in Haiti-

Most of the items are kitchen-bowls, plates, utensils, etc.

We had organizations that would accept these items in NY and give them to women starting out on their own, families in financial distress, etc.

Any suggestions are welcome...I know places are out there but looking for the ones you may have dealt with in the past. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:04 AM

18,620 posts, read 12,747,615 times
You're in Loudoun, right? There's a Salvation Army at 10 Cardinal Park Drive Southeast. I've donated a lot of big items such as furniture there. It's a very easy drop off point, and easy to get slips for your tax write off, too.

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:07 AM

18,620 posts, read 12,747,615 times
Habitat for Humanity Restore has a few locations around Nova. Your items need to be in nearly new condition, though. (Salvation Army will refurbish worn items, but I believe Habitat simply puts them out in the store.) Habitat is the best place to drop off extra building materials you don't need.

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:48 AM

2,689 posts, read 1,505,295 times
Salvation Army is a good place from my experience. They might not get to Haiti though, but it will be donated for a good cause anyway.

Unread 01-28-2010, 09:32 AM

36 posts, read 46,577 times
I would suggest the women's shelter in Fairfax/Burke. They always need help but of course can't advertise too much.

Or, if you are up for it, may I suggest FreeCycle. It is a yahoo group that is specific to your area. I am completely addicted! You post what you have and don't want, you get a list of emails from people that would like to have it, pick someone and they come get it! So simple you barely have to leave the sofa! I have gotten so much great stuff from here! I have a tight budget (like everyone else) but have recently had to take in my disabled mother as well and FreeCycle has been a God Send in getting me the things I need for her.

Best of Luck.

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:34 PM

286 posts, read 264,719 times
If you like animals, how about Humane Society Thrift Shop on Chain Bridge Road...
Here are more suggestions kind of by types of items:
Who accepts cars, computers, etc

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:38 PM

515 posts, read 955,635 times
The Lupus Foundation and Vietnam Veterans of America both pick up regularly. I use both.

www.vvapickup.org

http://www.lupuspickup.org/

Unread 01-30-2010, 06:09 PM

125 posts, read 229,579 times
GREAT suggestions everyone! thanks for this and after unpacking about 2 dozen boxes over the last few days (with lots more to go) I think I could probably share the wealth.

Unread 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,819,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You're in Loudoun, right? There's a Salvation Army at 10 Cardinal Park Drive Southeast. I've donated a lot of big items such as furniture there. It's a very easy drop off point, and easy to get slips for your tax write off, too.
Great idea! What town is that? I have lots of clothes, shoes, and household things. Thanks!

Unread 01-31-2010, 06:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 16,371,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Great idea! What town is that? I have lots of clothes, shoes, and household things. Thanks!
That's the eastern part of Leesburg. Near the Toyota dealership off 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia