Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times

Advertisements

Little River Turnpike in Annandale was the first toll road in America.

Annandale is one of those places I don't know much about, but you just know it has a bunch of intriguing stories in its history. Any of you long time Annandalians care to share a few? C'mon Car54, I'll bet you know a few good stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Little River Turnpike in Annandale was the first toll road in America.

Annandale is one of those places I don't know much about, but you just know it has a bunch of intriguing stories in its history. Any of you long time Annandalians care to share a few? C'mon Car54, I'll bet you know a few good stories.

Well, I remember riding my bike to Ossian Hall to watch the Annandale Vol. Fire Dept burn it down. Ossian Hall was one of three grand mansions built by the Fitzhugh clan in the 1700's....it resembled Mount Vernon. I think GW was a relative, so maybe they snitched the plans from him. It had fallen into disrepair and they burned it down to make way for the Bristow subdivision. There's about an acre of land on the corner of Royston and Killebrew drives upon which no houses were built...it was a cemetary for Ossian Hall.

It's mentioned here:

History of Annandale

What else...oh, my 10th grade class at Annandale High included Mark Hamill of Star Wars fame.
The world's most famous secretary, Fawn Hall, also was raised in Annandale and graduated from Annandale High, albeit some years after I did.

Maybe I'll think of more later....

Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What else...oh, my 10th grade class at Annandale High included Mark Hamill of Star Wars fame.
It would be fun to run into him at a class reunion!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Butts Corner was named for someone who fell on his butt.

OK, I'm kidding--but wouldn't that make a great story?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 AM

bumping because I know there are plenty more little historical tidbits out there.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM

At the peaceful intersection of Georgetown Pike and Springvale Road in Great Falls, you'll find a most unlikely marker. It says:

"Great Falls Nike Missile Site. Just to the southeast were radar and other control equipment that formed a portion of one of three anti-aircraft missile complexes in Fairfax County. The site was operated by the United States Army between 1954 and 1962. Established during the Cold War to defend Washington from Soviet air attack, this complex, along with those at Fairfax and Lorton, was among thirteen sites that encircled Washington and Baltimore. The ring of Nike missile sites was reminiscent of forts that guarded the capital during the Civil War. The missiles, positioned on above-ground launchers, were located near here to the West."

This site, once the home of prosperous dairy farms that supplied much of the milk for northern VA, played a role in the cold war. The Baltimore-Washington region was considered a single defensive area, and sixteen Nike Ajax batteries, located within a twenty-five mile radius of either city, were constructed around it. Three of these—Lorton, Fairfax/Pohick, and the above location in Great Falls—were in Fairfax County, Virginia.

Thirteen—Accokeek, Brandywine/Naylor, Chestertown, Cronhardt, Croon/Marlboro, Davidsonville, Derwood, Edge wood Arsenal, Fork, Gaithersburg, Granite, Jacobsville, and Mattawoman/Waldorf—were in Maryland. Public lands were used where possible. The first Nike Ajax battery was temporarily placed above ground at Fort George Meade near the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and activated in March 1954. The Lorton site was designated a national site for tours by VIPs and interested civilians.

A condemnation proceeding for acquisition of the Great Falls site was vigorously opposed by the owner. But, to no avail. The acquisition was recorded September 8, 1955. Construction began immediately, and soon after the first troops arrived to guard the top secret work. The owner lived in the house within sight of the launch site until her death in 1980.

The community welcomed the soldiers, inviting them into their homes and churches and including them in social functions. The soldiers, in turn, helped with farm chores, such as haying. One became a scout leader and Little League coach.

The land was never again used for dairy farming. Which is a good thing, not sure I'd want the "special glow" you might get from milk from a Nike Missile Site.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Speaking about Great Falls, the next time you go to Great Falls National Park spend some time in the history exhibit in the Visitor Center. The story of Matildaville and especially the story about the amusement park that used to be there are very intriguing. And you can still walk along the remnants of these things. The old Lovers Lane still has massive quantities of bluebells in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia