U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 PM

80 posts, read 145,968 times
Default Homemade Snowblower? Know how to make one? Snow coming to NOVA!

All the snow blowers are sold out. I have a grass blower, dryvac, pushmower, chainsaw......there has to be a way to make a homemade snow blower. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
TPL

128 posts, read 172,858 times
I got my father a Toro Power Shovel/Snow Blower for Christmas a couple of years back, and it works amazingly well. With deep snow you have to work the layers, but it clears a lot, and it can save your back (It doesn't take up the space of a huge 300lb. snowblower either, nor is it as much of a hassle (I once lugged around a huge snowblower like that with a friend to earn some money clearing driveways, and it's no fun picking that thing up, in/out of a pick-up) ).

With the powder we had last weekend, we only needed a broom and a leaf-blower, so if the snow is very dry (Which I doubt right now), then you can simply employ the use of your leaf blower by itself. If the snow is wet, then we have to be more creative. What attachments do you have? You would need to be able to create enough air pressure to move snow, so if you have a thin-tip for the nozzle, then I can imagine that you can work small layers of snow at a time (You might have to even push it into the snow some, to force it loose).

If you want to actually fab. something, then try taking the blade out of the chainsaw. Attach the motor/handle to a pole (Or sturdy shovel handle), find a screw shaped horizontal blade (Like this:http://jbtoolshop.co.uk/images/2296ERA.jpg) , find a way to attach the chainsaw belt to it (So that it turns the blade), and then it should throw the snow. Ideally, you want a cover over the blade so that it only throws the snow forward, or sideways. Be very carefuly though, because you don't want to hit electrical chords, or living things (YOU, a pet, etc.). Also, a cover is for safety too, because it will contain any debris, or a blade that decides to cut loose.

Another idea would be to do the same as I mentioned above, but instead of using an auger style blade for the throwing element, replace it with a pole/axle, and attach any sort of broom heads to it securely.

Anyways, just some ideas! Let me know what happens.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 PM

3,953 posts, read 6,348,316 times
I suppose your leaf blower would somewhat work on very dry fluffy snow like we had last Saturday...but not the wet stuff or any snow that has been walked or driven on.

The key part of a snow blower is the auger that forces the snow into the impeller which throws the snow. You'd have to be pretty handy and have access to lots of expensive tools to fabricate these parts. Then you'd need a gear case for the auger, a transmission to turn the wheels, and of course a horizontal shaft motor putting out at least 9 ft/lbs of net torque.

Nahhh, I think you better grab a shovel this time.

PS: The time to buy a snowthrower is the spring/summer when they're trying to get rid of the past season's unsold units.

Here's a site with lots of close up pics of snowblowers:

Snow Blowers Direct - Your Online Snowblower Superstore Snow Blower, Snowblowers, Snow Thrower, Snow Throwers, Snowthrower, Snowthrowers

Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
TPL

128 posts, read 172,858 times
Lol, I was thinking of attaching a homemade plow to a Radio Flyer wagon, and then having my Husky pull it with me. I don't want to end up making her hate the snow from overworking her though.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 PM

3,953 posts, read 6,348,316 times
Remember the old TV show "Junkyard Wars"? That was a great show and homemade snowblower would have made a great episode!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,611,839 times
Can you believe Lowes is actually selling "homemade shovels"? They're blocks of wood nailed to a stick and priced $4. I don't know whether to go or but I guess it's better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia