Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:39 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,712,323 times

Advertisements

I have a friend visiting me for a weekend in August. I'm moving up there in June so I am not familiar with the area at all yet. We're both some young twenty somethings and while we are social drinkers, we're not huge into the clubbing/bar scene. Other than the typical museums and galleries, what other things can people do in NoVA/DC for fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 11:46 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,775,683 times
The Smithsonian in DC is a nice place.

Northern Virginia isnt quite as refined or cultured as places like Richmond or Charlottesville, though, so unless you're big on vinyl siding, the Washington Redskins, or livin' in the burbs, there isnt a whole lot to do. But I would say visit some of the historical places if you like history

Mount Vernon is nice. Oatlands Plantation near Leesburg. Some of the area battlefields.

If you like live music, you could catch a show at the Birchmere in Alexandria.

You won't find much good 'ol Southern hospitality because most everyone there is from some place other than Virginia.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 AM

261 posts, read 1,662,702 times
Maybe look to see if any festivals/etc are running that weekend in any local towns. Make sure you visit any unusual museums (like Spy Museum or Newseum) and/or special exhibits at the usual museums (assuming they are of interest). Other possibilities include concerts/events at places like Wolf Trap or plays/musicals at places like The Kennedy Center or Ford's Theater.

August will most likely be very hot and uncomfortable so I'd pick stuff that was either inside or later in the evening.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:40 AM

267 posts, read 1,670,234 times
There are a lot of wineries in Loudoun County which makes for a great day if you pace yourself. Middleburg is a great place to start. It's a historic town with wineries, shopping(antiques/gifts) and restaurants. The Udvar-Hazy center is near Dulles Airport, right of rt 28, just north of rt 50 and for $12/car you can spend a few hours there if you like flight/space.

There is also Georgetown for a break for lunch if you are downtown at the museums in DC. Also, don't let the heat and humidity stop you. It doesn't stop us or most people in this area. There are free concerts in DC certain nights of the week performed by military bands. I suggest checking sites for each county in the area and see what's on their calendars.

VASINGER, what exactly do you consider "cultured" or "refined"? Richmond is and NOVA isn't? "Vinyl Siding" HUH? Your statement is a bit elitist. There is a lot of history in NOVA and plenty of things to do. There is also local and dinner theater as well as a variety of festivals, concerts, etc. You must be from Central VA.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:55 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,888,231 times
You can spend the day in Annapolis, which is just about an hour from DC.
If you are hard-core shoppers, you can spend the day at Tyson's Corner, which has two large malls, including the high-end Tyson's II.
You can rent kayaks and explore the Potomac River.
You can rent bikes and ride on the C&O Canal, or out on the W&OD trail. You can also ride down to Mount Vernon and back. At Gravelley Point, near the end of the runway at National Airport, you can stop and watch the planes land and take off right over your head.
Great Falls National Park has great hiking trails, on both the Virginia and Maryland side. The Virginia side has several overlooks with fabulous views, and the Maryland side has the Billy Goat Trail over the rocks.
The Smithsonian museums close around 5, but the monuments are open in the evenings, which is the best time to see them. It's not as hot, and they are much more impressive when lit up at night.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:35 PM

34 posts, read 119,490 times
Default Ideas?

I agree that the heat and humidity can be horrible.

On Friday evenings in the summer there are concerts by the sculpture garden by the Smithsonian - I believe there is a wine bar.
If you like the outdoors I think Great Falls and hiking by the Canal are really special.
In Old Town there is the Torpedo Factory and I agree that the Birchmere is a good venue for music (and/or comedy).
I am a bit older than you, but some of the (20's-30's) people I play wallyball with like the Shirlington area for shows, restaurants, bars.
Of course, Georgetown has lots to see and places to go.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 PM

53 posts, read 370,260 times
We spent a week in NoVa and enjoyed an evening in Leesburg. Mount Vernon was great to visit and have dinner at the Mt Vernon Inn. We really enjoyed crabcakes in Alexandria too. I guess we ate a lot. In DC Georgetown looked like a lot of college-type fun. The embassy suites had a beautiful atrium was a neat place to stay. One thing we did that was fun was take the Amtrak to New York for the day. It's about a 3-hour trip but it was inexpensive and very cool. So much to pack in for a weekend though. Have fun whatever you do.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:01 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,839,466 times
check out Wolf trap and see what concerts are going on.
Bramelton Country club has concerts
Antiquing in Leesburg and Lucketts and wine tasting along the way.
Old towne Alexandria, Georgetowne, the zoo etc...

Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 PM

566 posts, read 2,975,237 times
I don't know if they still do them, but Old Town Alexandria used to have ghost tours that you could take. You might also head out to Front Royal and take a drive up to Skyline Drive, go canoeing, explore Luray Caverns or go hiking.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 PM

58 posts, read 243,433 times
The huge Maryland Renaissance Festival starts in late August. May be too late for your friend's visit, but definitely a fun day out. One of the best I've been to in the country. Maryland Renaissance Festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia