U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM

480 posts, read 807,146 times

Advertisements

I finally got my VA drivers license. It only took 3 trips, a $50 payment to NC and 2 weeks. The sad thing is that I barely got out of there with it today. Since I still haven't started work yet, I figured I will try one more time to get a VA dl. I called NC to make sure they took the hold off. I then went to the DMV web site to look at the wait time. Per the web site, the wait was 3 minutes. I then jumped in the car and 15min later I was sitting at the Franconia DMV with a number in my hand. The 3 minutes turned out to be an hour and I finally got called to the window. The clerk verifies my lease, a W2 (to verify SS), my Ga. license and my passport. I pass the eye test, get my picture taken, hand t he guy $32 and presto, he gives me a piece of paper with a temp license. I was just about to sign it and then I noticed that he forgot to put my MC endorsement on it. This of course costs me another $16 and then the computer system decides to crash. This means that he can't cancel the temp license he already gave me and print a new one. Finally after watching him hit the esc key for 30 min straight, it finally lets him kill the old one and print a new one. Total time in the DMV, 1h 45m. Not bad for a 3 min wait time!! I felt so lucky that I decided to drive to Charles Town and I won $200. Kinda like giving someone the first hit for free!!!!! Hopefully they will let me start work tomorrow. Apparently my paperwork is between office A and office B. Love the Gov't efficiency!!! (both Fed and state!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,110,553 times
Sounds like you're partly to blame for the complications.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM

480 posts, read 807,146 times
Actually, only very little. I got a $65 in 1992 and paid the fine on time. After a few months NC sennt me a letter saying they have a new $5 processing fee they wanted me to pay. I told them I paid the stated fine and thats all they are going to get. In 96 when I went to renew my Ga licenses, I was told to pay NC $5 which I did. After that I was told it was cleared. I renewed my Ga license 3x since then without a problem. Didn't hear anything else about it till I got here. However, thanks for your input. The purpose of this thread is to give newcomers a heads up with various DMV issues.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:17 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,543,799 times
The DMV is full of absolute idiots. Incompetency at its very best. I think when they hire, they must take the people that they know could never hold jobs anywhere else and put the at the DMV. It's like a community service project. At least if they are working at the DMV, they are working somewhere.

I've never said that about any organization anywhere in my life. But truly the folks at the Springfield DMV offices are just amazingly incompetent. There is no way it is a coincidence. It has to be some kind of social service hiring thing.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,110,553 times
Lived here 20 years and never had a problem with them. I think they do a good job. I was a little perturbed that they closed the drive up window at the Alexandria locatiion. However, being able to do most everything on-line now makes up for it.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,838,249 times
Congratulations!

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time, and glad to hear you've finally succeeded. FWIW, I've never had a problem with the DMV, nor have my kids or grandkids. I don't know if location makes a difference, but we use the Sterling DMV.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,543,799 times
I have lived all over country and overseas. Never had a problem with a DMV. Never really understood the DMV jokes...until we moved here.

Seriously, it seems like everyone I meet has a horror story. The lady in line behind me at the DMV...a cute 70 year old grandmother....was arrested and charged with making a terrorist threat on a federal building...because she told one of the DMV workers that she understood why folks go nuts and start shooting at the DMV. The SWAT team came to her house during her grandson's graduation party and took her away in cuffs!

She shouldn't have said what she did...but the DMV lady told the police that she said she was going to shoot her. Charges were dropped when 11 people who were there testified that the DMV lady was lying.

That's one of about 15 horror stories I heard while standing in line last month.

It took me FIVE trips to get my car registered. FIVE! I've never had a problem registering a car anywhere but here, Ever. In my too many years of registering cars. Every person I talked to gave me a different story. I had the list of required documents. Who knew my MARRIED name should have been on my birth certificate? And if you're wondering, no you don't need your birth cerficiate to register your car. I was told I needed it by one person. Then told I didn't need it by the next.

Insanity. Fairfax won't be getting any more money from me for my car. When it expires, I'm driving to Mississippi to renew. If I get a ticket, I get a ticket. We did the two year registration. Hopefully, we'll be long gone before we have to renew anyway.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 AM

61 posts, read 139,382 times
What's worse than dealing the DMV? I would imagine having to work at the DMV. Have you seen some of the folks in line? Whenever possible, try to do what you can via mail or online....same with banking these days.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,629,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Congratulations!

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time, and glad to hear you've finally succeeded. FWIW, I've never had a problem with the DMV, nor have my kids or grandkids. I don't know if location makes a difference, but we use the Sterling DMV.
I have never had a problem with the Sterling DMV either, courteous and efficient everytime I have been there.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,903,970 times
I've never had any problem at DMV ever, and that's a long time. HOWEVER, I always show up prepared and never try to talk the clerk into altering the law or DMV policies to fit my needs. They can't do it anyway.

It's a horrible, low paid, and thankless job that the vast majority of us wouldn't even consider taking...so DMV hires about anybody they can get. I have a friend that used to be a higher up at DMV and he told me that very often, a new DMV hiree, on their first day, they work the morning, then go to lunch, and are never seen again! LOL

And the sweet, little old lady talking about people shooting up DMV is a flat out moron. You don't say that sort of thing out loud in this day and age to strangers...especially those for whom English is not their native language (most DMV employees). You don't how in the heck they're going interpret your "little joke" about shooting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia