Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,652,426 times

Advertisements

I question the wisdom of letting one's employer know that one is having mental/substance abuse/etc problems....it just seems like it could come back to bite you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 AM

509 posts, read 972,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I question the wisdom of letting one's employer know that one is having mental/substance abuse/etc problems....it just seems like it could come back to bite you.
The EAP program is very confidential, at least it was at my employer back in the 90's. It is administered by an outside health company, so you aren't telling your employer your problems. You can view it as going to a healthcare provider just like a doctor or psychiatrist or psychologist, under normal health plan. However, this is free, and when I did it in the 90's, only gives you 5 appointments. Usually though, during that time, they'll help you find a regular psychologist/psychiatrist. The psychologist they referred me to was great and I wouldn't have found her if I'd searched myself.

Also, I had a Top Secret security clearance (and still do) and nothing from that ever affected my clearance, although my problem was minor depression issues that were really found to be the seasonal associative disorder problem (somtimes known as a severe case of the "winter blues").

With security clearances, as long as you don't hide anything, and seek help, that is usually a positive. Although, substance abuse/alchoholism may be different.

In any event, the employer should not even know you went to the EAP program. I am sure the rules haven't changed much in 12 or so years since I went to the EAP program. Seems like many private companies have it too. My present employer has it, and advertises it often actually as a good way to get short term help at no cost. I had a different employer back then, but the program sounds the same to me - it doesn't seem to have changed, even between employers.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:06 AM

446 posts, read 1,645,768 times
ScranBarre--

I'm sorry to hear about your current troubles. You can get help and find solutions to lead a happy and productive life in this great country we live in.

I recommend Dr. Paula Bass, a psychologist in Fairfax. I believe she is taking new patients. Her number is 703-591-8263 and her website is www.drpaulabass.com.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,700,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Like ngadude said, it's all confidential. It's not like you're walking up to your supervisor and telling them your issues, nor are the counselors even allowed to discuss your problems with anyone unless you authorize them to do so.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,652,426 times
Organizations that administer EAP programs don't do it for free. If the employee isn't paying for it...then the employer is.

Thus, a business relationship exists between the employer and the EAP outfit...therefore, I would take any promises of "confidentiality" with a grain of salt. Maybe I'm too cynical...but your employer is NOT your friend.

Plus, IMO, psychotherapy is a bunch of hooey anyway. What possible benefit is there to pouring one's heart out to some stranger? If I had a problem I wanted to talk about, I'd tell my dog....I know he cares about me...and he doesn't bill by the hour!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 AM

53 posts, read 99,296 times
I know this isn't what you specifically asked for but you may want to consider the information anyway.

There are some who believe that the ailments you describe can come from parasites living inside of us, sad to say. What would improve your situation would be remedies that starve and kill off these parasites. There are many authors who have written on the subject as well as online communities that speak openly about what works for them. Usually it involves taking herbal remedies to destroy the parasites as well as their eggs. Also, modifying not only one's diet but as well as the soaps, shampoos, skin conditioners, cleaning solutions, etc. you use is also very important. I also second adolphos advice about getting more sunshine. Either take a week or two vacation to some tropical getaway or invest in some of Dr. Ott's lamps that produce natural lighting.

Cat Parasite Affects Everything We Feel and Do - ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Dye...2288095&page=1

Woman Diagnosed With Brain Tumor Actually Had A Brain Worm
http://babyboomeradvisorclub.com/200...-a-brain-worm/

Parasites Support Forum
http://www.curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=336

Parasites: Drugs Against Parasites Support Forum
http://www.curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=943

are your skin care products making you sick?
http://curezone.com/blogs/fmp.asp?i=978638

Full Spectrum Lighting
http://www.ottlite.com/

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
Sometimes the one with the most qualifications is not always the best choice. I have a resume of life experience and I feel that what I call, "Straight talk" would be very benefitial. My email is [email]wildman2014@yahoo.com[/email] , if you or anyone would like to give it a try, drop me a line.

Last edited by wildman2014; 08-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,938,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman2014 View Post
Sometimes the one with the most qualifications is not always the best choice. I have a resume of life experience and I feel that what I call, "Straight talk" would be very benefitial. My email is wildman2014@yahoo.com , if you or anyone would like to give it a try, drop me a line.
Are offering friendship or selling your services? I'm pretty good at straight talk too, as some here can attest!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 851 times
Nancy Shawki, LCSW. who is located in Fairfax, VA is great and she is helpful. She accepts insurance and is a caring therapist.

That's her website [url=http://www.vanguardtherapy.com]Home[/url]

Old 10-22-2015, 02:17 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,205,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annrn7 View Post
Nancy Shawki, LCSW. who is located in Fairfax, VA is great and she is helpful. She accepts insurance and is a caring therapist.

That's her website Home
2010 topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia