U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:43 AM

12 posts, read 23,649 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving up to the Fair Lakes / Fairfax area this July. We are in our early-20s and would love to know what there is to do in the area- where are the bars/clubs? Basically, where are the hot spots for people of our age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:54 AM

696 posts, read 1,499,029 times
There is a good pub in downtown Fairfax City (about 10 min from Fair Lakes) called Auld Shebeen. There are actually a couple of bars/clubs there. I've also heard good things about Coastal Flats, but haven't been there yet. From Fair Lakes you are fairly close to Vienna Metro on off-peak hours to Metro into the city and explore there too. That's what I would do if I was a few years younger and w/out kiddos! The nice thing about Fair Lakes area is that ALL of the shopping is right there.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks so much! I've heard that Georgetown has a lot of bars too- is that anywhere near Fair Lakes? We are going to be new to the area, so we're probably going to have to do a lot of exploring first! :-) I'm excited to go into D.C. and see all the sites!

Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 PM

309 posts, read 738,880 times
Its about 30 minutes in non rush to Georgetown. I think you're going to be disappointed w/ Fair Lakes, not exactly a hot bed of clubs/bars for the 20 something set. A few pockets of bars in Fairfax city, Ned Devine's in Centreville and Sterling and Coastal Flats tends to be an older crowd. The Hyatt in Fair Lakes does do live music/outdoor thing on Thursdays starting in the spring, and Blue Iguana can be fun, but Fair Lakes\Fairfax is a very suburban sitting. There is a new alehouse in the Greenbriar shopping center called the Dogfish head which sounds interesting although I haven't been. PJ Skidoos in Fairfax gets a lot of George Mason crowd. Fast Eddie's gets a younger crowd if I recall. Maybe try one of meet up groups for married people new to the area?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 PM

446 posts, read 1,488,781 times
Most of the nightlife is centered around Arlington's Orange Line stations (specifically Ballston and Clarendon) and then of course DC. Old Town Alexandria also has some good restaurant/bar options. Aside from some music clubs (Jammin Java in Vienna and a few in Arlington, the State Theatre in Falls Church and the Birchmere in Alexandria), people go to DC for serious clubbing.

Have you signed on the dotted line for Fair Lakes yet? It sounds like you may not have visited the area yet. If at all possible, come here and visit and check out some places inside the Beltway. From your post, I just get the feeling you may feel Fair Lakes leaves a lot to be desired. It's safe and suburban and all, but just not quite the "hot spot" for folks in their 20s and 30s.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,946,207 times
Most of the young 20s and 30s around there - go to coffee shops, book stores, jog and work out and then go to bed early to be fresh for their high powered jobs - but I could be wrong

Old 02-07-2010, 06:26 PM

34 posts, read 94,133 times
Agree with other posters here. If you want hot spots for early 20s, you're much better off in the Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse corridor. Fair Lakes is suburbs.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 AM

We haven't officially started renting in the area, yet. We figured Fair Lakes would be best because it's close to both of our jobs, but from all of your posts, it looks like we might need to make a trip out to visit and see WHERE we want to live! Thanks so much for the guidance!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvflove View Post
We haven't officially started renting in the area, yet. We figured Fair Lakes would be best because it's close to both of our jobs, but from all of your posts, it looks like we might need to make a trip out to visit and see WHERE we want to live! Thanks so much for the guidance!
Different people look at this in different ways. IMO, you're better off to have a short commute to work and a longer drive to places like Clarendon rather than vice versa.

1. You have to go to work every single day, even on the days you feel crappy. Most people only go out once or twice a week. In addition, most people have to drive to work at the time when traffic is worst. So make your drive to work the shortest drive. You can choose what time you make the longer drive to go out to play, you can't choose when you drive to work. And if you feel crappy you can choose to stay home and not make the longer drive at all.

2. As you grow older, your tastes in where the "hot spots" are will change. Also, communities change. Clubs and restaurants open in new areas, and close in others. So why choose where you'll live based on clubs and restaurants?

3. If you choose to have the long commute every day (instead of commuting to the "hot spot" once a week) you'll spend more $$$ on gas as well as wear and tear on your cars. You also won't have as much time with your family (or to go for a walk or to ride a bike or whatever it is you like to do in your free time).

Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 AM

696 posts, read 1,499,029 times
Will you be renting? If you are renting then I'd stick closer to your job. That way you can go out each summer evening and enjoy the sights. There are many park concerts that take place in the summer, all within driving distance of your neighborhood. Fair Lakes is VERY convenient for the shopping, errands, etc. I'd live closer to those things rather than the "where to do things".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or