Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
Great Oaks is the contemporary subdivision, right? I think President Ford's daughter used to live there.
Wonder if she still lives there? She'd be a fun person to have as a neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times
Thanks for the feedback and well-wishes, everyone! themommy - Great Oaks is on the north side of Old Lee Hwy., right on the eastern edge of FFX City. Oh, and Caladium - Susan Ford is living in New Mexico these days, not Fairfax (I had to look that up after g3org3 mentioned it - fascinating!).

*sigh* Yesterday evening I sipped Cointreau and listened to "Rise" by Herb Alpert, imagining my future little slice of (deeply-wooded!) 1970s paradise. I will live in a historic home in NoVA, dammit.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,061 times
Oh my gravy. I looked it up online and found photos of some of the homes. They're fabulous! I didn't know there were any well-preserved 70s moderns out there. I can hardly wait for you to find the one that's yours so we can hear all about it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM

I can't wait to see your photos of this neighborhood, Alicia. I'm really enjoying your posts about this community and watching you find a place that suits you. It's a good feeling, isn't it?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM

84 posts, read 287,825 times
Welcome to "The City".. We grew up in the county and happened on a starter home in "The City" over thirty years ago.. when we moved up to a larger house it had to be in "The City" also. Haven't moved to a smaller home because we don't want to leave.. BTW.. When a local can't place your neighborhood (and it is a very nice one) tell them there the new houses across from the Country Club..

Old 02-18-2010, 06:44 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Thanks for the feedback and well-wishes, everyone! themommy - Great Oaks is on the north side of Old Lee Hwy., right on the eastern edge of FFX City. Oh, and Caladium - Susan Ford is living in New Mexico these days, not Fairfax (I had to look that up after g3org3 mentioned it - fascinating!).

*sigh* Yesterday evening I sipped Cointreau and listened to "Rise" by Herb Alpert, imagining my future little slice of (deeply-wooded!) 1970s paradise. I will live in a historic home in NoVA, dammit.
Good to see you're getting into that 70s spirit. We'll all plan to come over for fondue in a few months - do we bring cheese or chocolate!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I was in a house there a few times when a friend lived in the community, and I always expected to stumble upon a "conversation pit" on the lower level, and didn't understand why they did not channel their inner 70s personae for a wood-paneled station wagon in the garage.

It's a nice community and a good location, though the grounds in common might be a turn-off for some, but the benefit is that you don't have to hire your own landscaper.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Good to see you're getting into that 70s spirit. We'll all plan to come over for fondue in a few months - do we bring cheese or chocolate!
LOL! And we can all sit on harvest gold and avocado chairs.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
LOL! And we can all sit on harvest gold and avocado chairs.
Yes YES! Oh, you could have some fun throwing some "superbad" 70s-theme parties. Dacquiris and drinks with silly names and neon colors. And maybe even funny brownies, wink wink. Be sure to look for a house that still has the harvest gold refrigerator!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia