Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 43,482 times

Advertisements

How do you grocery shop without a car? Can you get a cab?

Is it safe for a young woman to walk back to the Carlyle Mill apartment building late at night after working a 4 to 12 shift at the Hoffman Building? Can you get a cab at that hour?

Would you take a cab to Arlington or the Pentagon if you need to go there on occasion? Or would you take the Metro to Arlington or the Pentagon?

Or is a car really a necessity?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:03 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
Yes you can get by W/O a car. There is a Whole Foods about 1/3 mile from there. If you were going to Arlington I would take Metro. Now, I wouldn't like to be w/O a car, but you can do it. Maybe you could buy a clunker for $500 just to get around?

Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 PM

I have a car that my daughter drives here in Maryland - but her job in Virginia may only be short term - and to title and tag the car in Virginia and pay the car tax and buy the decal and all those other things will cost a fortune - and the car may be coming back into Maryland in a few months - and I will have to pay all those things again. I'd prefer her to have a car but it is terribly expensive - if this turns out to be only for the short term. She is going to try to stay with this company but the economy is terrible.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM

32 posts, read 109,148 times
You can get by in that area without a car. It will be easier for people who don't mind walking or don't mind eating out very close. For groceries you can always take a cab or get a zip car (there are usually zipcars right at the eisenhower metro). The nearest Target/walmart is less than 5 miles and you'd need a car.
I lived there and would frequently walk to dinner in the old town area, but it is around a 30-40 minute walk each way, which is too much for some people.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEydGirl View Post
I have a car that my daughter drives here in Maryland - but her job in Virginia may only be short term - and to title and tag the car in Virginia and pay the car tax and buy the decal and all those other things will cost a fortune - and the car may be coming back into Maryland in a few months - and I will have to pay all those things again. I'd prefer her to have a car but it is terribly expensive - if this turns out to be only for the short term. She is going to try to stay with this company but the economy is terrible.
I would say that she can drive the car in VA even if it stays registered in Md... Its still your car right?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Sadly, VA says even if I own the car, if it is there for like more than 30 days it has to be registered there. And my insurance company says the same thing. Apparently there are rules about a MD car being permanently garaged in another state. Since it has MD insurance it might not have all the insurance that VA requires. It really makes it hard for people who are trying to follow the rules in these kinds of situations. The zip cars sound like an interesting possibility. Wonder if they have an age requirement? Did you know you have to be 25 to rent a car?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM

32 posts, read 109,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEydGirl View Post
The zip cars sound like an interesting possibility. Wonder if they have an age requirement? Did you know you have to be 25 to rent a car?
I am pretty sure Zipcars can be used by under 25 year olds. I know some college age people who use the service that are 21.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM

mikeva - you are right! I just checked - you only have to be 21 for zipcars. I think that is going to be the best solution since this might be a short term job. Thanks for all your help - I would never have thought of zipcars!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Hmm... I posted in the other thread that a car would be nice, but given your situation (only 4 months), now it seems like a car would be more hassle than its worth.

I mean, you CAN get by without a car and that might be ideal for this situation. You can use Zipcar and the bus system.

Guamanians underestimated the distance to Whole Foods. It's more like 3/4 of a mile. There are a lot of restaurants that are closer than that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia