U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,336 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to NOVA so that I can accept a new job in Herndon. We are looking for information on potential places to find affordable housing. Unfortunately, we need to buy a newly constructed (or never lived in) home due to some serious allergy problems. Our budget is up to $400K for a home and I don't mind driving up to an hour to my Job. Any suggestions on home locations is greatly appreciated. Also how much would you estimate property taxes on a $400K home to be?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Welcome to Northern Virginia. Looking for a newly constructed home under $400,000 might be a challenge. But since you're willing to commute, maybe out by South Riding? There are a few realtors on this forum, so I'm sure one or two of them will have suggestions for you. It might take a day or so for them to see your thread.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
Caladium, you don't think they could find something in Sterling/Ashburn/Leesburg?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Caladium, you don't think they could find something in Sterling/Ashburn/Leesburg?
I think the challenge is that it has to be a brand new house. If a townhouse is ok, you might find some. Sterling doesn't have that much brand new construction anymore. Leesburg has new construction, but a lot of it's pricey. We had some brand new townhouses down the street in Lowes Island, but they were deluxe. The starting price was in the 700's. And I think they're sold out, anyway.

Ashburn might be your best bet. Brambleton has a lot of new construction, maybe they have some townhouses in your price range?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,633 times
I am in Round Hill out in Western Loudoun county and there is a house/lot for sale in my neighborhood for $439K (built)....not quite "under" $400, but as close as you're gonna get. My husband commutes to Herndon 3x a week and it takes him about 35-45 minutes one way, taking the Dulles Greenway. Sometimes I takes longer if there is an accident or just horrible traffic in Leesburg, but otherwise, it's not bad at all.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,355,109 times
Depends on what you mean by home...townhome, condo, single family...
I am in Ashburn and Toll Brothers was selling a small townhome in the 200's. Very small.
I think you could find a larger townhome in Brambleton for $400K
As for singles...I would think you would have to go further out like Hamilton or Round Hill or further. DM me if you want me to put you in touch with a good realtor. (full disclosure: I am studying to be a realtor but AM NOT one yet. But I do have some good contacts)
Good luck! You are lucky that Herndon is where your job is at...gives you a lot more options than say Vienna in terms of housing in that price point.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM

http://www.ryanhomes.com/West_Riding...420030226.html
South Riding

Centex Homes - Community
these are being built right above me.
Centex Homes - Community
some condos in Brambleton
Brambleton | Virginia / Washington D.C. New Homes For Sale | Beazer Homes
brambleton
Brambleton
Brambleton-these townhomes in your price are about 2200sqft...

http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/V...burg/new-homes
Round Hill singles
http://www.nvhomes.com/Courtland_Rural_Village_Singles_9714120060825.html (broken link)
Leesburg...says $420K for a single but you may be able to get it at $400K

Old 01-28-2010, 02:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm not a realtor, so someone like Margery or twinmma would know more than me. I think new construction is going to be more than $400,000. But there might be some bargains out there and also, I could be wrong.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 PM

I bought new construction back in PA here is basically the price thing:

If they say the price is $279K (for example) then the price is $279K. (plus some fees and such) But that is for the BASICS. In this example it was oak cabinets, formica countertops, cheap carpet, etc.

In the case of the OP I think they could find a new home for that price and maybe a few upgrades, but not many. BUT if they can't make any upgrades, they can do so over time. For us we got a lot of upgrades:
fireplace $5K
Hardwoods $6K
Tile $3K
Countertops $3K
lights $1K (just for over the fireplace!)
Cabinets (can't remember what we paid for this upgrade)
wetbar $5K
So our base was $279K
We paid $306K with the upgrades BUT since we had bought a NV Home before they gave us a free $5K upgrade=the wetbar.
Because we used their financing we got an additional $25K free in upgrades...
So you can see how that goes. It just depends on the builder.

My friend in Philly bought about 3-4 years ago a new construction-basics. They paid $400K. This past year our other friend bought the same model in the same development with granite and everthing else for $375K...reflection of the market.

I only wish we would have done new construction here. It's my fault...I didn't want to go through the process again since we had just done it not a year earlier. (We were only living in our new construction home 6 months when we had to move due to transfer for work!) Plus I had kids and it just seemed a hassle again. BUT I wish I would have just put up with it for 6 months...Now since we bought an older home we are constantly replacing things...it would have been less hassle and less money to do the new construction, lol! Live and learn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia